D-6

This used to be a joke. Now its the future.
Wait till Elon announces "nano tech battery" that can go 100k miles on a single charge.

Reactor or flux capacitor? I hope it's the latter so I can go fix 2020.

Not worth the risk. Imagine if something happened and you just had to relive 2020.

At this point, I’m just hoping 2021 welcomes us, but I fear when 2021 arrives it’ll just be like “hold my beer”

I fear when 2021 arrives it’ll just be like “hold my beer”

Regardless of who wins the election, my fear is 2021 will simply be 2020 part II but be a much worse sequel than Speed 2

This used to be a joke. Now its the future.
I was only half joking.
If @MetalCraftSolved is going to try and totally redesign a buggy from the ground up, why do it in a world that thousands of other guys have already tried, and has been pretty well refined?
Do this kind of botom-up approach in a new area where you don't have a ton of things already figured out, and there is opportunity to be a leader.

IMO race buggies are an ideal situation for electric. Unlike consumer vehicles, the "possible range" thing is much less an issue. You know you're only going to need it for what, 150 miles? 200 miles? And thats only for a KOH situation, most races are way shorter. And the instant torque is a major bonus in this application.

^^
giphy.gif

I wanted to mock up with both a steering rack, and an HD steering box. This particular one is a Chevrolet 3500 steering box. I was tossing around the idea of using it to gain some leverage on the knuckle, but turns out I couldn't even fit it in the neighborhood of where it needed to be. The choice was simple after that. I ended up using the Howe 3.0 Truggy rack to turn the tires. I had to modify a 2.5 rack I found to a 3 inch cylinder with a 6 inch throw. 3 inches, each side.

I didn't know how long it would take to find the steering geometry I was after, but it was pretty easy to get 34.5 degrees of steering angle with zero bump steer.

Next I need to call RCV and ask them how much steering angle I can get from my outer Bell with 26.5 degrees of droop. Then I'll have what I need to complete the steering linkage, and fabricate complete steering knuckles.

steering 1.jpg

steering 2.jpg

steering 3.jpg

steering 4.jpg

Steering 5.jpg

Steering 6.jpg

119965298_1717177525124106_3390529644948150714_o.jpg

119967794_1717173771791148_5982675661116969641_o.jpg

120073309_1717181578457034_1549295465681868976_n.jpg

Steering 7.jpg

Steering 8.jpg

Last edited:
RCV says that I'm limited to a compound angle of 44.83 degrees on the outer steering joint. The axle angle, and the steering angle have to add up to less than 45 degrees.

Which means - if I run the 26.5 degrees of axle droop like I have setup presently, I am limited to 18.33 degrees of steering angle.

Guess this week, I'll be trying to decide how much I like wheel travel VS steering angle.

I still don't understand the complete lack of explanation of who @MetalCraftSolved is.

Convinced it’s all fake. I agree with Paul that this whole “build” is nothing more than someone playing with software and trolling us all to drive up clicks and forum traffic.

RCV says that I'm limited to a compound angle of 44.83 degrees on the outer steering joint. The axle angle, and the steering angle have to add up to less than 45 degrees.

Which means - if I run the 26.5 degrees of axle droop like I have setup presently, I am limited to 18.33 degrees of steering angle.

Guess this week, I'll be trying to decide how much I like wheel travel VS steering angle.

Might have been a good idea to have that data before, don't you think ?

I think is name is David Guest and he screwed a bunch of people with his so called welding and fab skills or something like that..

I'm 99% sure the OP is who you are thinking he is.

If he is, he is a damned good, maybe great, welder.
Very good wheel man.
I think he has a hell of a heart and means well.

In the past he has been known to bite off way more than he could chew and maybe lacked the organizational skills to pull off everything he "envisioned".
He has been exposed and has contacts to some of the biggest names in the offroad racing world.

He's also had a couple of builds go sideways with a 4 guys I call friends. I repeat that I think he has a good heart. I just havent figured out how to reconcile the two.

I'm hoping hes more mature and has learned form his mistakes. Maybe he will show up at URE Saturday...

I'm 99% sure the OP is who you are thinking he is.

If he is, he is a damned good, maybe great, welder.
Very good wheel man.
I think he has a hell of a heart and means well.

In the past he has been known to bite off way more than he could chew and maybe lacked the organizational skills to pull off everything he "envisioned".
He has been exposed and has contacts to some of the biggest names in the offroad racing world.

He's also had a couple of builds go sideways with a 4 guys I call friends. I repeat that I think he has a good heart. I just havent figured out how to reconcile the two.

I'm hoping hes more mature and has learned form his mistakes. Maybe he will show up at URE Saturday...

I just want to see real tube being laid down/bent and welded together.

designs are one thing, but making it real is a different ball of wax

Was wondering how long it would take you to figure this out.
Those of us who have wheeled and broken IFS rigs have seen it many times, it isn't really the axle droop angle that gets you. It when the wheel is drooped AND you have the wheels at an angle.

Remember the CV axle disctates a range of motion and angles for the wheel that is a cone, not a square/cube. There is a 2d square with an arc as the 3d dimension superimposed upon that by the control arm geometry. Only the overlap between those two things is the possible range before something breaks.

Last edited:
Remember the CV axle disctates a range of motion and angles for the wheel that is a cone, not a square/cube. There is a 2d square with an arc as the 3d dimension superimposed upon that by the control arm geometry. Only the overlap between those two things is the possible range before something breaks.

Could you explain that again, but in a different way? I don't get it.

OK lets try this, unfortunately I don't have easy access to a way to draw it out.

The control arms move up and down. Lets call this the Y dimension. However because they are on a pivot point, it's actually an arc - if you look at it from the front of the buggy, the outside of the wheel hub is farthest away from the differential when it is straight out. It is closer to the middle when at the highest and lowest points of travel. Lets call this view the Z dimension. There is no movement in X (hopefully!).

Now for a moment forget about the control arms and wheel hub and just think about that axle. It can bend in the X and Y dimensions. However this bending is bound at the center, in a circle. Imagine if that axle was in the differential and you held the shaft on teh other end of the CV in your hand and rotate it around clockwise. It's circular. but it also has an arc in the Z dimension just like the control arms do.
At the differential end, the arc centroid of the control arms and the arc of the axle shaft (in the Z domain) need to line up as well as possible. Commonly the axle one is much deeper in in order to minimize its movement.

The hub though is where it gets hard. The steering means the hub swivels, which means there is an extra dimension added that the control arms don't have. when the hub rotates, it actuallu puls the shaft out slightly, which changes its range of motion. So when the steering is at lock, the axle "cone" of rotation is different from when it is straight. and all of that must fit within the arc of the control arms.

It gets much worse b/c the steerin garms also have their own arc... and the point of pivot for the steering arms may not match the point of pivot for the control arms or the axle. Like in your drawing b/c the ram is wide. You get binding and breakage when all of these arcs intersect and things break when you go past the overlapping portions.
In an ideal magical fairyland world, all 3 have pivots in the same point, which is the very center of the vehicle. But the Second Law of Physics prevents that.

My prior use of the term "square" was incorrect, its more of a line b/c the control arms don't move in the X dimension.

Last edited:
Back