Best Burger

Five guys lets me down every time I have to pay for it. It's not much better than Cookout, in my opinion, and a whole LOT more expensive. Plus, you can get a corndog as a side at Cookout! First St. Draught used to be the best burger in W-S, but like everybody else, cost cutting and staff changes have brought it's status down to just "good."

You want a great burger, check out Black Jack's Pub in West Jefferson. Possibly the best burger I've had in NC. Great place to sit, eat a burger and hand-cut sweet potato fries, drink a beer and watch the game. I wish we could get an In-n-out over here, but their company philosophy won't allow it. Like cookout, only different. I don't know what it is, it's a simple burger, but so fresh and good.

Five guys lets me down every time I have to pay for it. It's not much better than Cookout, in my opinion, and a whole LOT more expensive. Plus, you can get a corndog as a side at Cookout!
Pretty much nailed my opinion of Five Guys. I've never left there happy. The fries are always too greasy, the burgers are not that exciting, and the price is way too high.

If you're ever in the Gastonia area, Kyle Fletchers BBQ has one of the best burgers around if you like simple toppings.

As for chains, I'm a big fan of Red Robin and their Sauteed Shroom burger.

Five guys lets me down every time I have to pay for it. It's not much better than Cookout, in my opinion, and a whole LOT more expensive. Plus, you can get a corndog as a side at Cookout! First St. Draught used to be the best burger in W-S, but like everybody else, cost cutting and staff changes have brought it's status down to just "good."

You want a great burger, check out Black Jack's Pub in West Jefferson. Possibly the best burger I've had in NC. Great place to sit, eat a burger and hand-cut sweet potato fries, drink a beer and watch the game. I wish we could get an In-n-out over here, but their company philosophy won't allow it. Like cookout, only different. I don't know what it is, it's a simple burger, but so fresh and good.

I feel the exact same way with five guys and cook out. But that burger I had a first st. the other day was fantastic. And I agree, its been 10 years since I had an in-n-out 3x3 but I will never forget it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

man, you guys are making me want to go to Five Guys....I was actually gonna eat there right before christmas and for some reason, it didn't happen. I think I am gonna eat there on Saturday or Friday night.
Cook out is good, but their lettuce is ALWAYS soggy and their bread gets on my nerves.... I was googling pictures of Five guys burgers and they look SO good.

I feel the exact same way with five guys and cook out. But that burger I had a first st. the other day was fantastic. And I agree, its been 10 years since I had an in-n-out 3x3 but I will never forget it.

10 years ago, it was a full 1/2lb seasoned patty, juicier, bigger, and more fries. It's still a damn good burger, just not what it used to be.

I will say, if you get a chance to try Bib's smoked burger with homemade pimento cheese, it's awesome! They don't offer it all the time, but catch it sometime and you won't be disappointed. It's different, but very good.

10 years ago, it was a full 1/2lb seasoned patty, juicier, bigger, and more fries. It's still a damn good burger, just not what it used to be.

I will say, if you get a chance to try Bib's smoked burger with homemade pimento cheese, it's awesome! They don't offer it all the time, but catch it sometime and you won't be disappointed. It's different, but very good.

I love pimento cheese on my burger. Think I'll check them out tonight, maybe I'll get lucky.

i love cookout, but I'm more interested in finding a good cheap burger than just a good burger. Sides and shakes send it over the top...corndog, nuggets, chicken quesadilla, bacon wrap as side, and more shake varieties than anyone (the cheesecake flavors are the best imho)

Jack int he box new sirloin burger is really good for fast food. For me a good restaurant burger must have an egg on it.

Hams makes an alright burger, but for 2.99 for a burger and fries on tuesday nights, itll be one of the best burgers around in my eyes haha.

Ive never eaten five guys, perhaps Ill try it.

Seriously Sticky Burger at any Sticky Fingers. Half pound angus topped with pulled pork, cheese and Memphis BBQ sauce. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Fat Daddys in CLT

*** thread hijack- BY FAR the best chicken sandwhich is TJ's SuperCham, but it HAS to be from the Country Club location in W/S

I love pimento cheese on my burger. Think I'll check them out tonight, maybe I'll get lucky.

Doesn't look like they have it tonight. Don't let that stop you, though. Go get a brisket plate and a side of Brunswick Stew.

i love cookout, but I'm more interested in finding a good cheap burger than just a good burger. Sides and shakes send it over the top...corndog, nuggets, chicken quesadilla, bacon wrap as side, and more shake varieties than anyone (the cheesecake flavors are the best imho)

Tony, I hear you. Value has to play into the equation, too. I've never had black truffle on a burger, and I'm not sure I'd want to. I'll gladly pay $8-$9 every once in a while for a good, fresh burger with lots of options and some killer fries. but when you get into the $15-$30 range, it kinda defeats the point of a burger in my eyes. And I really don't understand the egg on a burger thing, either. I once had a dream of opening a higher-end burger joint in West Jefferson. Just thought they needed one. Black Jack's is doing it almost exactly how I had envisioned it. If you get a chance, eat there. You'll understand what I consider a "gourmet" burger.

Hmm. Ok, now Im thinking.

Our group gets together for food once atleast every 2 weeks... Maybe we could make a few stops around and hit up some of these places, preferably the ones closer to Greensboro.

Just had Cookout for lunch :D

Don't let anyone talk you guys into driving all the way to Siler City to get a burger at Johnson's. Its way overhyped to me and alot of people around here. The owner only makes a certain amount of patties per day and once he runs out, thats it. And they charge for every refill on tea and drinks.I live 10 mins away and I've only eaten there a couple times.

just looked up some pics of a burger from five guys on google.....WOW they look awesome!!! I am gonna have to try it this weekend! Lettuce, Pickles, tomato, and BBQ sauce!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Pinky's Westside in Charlotte has some good burger combinations, pimento cheese covered fries and cherry lemon sundrops. I agree about the expensive burger thing, I don't get it, after a certain point I'll just have a steak for a few dollars more.

I'd second Cook Out over 5 guys. 5 guys are just a sloppy mess and expensive around here, maybe your chain location is different.
I like some plain ole cheap What-a-burgers in Concord and Kannapolis with a Witch Doctor to drink. Hardee's has some nice burgers to, stop laughing, some are really good. Fuddruckers I like because I can load it up the way I want at the bar thing. I have eaten at Fat Daddy's, good but always crowded at lunch. Ed's Tavern is a few blocks away off the main drag, it has good burgers and angus burgers but no crowd because it's kind'a hidden, the night time crowd packs it up. Ed's is where the Carolina or Duke fan(?) got shoved into the street and ran over!

Last edited:
The prices at Five Guys tends to put a bad taste in my mouth. I'm happy as long as the burger has slaw, chilli, and bacon on it.

Nice! Somebody mentioned Hardee's! There's only one in Craven County now, but it's awesome. The burger they have with jalepenos is awesome! Southwest Patty Melt, I think? And the Memphis BBQ burger is gooooood too. On a side note, so are the buffalo chicken tenders.

Red Robin is pretty damn good too, gotta go all the way to Jacksonville for that though.

I like to eat at a place that has good food, decent prices, good wait staff, some eye candy, and good beer. I don't mind making a drive to eat good either.

Back