Bronco Reveal

So now I really need to get the '73 up and running just so I have an excuse to get a matching newer model just to be that guy.
I'm thinking 3-4 years... which is right when my son will be starting college, so either he'll get a fab scholarship and I'll be looking to burn extra money, or poor and going for broke anyway.

I'd be willing to be 95% or more of JK/JL never get wheeled and stay pavement pounders until their second owner.
A buddy that had been joking w/ me about this upcoming release called me at 8:30 and chatted for awhile.
He said, "after watching the video, I just don't get it. who are they marketing to? I mean really, how many people are there that are actually offroaders? How many people actually drive fast one desert trails? This has to be a tiny market segment."
I couldn't help laughing in his face.
"Dude... how many Wranglers do you see on the road? How many of those people are off roaders? Do you realize Jeep has pretty much never had to have a real sale on them, b/c they always sell like hotcakes?"
Ford is making a direct grab at a market segment that is huge and current has zero competition.

I also think that the line breakdown w/ the sport model was a great way to do it. Just 1 slightly watered down grocery-getter version that is plenty enough for the guy that wants the name and look but not really commit to a true offroad vehicle.

I have a 16 2.7 ecoboost F150 with twins, and it’s a jet rocket
my 73 EB needs a drivetrain overhaul and I think a swap of that whole 2.7 DT would be pretty sweet.

So not to get too far off topic, but how are those eco-boost motors on longevity? I know for fact once Mercedes started putting turbos on everything their longevity sucked in comparison to previous engine designs. It seems also the smaller the engine, with boost thrown at it, suffers worse than the larger displacement ones. Do you get 250-300k out of one without throwing a huge amount of $$$$ at it?

I was very skeptical of the whole thing. Expecting a competitor to the new Blazer. Must admit that overall, it's a win. Probably won't buy one but it's a lot better than I expected. Sounded like the Ford website crashed hard last night due to folks pre-ordering.

I like it. I read no 7 speed manual with the 2.7, bummer! I was saddened not to see a v8 option. I know nothing of the ecoboost motors. Do they share the same transmission mount? So in theory you could put the 7 speed behind the 2.7?

I was ultimately expecting it to be another blazer, which im glad its not. I like the body for the most part but wasn't sold on the drive train. I felt like for 10 years of waiting they could at least knock it out of the park. But it ultimately fits in with there "Market", I also don't thing there market was jeep owners. Just look at there marketing slogans the broncos was like "into the wild." So basically getting people to the hiking trail, the lake, the park. While jeeps is goes anywhere, which is pretty much self explained. So I really see them competing for 2 different markets. I bet you will see a good bit of 4 runner and Subaru guys coming over to get something more rugged but street able.

Still not sure why you can't get a 2 door soft top. Seems pretty dumb to me.

E6CF679A-1BEA-4F8B-B2FD-3B319EE14FF9.jpeg

Just look at there marketing slogans the broncos was like "into the wild." So basically getting people to the hiking trail, the lake, the park. While jeeps is goes anywhere, which is pretty much self explained.

Its terrain management system is called GOAT Modes. Goes Over Any Terrain. They're absolutely shooting for the same market.

So not to get too far off topic, but how are those eco-boost motors on longevity? I know for fact once Mercedes started putting turbos on everything their longevity sucked in comparison to previous engine designs. It seems also the smaller the engine, with boost thrown at it, suffers worse than the larger displacement ones. Do you get 250-300k out of one without throwing a huge amount of $$$$ at it?

I have watched a lot of videos on ecoboost motors and carbon coated intake valves because of oil in the pcv stream (and probably from the turbos themselves), direct injection means no detergent on the valves. The turbos also have a failure of the internal waste gate which requires a complete turbo replacement.

Ford wasn't offering a warranty as most make it past 100k before the recommended head or turbo replacement. There are a lot of cleaning options coming into the market, if I owned one, I would make an intake fogging part of a 20k maint. Program.

I have watched a lot of videos on ecoboost motors and carbon coated intake valves because of oil in the pcv stream (and probably from the turbos themselves), direct injection means no detergent on the valves. The turbos also have a failure of the internal waste gate which requires a complete turbo replacement.

Ford wasn't offering a warranty as most make it past 100k before the recommended head or turbo replacement. There are a lot of cleaning options coming into the market, if I owned one, I would make an intake fogging part of a 20k maint. Program.

If it's like most engine families that have the PCV oil issue, a properly designed aftermarket PCV catch-can will probably take care of the intake oiling problem for fairly cheap. Whether it should be necessary on a stock engine is a different story, but at least it's usually a straightforward problem to solve.

Last edited:

LMAO! Classic!

They are probably going to sell a TON of Bronco's. People will love being able to buy them already outfitted with everything straight from the factory.

I don't know squat about the small Ecoboost motors, but I would by far prefer a NA large V6 or V8. I guess I'm not the target buyer though.

Wife and I watched the video last night. I was very impressed, especially with the 2door version. I've always been a jeep guy but I could seriously see myself owning one. Wife even said she would buy one too and trade in her 2015 grand cherokee. I did hope to hear for a v8 but I was impressed that they even offered a manual version. The IFS front was a slight disappointment but it looked to handle well on the closed course in the video. The Sasquatch package looks :huggy:

I understand the "disappointment" for the IFS front, but then again I dont.
Actually doing so would be anti-legacy ford.
Hell the whole reason I got into K5 and K10 was because they were SFA and cheaper to lift as a young dumb redneck.

Fords full size offering (other than the SuperDuty) were some form of TTB or similar for a long time.

And as much as the young dumb redneck wants a SFA so I can block lift it to the moon...I dont think anyone is going to argue that IFS front is better on the street, better at soaking up the whoops in the sand, and better articulating.
At this point its literally like arguing for a carburetor as a better solution.

I really like them, looks like a more "refined" wrangler. I just can't spend that much on a wrangler knowing it still doesn't ride very well and has a lot of wind/road noice. Curious how these are.

I'm sure someone is already ordering one with the intentions of slapping that new Godzilla 7.3 in it for SEMA......
FIFY

I like the 100" and 116" wheelbases - long enough and not too long. The fender flares are a bit cartoony, but all in all, a definite "would". The 4 door would make a sweet family truckster.

I forgot all about that 7.3 motor.....

I'm sure someone is already ordering one with the intentions of slapping that new 5.0 in it for SEMA......

I was looking for any internet hits on a Godzilla 7.3 swap already. Couldn’t find anything current, but did find some hypothetical threads when the Bronco was becoming real and the 7.3 had been announced back in Q419. With some hood mods, sounds like it could be possible. At first I thought the weight would be ridiculous, but the Bronco isn’t that far off dimensionally from 90’s half tons...and guys were 460 swapping those.

Back