95 chevy gears questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to get in a debate with you on this, but that 95 tahoe is a poor choice for towing ...well anything bigger than an ATV.
If you want the GM full size suv for a tow rig you can find a 00-03 with a 5.3 and bigger (4 wheel disc) brakes and a better suspension for the job for under $5k.
yes sir, i'm WELL aware of this. but there's a reason I've owned 4th one now...I LOVE THEM for Family, Comfort, Style, 4WD, and pulls adequately for our/my needs. I just plan on doing some better mods to this one as we are going to keep this for long term family car and want to upgrade it for "little better than what i've had". I've owned so many of them i know them very well, very reliable and on flatish grounds...to me they pull easy...only the steeper hills does it bog with this lower ratio otherwise they are me and the wifes favorite ride!!

Well with that said then good luck!

I love old CJs...they make crappy daily drivers.

and i had one Vortec Tahoe, other 3 being the 95 TBI, and i hated how "problematic" the vortecs are...the injection spider, fuel pumps and lines, other crap too that all my 95 TBIs don't give me so i like these better even though they lack a little power but gain in durability and with the family, that matter more to me than little extra "gizmos" and "vortec" power lol.

I wouldnt put too much stock in the brand name of gears. The set up/install is much more important.
I've heard of new sealed boxes having the wrong "major" name product inside.

I'm not going to get in a debate with you on this, but that 95 tahoe is a poor choice for towing ...well anything bigger than an ATV.
If you want the GM full size suv for a tow rig you can find a 00-03 with a 5.3 and bigger (4 wheel disc) brakes and a better suspension for the job for under $5k.

The only reason I mention buying decent gears is because I have dealt with some ebay "gear with install kits" that are no name stuff and aren't properly treated. No matter how perfect a setup you get they are so soft they wipe the entire face of the teeth off in under a mile.

I will say this just because I just helped finish a turbo build 5.3 cost alone without the motor, just parts to build the system was right at 1500 he then had to buy new injectors and have it tuned that's close to 1200 total. His cost more than that cause he had a stand alone computer and cut down harness that I didn't add in. From a cost effective stand point 4-5 lbs is point less on the horse power and torque gains.

And cause everyone like pictures
uploadfromtaptalk1442888709824.jpg

so it is confirmed there is NO CARRIER BRAKE?? just want to make sure i'm researching right before i plan to buy some bigger gears...surely 3:40s to 4:11s ought to be worth the 500

I will say this just because I just helped finish a turbo build 5.3 cost alone without the motor, just parts to build the system was right at 1500 he then had to buy new injectors and have it tuned that's close to 1200 total. His cost more than that cause he had a stand alone computer and cut down harness that I didn't add in. From a cost effective stand point 4-5 lbs is point less on the horse power and torque gains.

And cause everyone like picturesView attachment 197355
freaking AWESOME AWESOME...yeah maybe i will wait and just pick up another one of these Audi Turbos and just twin turbo this thing then down the road with a built 350 to handle it and make a crazy sleeper out of it with a way to switch the turbo on and off for putting around town...that's been on my mind for years to do to my next Tahoe i bought and this one might be "that one" later down the road lol...it would for sure be one of few on the road and boy would i love to see the look on all them WRX/STI people when they "expect" to spank you by a mile and you're right on their tail!!!

.... You can't just turn a turbo on or off, turn down the psi possibly but not turn it off that would also require multiple tunes to be burnt into the computer other wise the motor will run like shit cause it needs more air. Also the Audi turbos might be to small for what you're wanting to put them on

Dont guess.
Look int he glove box and find the axle code
GU4 - 3.08
GU5 - 3.23
GU6 - 3.42
GT4 - 3.73
GT5 - 4.10
G80 - rear axle lock

and here is a helpful little chart

ai65.photobucket.com_albums_h223_kristiankohn_gear_ratio_chart1.gif

Also the Audi turbos might be to small for what you're wanting to put them on
in my experience with turbo (only on 4cyl though)is i like the smaller turbos since they spool quicker so you get the full boost at lower rpm compared to the bigger flange turbos that put out more power but takes little longer to get full spool. My 93 Eclipse i put a T25 flange turbo in it and at 1400 rpms i had full 18psi boost at my finger tips...everyone else had the T3/T4 flanged turbos and they didn't hit full boost til almost 2000rpms...unless they set it up wrong which i doubt it since they knew a lot more than me, so i like the smaller turbo setup for that reason specifically.

freaking AWESOME AWESOME...yeah maybe i will wait and just pick up another one of these Audi Turbos and just twin turbo this thing then down the road with a built 350 to handle it and make a crazy sleeper out of it with a way to switch the turbo on and off for putting around town...that's been on my mind for years to do to my next Tahoe i bought and this one might be "that one" later down the road lol...it would for sure be one of few on the road and boy would i love to see the look on all them WRX/STI people when they "expect" to spank you by a mile and you're right on their tail!!!

You don't switch a turbo on and off... And I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but your tahoe will never keep up with even a stock first gen WRX. The tahoe is a boat, 2000lbs heavier than a subaru and will surely break if the power necessary to go that fast is applied to it.

and i had one Vortec Tahoe, other 3 being the 95 TBI, and i hated how "problematic" the vortecs are...the injection spider, fuel pumps and lines, other crap too that all my 95 TBIs don't give me so i like these better even though they lack a little power but gain in durability and with the family, that matter more to me than little extra "gizmos" and "vortec" power lol.

Did you just say the Vortec motors were problematic as compared to the TBIs?

:lol:

Dont guess.
Look int he glove box and find the axle code
GU4 - 3.08
GU5 - 3.23
GU6 - 3.42
GT4 - 3.73
GT5 - 4.10
G80 - rear axle lock
haven't done that yet but this being my 4th TBI and having the same bolt on mods and setup i've done to the others, i can feel for sure it's lower ratio. this one runs the best out of all the others thought (i've replaced more stuff and such) so IF it had 3:73, it should haul ass with these 245s...all my other tahoes had 265s and 285s but i will check tomorrow just to be sure otherwise i got some serious issues if this thing is 3:73 LOL

Did you just say the Vortec motors were problematic as compared to the TBIs?
in my experience with electrical/emission/fuel injection stuff yes...not motor necessarily but other stuff FOR ME and have had many customers with similar issues too. otherwise, i like the vortec engines but little more money to upkeep and too many extra things to go wrong

You are going to do whatever you want despite what everyone tells you.
Then you are going to get annoyed and call someone a name at some point, but you'd be money WAAAAAY ahead to sell it and buy another one with the "right" gear ratio.

Face it man, you are a vehicle aholic (I can relate) you arent keeping anything. We've all heeard about the last few XJs that were the final one, the F150 that you were keeping forever, the F250 etc...now youve had numerous Tahoe...and on and on and on.

Start looking at these things big picture. DDont put money into aa vehicle just to dump it.

in my experience with electrical/emission/fuel injection stuff yes...not motor necessarily but other stuff FOR ME and have had many customers with similar issues too. otherwise, i like the vortec engines but little more money to upkeep and too many extra things to go wrong

John, this is just flat out, factually wrong.
the 4.8/5.3/6.0 motors are:
- Cheaper
- more powerful
- less complicated
- higher NMTF
- more readily available parts supply
-etc.

You may not be as familiar but to say they are more problematic is a factual inaccuracy.

I think, and I'm sure many others would agree, they are very easy to work on and are far from problematic. I'd even say that the TBIs are more likely to be the problematic setup as compared to the Vortec. TBIs seem like a PITA to work on

BTW you have MANY customers for every make of vehicle you mess with. You must stay really busy behind the house up there.

And I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but your tahoe will never keep up with even a stock first gen WRX. The tahoe is a boat, 2000lbs heavier than a subaru and will surely break if the power necessary to go that fast is applied to it.
hey it would still be awesome and very doable....350 bored 60over, heads, cam, intake, rockers, the works then twin turbos boosting about 15-18psi each with 4:11 ratio running stock 245s...might not beat em but as i said, would sure as heck give em a hell a surprise and run for their money....and stock WRX are not that fast ...sorry but that's why i hate em..everyone who has one thinks they are hot sh*t and really not...just like all the Mustang GT stock owners put flowmasters on and think they got something

I believe he is referring to the vortec 5.7l that were used from 96-99. Not the LS based vortecs. They are quite prone to injector/poppet valve issues and shitty distributor caps etc.

BTW you have MANY customers for every make of vehicle you mess with. You must stay really busy behind the house up there.
busy enough until i get too busy and then i turn away work so i don't get overwhelmed and have time to enjoy life...but yes, busy enough, slow week here and there but desecent. so you know where i live too...................................................creepy LOL LOL just messin dude.
and YEAH I KNOW...i'm a freaking car-a-holic...i lost count 2 years ago at 347 cars/tahoe/jeeps/trucks that i've personally owned/tagged/insured driven as My Cars since age 16....that's A LOT. One year, DMV was going to fine me a hefty fine but never heard back so i quit and slowed down to 11 or less a year.

I believe he is referring to the vortec 5.7l that were used from 96-99. Not the LS based vortecs. They are quite prone to injector/poppet valve issues and shitty distributor caps etc.
oh yeah i should've been more specific...those 96-99 tahoes i don't like their setups...that's just me though. (I'd love to have a 6.0 now)

Maybe but it was in response to my statement and I specifically stated a 00-03 with a 5.3

You should really listen to Jody and rockcity more as he has great advise but your threads are always a repeat.

in my experience with turbo (only on 4cyl though)is i like the smaller turbos since they spool quicker so you get the full boost at lower rpm compared to the bigger flange turbos that put out more power but takes little longer to get full spool. My 93 Eclipse i put a T25 flange turbo in it and at 1400 rpms i had full 18psi boost at my finger tips...everyone else had the T3/T4 flanged turbos and they didn't hit full boost til almost 2000rpms...unless they set it up wrong which i doubt it since they knew a lot more than me, so i like the smaller turbo setup for that reason specifically.

The turbo flange had nothing to do with you spooling quicker, its the fact that you had a compressor housing, wheel, and exhaust wheel that is small as shit. That on a V8 would be a damn turd. Plus I would put money on you didn't have a T25 flange. 18psi at 1400 RPMs? BS. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back