Diesel Performance (2)

mysterync

If theres anyone with diesel performance or diesel problem questions, I would be glad to try and help resolve there issues or help answer there questions.
I am in no way saying im an expert but do have some experience and would love to be of assistance! If I dont know the answer, I have lots of resources!

L

What have you heard about cummins cometics? Coming from the turbo v8 world, they are the solution for HG's.

I can't deal with most of the diesel boards.

I understand not being able to deal with the diesel boards.

As far as head gaskets, At this point Rings and Studs still seem like the better option to me! The Cometic crew Swears that the failures are due to lack of block prep, In my honest opinion, there using to much Gasser tech in the gasket! I'm sure block prep has a much larger part when not using rings, but i dont feel its worth the chance at this point!
We should see major developments in this area within the next year or so! If you are planning to use cometics, I would use the ARP Special Aged Studs and Increase my Torque Load on the Studs!

Know anyone in NC that pop tests injectors? I'm looking to get some nozzles once my jeep is back on the trail.....ehhum Braxton.

There is a diesel injection shop in Cary, I know that doesn't help much, but if you're not in a rush, you could mail them to someone local and have them dropped off...

I'd bet Ollie Poole would also know if there was anyone near him..

Its Olee, and Yea Olee's got a buddie that will check them! Where actully in the process of finding Olee a Pop Tester!
Also, Diesel Equipment in Greensboro can help you with that!

L

There is a diesel injection shop in Cary, I know that doesn't help much, but if you're not in a rush, you could mail them to someone local and have them dropped off...

I'd bet Ollie Poole would also know if there was anyone near him..

Sorry to say but they closed down..

Chason diesel in Garner is still open..

Just got a 1.0 turbine housing, up graded wheel & better waste gate actuator.
2000 PSD, 7.3, 6 speed, superchip tuner
what boost pressure should I set my waste gate actuator at?

:popcorn:

30lbs would be the maximum efficient setup for that truck, I doubt with a Superchip you'll have the fuel to provide that much, But thats fine! Basically The Efficient boost is in short terms where your current setup makes more heat than cool charge air. We recommend anywhere from 20-26lbs. For fuel above that, You would probably need a set of stage 2 or 3 injectors, and a boost module that taps into your map sensor to allow more fueling. BUT to keep EGT's in check , i would stay in the 20-25lb range!

your the third person to tell me that advice accepted thanks!!

Yep, Sure do, but a SO VP-44 will be a better option, Give me a shout and I'll explain why!

have you still got my number?

I had my stock injector pump replaced somewhere around 65k on my '02 CTD. I plan on putting over 5k miles on it over a two wk period this fall. I'm now at 125K and I'm wondering if its getting time for the stock replacement to go again. I've never heard if the replacement was supposed to be any better/worse/same. Should I be worried?

With VP-44's the key is fuel flow. Without a Pressure gauge, and a stock lift pump the Supply pressure can quickly drop under 5LBS on a STOCK truck. When we add performance parts the fuel demand goes up. Over time the low pressure issue allows major pump parts AS well as a small diaphragm in the pump to wear. The diaphragm under low fuel conditions over extends which in time will crack the diaphragm surface allowing fuel into the electronics of the pump causing the all to famous PO216 code! This code can also be the result of failing Solder joints on the board ! So the Problem is , The lack of fuel to cool the VP-44 has caused accelerated wear on a pump that was never designed to be used in an automotive scenario in the first place.

The Solution is very simple, Adequate fuel flow into the pump (14-16 constant PSI no lower than 10 PSI)
This can be achieved through a few different methods!

1:A Fuel Air Separation System or FASS for short has a strong enough pump , Complete new plumbing, as well as an on board Fuel Filter, Air Separator, and Water Separator. The unit boast a 4-6 year warranty with filters available in most auto parts stores and performance shops! Available in Multiple GPH and Sizes

2: HPFP from The same company that manufactures the FASS, Diesel Performance Products! This is the same pump and plumbing setup without the filters and air separator!

3: Air Dog , Basically the exact same part as the fass, and as a mater of fact, Manufactured by the father of the owner of the FASS Patent! This product offers less of a warranty and a smaller setup! The fass pumps are designed to handle the absolute toughest conditions on earth , From race trucks to the Ice Road trucks, The fass has proven itself! The Airdog is designed with less quality control and reliability concerns but still is a great option for the daily driver, And more economical as well!

3: The Bully Dog, BD Power and Holley Blue Setup. This pump is a decent setup but leaves alot to be desired! All of the Above use the same pump except the BD , Which uses another Gas Designed pump . The reliability of these systems are low but there extremely economical. Basically a Holley Blue Pump with no Regulator and a big line kit from the tank or tank lines to the pump, and then bigger lines as well to the fuel filter housing. The problems are related to short life, More so in colder climates. Secondly the pressure is higher than we like to see without the regulator, but the regulator restricts fuel flow to the point our minimum of 10lbs cannot be maintained! A Great option for budget systems!

4: Dual pump setup or pump relocation kits consist of plumbing ,brackets and in some cases an additional pump. In theory the relocation kits move the factory carter pump away from vibrations of the block into a less hostile environment, which in most cases extends pump life by a few 1,000 to 100,000 miles but not a true fix to the problem, Especially in modified trucks!

5: The factory Mopar fix... This system removes the original pump and replaces it with a intake pump. This system only further complicated the problem and fixed nothing!

So This long post boils down to this...

A Fuel Pressure gauge or Low Pressure Light is Required!
Anything Under 10PSI is unacceptable but in cases with the BD fuel pressure Warning light, the light will not trigger until 5 lbs or lower!

The Factory in-tank pump must be by-passed with something to the nature of a new draw.. or most widely known as a "draw straw" Very simply to make and available from any diesel performance shop!

While I cannot diagnose if your pump is dying over the internet, The Most Noticeable symptoms are as follows:

1: White or blue smoke on startup
2: Dead Pedal or not throttle at all (also caused by Failing APPS)
3: No Start when warm
4: Miss or Low Power
5: Fuel injection codes , Such as PO216, PO215 or PO1689

Most Likely if you haven't suffered one or more of these your pump is fine, but fuel pressure should be checked ASAP!

Hope this helps!
My fingers are tired, Sorry for the long post!
L

I've been running the Airdog system for 3mos now with
16-17lbs at the FP gauge. I have only noticed a little white smoke on start up after the truck has been sitting overnight, other than that she still feels good and can't wait to get the big load hitched up again.

Most Likely your fine. Its hard to say, but I'd be willing to say your just seeing the normal blue smoke caused by cold fuel , cold air and incomplete fuel burn!

I've been running the Airdog system for 3mos now with
16-17lbs at the FP gauge. I have only noticed a little white smoke on start up after the truck has been sitting overnight, other than that she still feels good and can't wait to get the big load hitched up again.

Come tow my shit to mtn city this weekend for some practice. I wouldn't want you getting rusty, then going on a 5,000 trip towing a tank trailer and jeep.

:fuck-you:

ITP rebuild

If theres anyone with diesel performance or diesel problem questions, I would be glad to try and help resolve there issues or help answer there questions.
I am in no way saying im an expert but do have some experience and would love to be of assistance! If I dont know the answer, I have lots of resources!
L

Got a 2000 PSD, f250, 2wd with serious power loss... Plan on getting the ITP rebuild kit cuz, I really think it's the Turbo. Have any opinions on the ITP diesel rebuild kit?

Thanks,
JayT

Just picked up a 04 Dodge. How do I tell if it is the new 600 motor? On the sticker it says 325 HP but my buddy has a 04 and his motor looks different to me for some reason. I have a power pup off my 03 that I would like to add but dont think it will work on the 04.5. Will it not plug up or just not work on the 600 motor.

Toddy

Got a 2000 PSD, f250, 2wd with serious power loss... Plan on getting the ITP rebuild kit cuz, I really think it's the Turbo. Have any opinions on the ITP diesel rebuild kit?
Thanks,
JayT

Jay,
First of All , I cant really Diagnose something like that with it not in the shop! The truth of the matter, it could be anything from an HPOP to a turbo or Transmission issues. If it were the turbo, I would recommend purchasing a complete turbo. The warranty is well worth the extra cost! Secondly, You WOULD have to get the charger balanced if you did it personally!

JMO!
L

Just picked up a 04 Dodge. How do I tell if it is the new 600 motor? On the sticker it says 325 HP but my buddy has a 04 and his motor looks different to me for some reason. I have a power pup off my 03 that I would like to add but dont think it will work on the 04.5. Will it not plug up or just not work on the 600 motor.
Toddy

It would be according to vin, What date was the truck made? I'll be able to tell for sure with that!
The power pup will work , would probably need an update!
Get me some more information and I'll do what i can to help!
L

Build date 6-04
VIN 3D7KU28CX4G267824
What do you mean by update on the box? It is a plug in box that goes between the sensors on the motor.

Toddy

Build date 6-04
VIN 3D7KU28CX4G267824
What do you mean by update on the box? It is a plug in box that goes between the sensors on the motor.
Toddy

How many miles are on the truck and if you can PM me your last name , I'll get you some information!
I understood it as the box was a power pup, Which is a plug in downloader, If it is an underhood box, it will not work!
L

Back