'82 Jeep Scrambler Daily Driver

I'm assuming it's speed related. It will balance out ok on the machine because it only turns up so high. But real world rolling down the highway with weight on them and all is another story.

I had a set of wheels and tires that were out of round. The Jeep drove ok around town but once I got to some higher speeds (50 mph to 55 mph) it felt like the Jeep was hopping. I took it to a local tire shop and asked them to check the balance. They took me out to the shop to show me how bad the out of round was. I couldn't believe it. They spun that wheel on the machine and you could see it was a horror show. They told me they wouldn't even try to balance it. I got new wheels and tires, balanced those and never had issue again.

A crankshaft is a great example of something that is balanced, but not round.

A crankshaft is a great example of something that is balanced, but not round.

But if someone told you it was both balanced and the source of your vibration, would you question that?

I've had tires that would vibrate at only certain speeds, so I know about that. Mine usually hit at freeway speeds. And I've also had out of round/bent wheels and have been told that it is not going to be possible to balance.

But if someone told you it was both balanced and the source of your vibration, would you question that?

I've had tires that would vibrate at only certain speeds, so I know about that. Mine usually hit at freeway speeds. And I've also had out of round/bent wheels and have been told that it is not going to be possible to balance.
Agreed. I'd put the jeep on jackstands and set up and indicator along the edge of the rim to measure runout. If the rim is good, carefully check the tire.

To answer your question, I think that isn't a bad price for an alum wheel. Not sure on the size you were looking at, but likely want to go 15x7. Do you have another set of wheels/tires that you can put on to see if anything changes? Maybe borrow some from a friend?

So we know the vibration started after the transmission swap, and was there prior to the rear axle swap. At what point was the current wheels and tires put on?

Agreed. I'd put the jeep on jackstands and set up and indicator along the edge of the rim to measure runout. If the rim is good, carefully check the tire.

He stated earlier that he ran it on jack stands over 60mph with no big amount of vibration.

To answer your question, I think that isn't a bad price for an alum wheel. Not sure on the size you were looking at, but likely want to go 15x7.

15x8, 5x5.5. Discount doesn't carry many options in that size with that bolt pattern.

Do you have another set of wheels/tires that you can put on to see if anything changes? Maybe borrow some from a friend?

Unfortunately no, on both accounts.

So we know the vibration started after the transmission swap, and was there prior to the rear axle swap. At what point was the current wheels and tires put on?

So this is part of the problem, too many things were changed all at once. I did the suspension, wheels, and tires, drove it for two weeks (never reaching highway speeds) and then the T5 let go and I did the AX15 swap.

It helps. My concern with what discount tire told you is that I have tried to balance wheels that were bent/out of round/warped centers; and they usually shake the machine too bad to balance. Yet they said they balanced fine.

You said earlier that there is none of the vibration in the steering wheel? Is that still true? If so, we can remove the front two wheels/tires from the equation. Does it feel like it is shaking/bouncing the whole rear of the jeep? Very noticeable in your seats? Or is it mostly limited to the buzzing or shaking in the shifter?

No, you can feel it in the whole vehicle. The shifter is just the best way to 'show' how much it vibrates.

I haven't gotten it up to speed since I went to Discount this morning, I have a feeling that the one wheel they said was way off is my main culprit as I always felt like the vibration was originating from the rear passenger side.
Depending on where they placed that wheel when they rotated them, I bet that is where I will feel the.. epicenter..

Yep, making more sense now. Most places are smart enough to put the two best balancers on the front, that could be why you were not getting vibes from the front at that time.

I had the same problem once I hit 55 . Do you have a steering stabilizer ? And have you checked to make sure that the front axle long tube is not bent? Mine would give off a slight vibration at 55 and some times it felt like the whole jeep was about to come apart and shifter would shake like crazy.

No steering stabilizer (yet.. I still need to add one), but the long tube appears to be ok.

IMG_2358.JPG
IMG_2359.JPG
IMG_2360.JPG
IMG_2361.JPG

Get a stabilizer and take it to your local 4wd shop and have them make sure axle is not bent. I bet that is the issue I chased the same problem for months .

You can borrow the spare off of my scrambler if that might help you. You are running 31s, right? Pretty sure that is what my spare is. It is sitting here in the shop now.

I honestly don't know if it is out of balance, but maybe it will help you. Can try one wheel at a time at least.

You can borrow the spare off of my scrambler if that might help you. You are running 31s, right? Pretty sure that is what my spare is. It is sitting here in the shop now.

I honestly don't know if it is out of balance, but maybe it will help you. Can try one wheel at a time at least.

Thanks! Yeah, 31s. I might take you up on that. I do still need to make it up there to pick up that intake heater...

Beautiful day, but too cold to do anything. I'll have a garage one day... One day.

IMG_2375.JPG

I did take it on the highway for a quick jaunt yesterday and everything felt good even though I haven't done anything aside from Discount rebalancing and rotating. I dunno, maybe the stars were aligned perfectly at that moment :rolleyes:

Also, my 'quick' OE intake and carb swap is taking me waaay more time than I imagined (of course), so I finally broke down and spent the $20 for a 9.5 power valve and a set of .46 and .47 main jets for the Holley 390. Gotta keep the daily, dailyable.

IMG_2374.JPG

In an interesting turn of events, I have fooled my company into getting me a company car. The Jeep is still my only personal vehicle, but it at least doesn't have to do the daily grind anymore.

With that said, I stripped the F'ing accelerator pump nozzle screw yesterday while trying to tune out a stumble. So now I'm waiting on a 12-28 helicoil (which are really hard to find!) and some parts from Holley.

I still haven't figured out the vibration. Still leaning towards wheels though...

Fixed my stripped out squirter nozzle housing in the 390 over the weekend. That was fun!

Had to sacrifice a screwdriver to the helicoil gods so I could install the thing down in the primaries. The supplied tool was too short to reach past the choke plate and primary bowl breather.

IMG_2393.JPG IMG_2396.JPG IMG_2399.JPG IMG_2401.JPG IMG_2402.JPG IMG_2404.JPG IMG_2405.JPG IMG_2406.JPG IMG_2407.JPG IMG_2408.JPG

You can see in the pics that I goofed and drilled my hole a little left of center. It seemed to seal up fine, so, so far all is good.

I still have a stumble with it coming from PTC, which is a constant reminder that I need to get up to @Blaze 's shop to get some OE intake parts before he thinks I've forgotten about them and tosses them.

If anyone is familiar with Holleys, I'm currently running:
.47 main jets
9.5 power valve
30cc accel. pump
blue cam in #1 position
.28 squirter

Getting great off the line power, but that PTC stumble is killing me.
I am going to invest in an A/F gauge, they're just expensive!

Still haven't replaced the wheels...

Back