Any tips for traveling in Japan?

If they have difficulty understanding you, I find it best to pull the corners of my eyes back and say it again with a Japanese accent. That seems to work most times. Your results may vary.

They eat some weird shit over there. I don't eat fish or seafood except for shrimp. Seemed like every meal we ate when I was there had some kind of seafood in it. I always made sure to find the McDonald's or 711 close by.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Today’s culinary adventure:

Started with ‘Japanese pickles’ which I was told is squid, fish eggs, seaweed, and ?? In a ginger vinaigrette kind of sauce.

4B178444-1FD9-44D9-80FD-14E1B4AA3EDA.jpeg

Then on to the yellowtail salad..

66936614-7F06-42AA-8714-85D19F923B81.jpeg

Then the sweet corn tempura. This was served with a sweet dipping sauce and quite good...

8C9BE1AE-DB6B-410F-AF82-7C7A7FB72B6F.jpeg

Then the star of the show, chicken on a stick (definitely NOT chicken) and a corn dog made of chicken skin patte that you dip in the barely poached egg in the little bowl.

DE1DBDE8-FE70-4D4E-9905-6468C4D72977.jpeg

I couldn’t bring myself to finish the chicken skin dog.

Started with ‘Japanese pickles’ which I was told is squid, fish eggs, seaweed, and ?? In a ginger vinaigrette kind of sauce.

View attachment 295553

View attachment 295554

Then the sweet corn tempura. This was served with a sweet dipping sauce and quite good...

View attachment 295555

Then the star of the show, chicken on a stick (definitely NOT chicken) and a corn dog made of chicken skin patte that you dip in the barely poached egg in the little bowl.

View attachment 295556

Cat on a stick

View attachment 295553

View attachment 295554

View attachment 295555

View attachment 295556

I don't know if you ordered for yourself, but you've found a major issue with trying to decipher menus in Kanji.

Matching up the symbol for chicken may get you fried chicken or chicken yakitori, but it can also get you chicken cartilage or chicken hearts yakitori.

I don't know if you ordered for yourself, but you've found a major issue with trying to decipher menus in Kanji.

Matching up the symbol for chicken may get you fried chicken or chicken yakitori, but it can also get you chicken cartilage or chicken hearts yakitori.

Character languages FTW! I have not been ordering for myself. Thus far, I have been asking my Japanese counterpart (whose English is nearly impossible to comprehend) to recommend traditional Japanese dishes and then I yay or nay. The funny thing is, he described the chicken plate as “bbq chicken” when ordering and then later gave me the real breakdown (with the help of google translate).

My new Japanese friend and I will part ways tomorrow evening and I’ll get to have some fun figuring it out myself until my flight home Thursday afternoon. So stay tuned to see what happens :lol:

Yes that looks VERY good!

One final note on food in Japan: If all else fails, McD’s double cheeseburger tastes EXACTLY the same as it does in NC. I can’t lie, I was actually a little disappointed to uncover this truth. McD’s quality system FTW.

View attachment 295717

According to @adamk that does not hold true in China.

According to @adamk that does not hold true in China.

I tried to buy a burger at McDs in Beijing but the only form of payment accepted was mobile phone pay app. :cool:

They also had some cool stuff like a German burger that had a brat on it. The McDs in Tokyo had a teriyaki versions of fish and chicken, but otherwise the menu was the same as the US.

Husband spotted on Youtube the Japanese vending machines that looks like you can anything out of them. Fried potatoes,noddles apples bananas to damn near anything else.Look like the guy had a map with all the machines on it with what they have. Some of things in them would work over here in thee schools. Pizza in 5 min,burger in a box,2 min

Husband spotted on Youtube the Japanese vending machines that looks like you can anything out of them. Fried potatoes,noddles apples bananas to damn near anything else.Look like the guy had a map with all the machines on it with what they have. Some of things in them would work over here in thee schools. Pizza in 5 min,burger in a box,2 min

I have heard of these and was passively looking for one, but no luck. Most of the machines I saw looked like this:

7A4A150C-737B-41C6-8EC8-D81A7C631F10.jpeg

I typed in Japan Vending Machine,an several came up with were there at. Im guessing the naughty ones were in the redlight area. Saw several eat joint that had a machine out front where you order an pay,go inside place your ticket on line of moving bowels. Remember your bowel color wait a bit then the your color comes around get your food. No human contact. Was also told that they have pod hotels near airports trains etc. Look that one up.

Back