95 chevy gears questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fuller

XJ Fanatic!!
Banned
hey chevy guys:
95 Tahoe 5.7 regular 1500 series>>>>> 10bolt front and i guess 10bolt rear...
Question is: I'm looking to get little more ummph pulling steep grades with this tahoe (it pulls great flat and not bad on hills but still a little underpowered for my liking and i've done all the normal TBI bolt ons) so looking at Gears 4:10/4:11 and Amazon sells them for 110.00 for Front and same price for rear????WHAT..I'm a jeep guy and gears are expensive for jeeps but is this price sound right to you guys...they are Yukon Gears and is it just because it's a chevy and very common differential size, which makes the gears very cheap or am i missing something...that's just the ring and pinion btw...does the chevy have carrier brake like the jeep and that's where the other money will come into play. thanks for advise...otherwise if it costs as much as jeep, i'm gonna drop a turbo in it and be done with it!!! Turbo kit runs like 500ish complete kit so that sounds way cheaper than complete gear kit if it's gotta have carrier and all. thanks guys.

Never checked the prices, but my 98 Z has the standard 3.73s. In replacing my worn out tires, I had a Great deal on a set that is 1 size smaller. By My figures, the shorter tire, has equaled a 4.10 ratio. No noticeable difference, if anything, I may have lost in the torque range, running at 60-65 mph. You'd get more out of a turbo, but I Question, How much you get for $500?

If you find actual yukon gears for that price than you should be good, but I would also plan on a rebuild kit as well (can also be had pretty cheap). But I will caution not to buy cheap no name gears.

I would not waste money on a $500 turbo kit. There is no way you are getting everything you actually need (injectors, tuning, fuel pump etc) and the parts it does come with are guaranteed to be garbage.

If you think a turbo system is going to cost just $500, you are smoking crack.
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51KSKefN4kL._SX425_.jpg
$544.00 is all i would need...i'm not trying to build a hot rod but i figured it would be worth the money for say....6-8psi boost, just enough to give that extra pulling steep grades

so there's no Carrier Change i take it....from what it looks like on the web, no carrier is needed with 2:76 and up???sound right

Yeah that system is not going to just work on your TBI Tahoe. You can't add 6-8lbs of boost to that tahoe without adding a lot of other things to support that "kit" You will need AT LEAST:

TBI intake adapter to the charge piping
A lot of custom exhaust work
higher output fuel injectors
higher output fuel pump with adjustable regulator
new MAP sensor that will handle 1.5-2 bar
A good tuner that still has the ability to burn chips (harder and harder to find someone good that still deals with TBI/TPI)

This is the absolute minimum

On top of that you still have a junk turbo with junk parts that will probably just blow that tired 350 up

Reactions: Ron
Didn't you just sell the ultimate tow rig after we gave you parts and advice?
#1: no I didn't sell the "ultimate tow rig"....just cause it was F250 with bigger axles, bigger brakes and 5spd trans did not make it near close an "ultimate tow rig" in my opinion. I'll Explain: that 351W sure had some power, maybe little more than this 350 cause it had new from heads up and custom exhaust but i done some testing around the house pulling and it done only minutely better pulling steep grades since it was still just a regular v8. bigger axles and bigger brakes i don't necessarily need in a tow rig since i have a good trailer with double axle brakes. If i really really towed enough and wanted a "ultimate tow rig" i would go out and buy a diesel like most people do and be done with it.
#2: It's really a shame to see you're still hung up on this selling that truck that you and others i guess gave advise/cheaper parts just cause you thought i was keeping it and was a "worthy" vehicle in your eyes....sad dude,sad. I have thought so much better of you and whomever else on here but twice now you bring this up so i say to you and anyone else who i pissed off.....you don't have to help, you don't have to sell me anything, you don't have to discount parts for me if that's the way you feel. If your help/advise/price on parts is only conditional and not sincere at heart to help people and be a good person no matter what they choose to do, than you sir are welcome to stay to yourself and that would make things easier. Thanks for help up to this point but if that's how you feel, you can keep it!!! (and people wonder how my threads become .......)

Yeah that system is not going to just work on your TBI Tahoe. You can't add 6-8lbs of boost to that tahoe without adding a lot of other things to support that "kit" You will need AT LEAST:

TBI intake adapter to the charge piping
A lot of custom exhaust work
higher output fuel injectors
higher output fuel pump with adjustable regulator
new MAP sensor that will handle 1.5-2 bar
A good tuner that still has the ability to burn chips (harder and harder to find someone good that still deals with TBI/TPI)

This is the absolute minimum
i guess it would come out a little more now that i'm looking into this TBI setup...didn't really think too much on the Tbi at first...well i guess Gears it's gonna be then...any chance the stock system you think would handle 4psi...i always kinda thought just about any car setup would handle 4-5psi boost without changing anything too major...sure maybe not the full potential but i guess i figured 4/5psi would compensate enough just for little extra pulling power. i have an Audi T3 turbo sitting in the shop, intercooler from same Audi with the piping, the lines and fittings i saved....only the BOV i would need to buy and the TBI adapter ....quite tempting to try it and see how much it can handle without other tuning, id be happy with 5 for what i'm trying to accomplish..hmmmmmm

so would 4:10 be good or too high ...running 245s now and maybe 265s later later down the road but nothing bigger.

#1: no I didn't sell the "ultimate tow rig"....just cause it was F250 with bigger axles, bigger brakes and 5spd trans did not make it near close an "ultimate tow rig" in my opinion. I'll Explain: that 351W sure had some power, maybe little more than this 350 cause it had new from heads up and custom exhaust but i done some testing around the house pulling and it done only minutely better pulling steep grades since it was still just a regular v8. bigger axles and bigger brakes i don't necessarily need in a tow rig since i have a good trailer with double axle brakes. If i really really towed enough and wanted a "ultimate tow rig" i would go out and buy a diesel like most people do and be done with it.
#2: It's really a shame to see you're still hung up on this selling that truck that you and others i guess gave advise/cheaper parts just cause you thought i was keeping it and was a "worthy" vehicle in your eyes....sad dude,sad. I have thought so much better of you and whomever else on here but twice now you bring this up so i say to you and anyone else who i pissed off.....you don't have to help, you don't have to sell me anything, you don't have to discount parts for me if that's the way you feel. If your help/advise/price on parts is only conditional and not sincere at heart to help people and be a good person no matter what they choose to do, than you sir are welcome to stay to yourself and that would make things easier. Thanks for help up to this point but if that's how you feel, you can keep it!!! (and people wonder how my threads become .......)
Man, it kind of hurts to read this. I tried to help you out and this is how you feel? 10-4 loud and clear.

Hold on...

You are thinking of using an Audi diesel 4 cylinder diesel turbo on a 5.7 gasser???
no it came off a v6 twin turbo i believe...i'll have to ask the guy what it came off who gave me the setup

blah, blah

Best of luck.
That is probably one of the poorer choices for adding additional torque. Those transmissions are marginal at best stock.
Don't skimp out on fuel system components.
Cheap turbos have cheap bearings and machining. You don't want some $1 a day kid assembling something turning 100,000+ RPMs that is attached to your engine.
Research, research, research!

I wouldn't put a turbo on the tbi motor period, save yourself a lot of time and headaches and stick with the gears or spend a little time hunting and you can probably swap a 5.3 or 6.0 for under half what that turbo kit would really cost you. TBI is easy, cheap and reliable but not the easiest setup to modify for power. Carburetor or LS for power.

What are you towing ?

Man, it kind of hurts to read this. I tried to help you out and this is how you feel? 10-4 loud and clear.
hey easy easy there Matt... notice i only mentioned him directly because he's the one who has said something twice now...you and others haven't so i still hold everyone else straight in my book until proven otherwise. dude, i am more than greatful for your help with that and hope you believe it but from what i got out of Jody's second post now on this, was that he was speaking for everyone and that's not really his business to do but i was directly referring to him since he's the only one whose brought it up and i said IF, IF anyone else felt the same way he felt, than i guess they too can take that comment.

I wouldn't put a turbo on the tbi motor period, save yourself a lot of time and headaches and stick with the gears or spend a little time hunting and you can probably swap a 5.3 or 6.0 for under half what that turbo kit would really cost you. TBI is easy, cheap and reliable but not the easiest setup to modify for power. Carburetor or LS for power.

What are you towing ?
just my Jeep every so often when the Parks in Marion open up

Carburetor or LS for power
i was wondering on that "carburetor"....would that really add enough extra power compared to the TBI for the money of the new intake and carb?

Going to the 4.10s isn't going to make a huge difference over the 3.73, probably not worth the cost/labor. I wouldn't bother if only towing relatively short distances a couple times a year. The tahoe isn't really meant for towing heavy loads so adding some power isn't going to help your trans, suspension, brakes and axles.

And slapping a carb on there isn't going to add any power, it is just easier to adjust a carb setup for engine mods (cam, heads, intake, forced induction) than the factory TBI.

thank your buddy Jody for bringing this shit up dude...he seemed to have spoken for you and anyone/all else involved in that Build thread so please don't get mad at me or offended from here, go and take care of business with people who speak up for others when they have no business doing so because this is exactly what happens when this kind of crap happens. if he felt this way, than he should've pmd me his thoughts but instead made it public twice that "WE" helped with advise and parts....i just took it how it was said and since i know most people here know each other, it kinda made sense. if you don't feel the way he does about it bro again, no hard feelings and no bashing towards you or anyone else!! and if you still choose to ignore me and think i'm a deuche now, well that's cool too....many already do. thanks

Turbo adds air you get that.
If you dont add a corresponding amount of fuel you aren't really improving anything.

I wouldnt put too much stock in the brand name of gears. The set up/install is much more important.
I've heard of new sealed boxes having the wrong "major" name product inside.

I'm not going to get in a debate with you on this, but that 95 tahoe is a poor choice for towing ...well anything bigger than an ATV.
If you want the GM full size suv for a tow rig you can find a 00-03 with a 5.3 and bigger (4 wheel disc) brakes and a better suspension for the job for under $5k.

Going to the 4.10s isn't going to make a huge difference over the 3.73, probably not worth the cost/labor. I wouldn't bother if only towing relatively short distances a couple times a year. The tahoe isn't really meant for towing heavy loads so adding some power isn't going to help your trans, suspension, brakes and axles.

And slapping a carb on there isn't going to add any power, it is just easier to adjust a carb setup for engine mods (cam, heads, intake, forced induction) than the factory TBI.
unfortunately mine is the 3:5ish so that was main reason for wanting little more power...my last couple tahoes had the 3:73 but this one has regular 3:4o/50 so that's why immediately i thought to upgrade to 4:10s...still not worth the money you reckon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back