Any tips for traveling in Japan?

Andy J.

Doin’ it LIVE
I'm headed for Japan for the first time in a few days for work. I'll be flying into NRT, then will attempt to figure out the train system to head into Tokyo. I will probably have a half day to myself towards the end of the trip. What should I see?

Is American Express accepted anywhere in Japan? Is anything cash only (taxis)?

What say you wise and well-traveled people of NC4x4?

Do you like sushi? I am a HUGE sushi fan, somewhat of a connoisseur. If you like sushi, find some good sushi and report back here with pics.

My understanding is that all American wasabi is really just horse radish because real Wasabi is so hard to source but they have it in Japan.

No real help from me. I just want to live thru sushi pics....

Last edited:
Do you like sushi? I am a HUGE sushi fan, somewhat of a connoisseur. If you like sushi, find some good sushi and report back here with pics.

My understanding is that all American wasabi is really just horse radish because real Wasabi is so hard to source but they have it in Japan.

No real help from me. I just want to live they sushi pics....

I fully intend to try all kinds of sushi and real ramen. Will report back...

Do you like sushi? I am a HUGE sushi fan, somewhat of a connoisseur..

You need to take me to good places near us!

I've ALWAYS wanted to travel to Japan. Never had a desire to go many places, but I'd love to see the whole country. No idea what draws me to it either o_O (I need to find a vendor willing to take me there to do factory tours....yeah...that's the ticket! Mitsubishi, Fujitsu......etc)

Watching this for tips/advice

Staying here:

hilton tokyo.png

You're right near Megaweb Toyota Showcase. They have a car museum and a new product display that you can gawk at the overseas only cruisers that you can't get here (or there).

You're not that far away from the fish market. I've actually never been there though.

You're right near Megaweb Toyota Showcase. They have a car museum and a new product display that you can gawk at the overseas only cruisers that you can't get here (or there).

You're not that far away from the fish market. I've actually never been there though.
Edit: I can expand more later. I'm still traveling to a job in TX

I only spent time in the lounge in the airport for about an hr or so. Tried out one of those fancy Japanese toilets with the water jets and air - worth the trip alone!

I flew into NRT, but I took a bus to the hotel I stayed at. It was easy. It was a pretty long ride.

I had a blast there. I didn't make it to the fish market since you had to be there so early, but I hear that is pretty awesome to experience. I walked a lot around the city just taking in sights and all, walked like 11 miles one of the days.

I have flown into NRT like 4x now I think? The airport kind of sucks, a lot of the restaurants are outside security from what I remember.

What’s the deal with the fish market that keeps being mentioned?

Ok - Back in NC and at a keyboard again.

First, the question on the fish market: It's mostly still referred to as the Tsukiji (Ski-Gee) market, though it has moved to Toyosu. In the early morning (~ 5am) its a live auction of fresh fish, most popular for the Tuna. After that it is pretty dead, but the area around it has plenty of stands to buy some fresh sushi; probably as fresh as you'll come across.

Your question about cash - you need it. The situation has improved greatly in the past 5 years, but you will randomly find a burger restaurant or Korean BBQ that for sure seems like they would take cards, but don't. I generally walk around with ~5,000Y just to be safe (in the US i rarely carry any) but often I don't have to use it. The places that do take cards will take AMEX.

Transportation - There will be an Airport Limosine (brand name - Orange logo) bus that goes directly to your hotel. that will be the easiest to get there. Once you are there, I recommend the taking the train everywhere. Taxi's are expensive. Don't be afraid to mess it up; if you get on the wrong train you can get off and go back the other way for no cost. Get a SUICA card from the machine at the train station (you will need cash to do this). The card itself cost 500Y, then you just load up yen on it and use it as a debit card to ride the train - its an RF thing that you just touch onto the gate. As a visitor you can also get a JR unlimited rail pass for a week or a weekend that is pretty cheap, but that generally has to be done in advance. To navigate the train system, download the app "Hyperdia" to your phone. it will tell you the train times and transfers to where you want to go.

And that dovetails with connectivity - I find the best method is a global WIFI access point. They can be rented from the Softbank kiosk in the arrivals lobby in NRT. Its like 800Y per day for unlimited connectivity and will cover your computer and phone unlike getting a SIM card, then i just enable calling over WIFI on my phone.

More on attractions:

There is a place that you can dress up like a Mario-Kart character and drive around the city. Last i knew it was called Mari-Kart, but i think they were in the process of being sued by Nintendo; hah. I've always wanted to do this, but it's never worked out. You need a translated drivers license before you go (can be had from an AAA)

The Akihabara area is fun to see. It's video game centric with people dressed up on the streets as characters. Everything closes up earlier than you would think though, if you have time I'd take a walk through the area before 7 to experience it.

Sky Tree is a great view, but the lines can be hella long. If you have free time on a week day its quite a bit better.

The zoo in Ueno has Pandas if you are into that type of thing. There is a panda cub there now, so its likely to be busier than usual.

If you want to go out and party, the Roppongi area is where you want to go.

Skip out on Shibuya crossing and Tokyo tower; they often recommended by travel sites but are not worth the effort. The Imperial Palace and Gardens are cool to see, but take a bunch of time.

Any other questions - Just ask.

No real help from me. I just want to live thru sushi pics....
Ask and you shall receive.

Tuna sampling; different grades:

301cefc79529d169ee4503bedad2f498.jpg

I haven't gotten back to add any info yet but Falko has more experience and has been more recent. I'd take his advice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back