'82 Jeep Scrambler Daily Driver

orange150

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to purchase one of my childhood dream vehicles, a Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler. At the time of purchase it had a 4" lift with 33" tires, which I have dropped to 2.5" lift with 31's.
I had no intention of buying one, but I was involved in a t-bone accident with my dream truck, a 2002 F-250, PSD, crew cab, short bed that totaled it out. I loved that truck. It was THE truck for me and I had absolutely no thoughts of getting rid of it. I still miss that truck badly but most trucks of that vintage are either ragged out or way overpriced now.
I was so content with the truck that I bought another project car ('65 Mustang) to build for road racing at VIR and Road Atlanta and had basically written off building anything for OHV duty.
At the time, I had a company vehicle so not having a 'normal' car was no big deal. But of course, I had an opportunity arise with my dream company that I couldn't pass up, the only catch was no company vehicle.

So, the Jeep stepped up for daily duty.
The theme to this 'build' is to keep the Jeep as close to stock as possible, keeping it to a point where I could easily turn it back into a stock '82 CJ-8 w/ the 258, T5, D300 it came with. It needs to pull daily duty (which it has been doing for over a year now); be able to do light trail rides which means I need to be able to drive it to and (hopefully) from the trails which can be up to 5hrs away (right?), and help me work around the yard.

I ask the vast majority of my technical questions on the CJ forums, and am going to summarize the build here since this is my local forum, and I have been posting on this forum since before it was revamped in '05 but stopped when I thought I was done with OHV vehicles...

X094C.jpg
GmJRiDX.png
IIgQO1n.png
0EwPD5w.png
2RGY5gi.png
APwulRM.png
lsEswzR.png
dxGWa50.png
HJfB5nl.jpg
IMG_1629.JPG

Last edited:
First order of business was to lower the Jeep to a more daily driver friendly level.

After a lot of research it looked like most people recommended the Old Man Emu YJ 2.5" lift conversion. The difference between a YJ and a CJ are the front springs, YJs are 2.5" while CJs are 2". The conversions consists of nothing more than replacing the front springs hangers with conversion specific hangers and wider front springs pads. I took it a bit further and upgraded the spring pads, both sets of hangers, and the shackles.
Two things most people are back and forth on is the length of the shackles and the type of bushings (OME specific or not). In my opinion, since I converted to YJ suspension I should convert the shackles to YJ length as well.
I also used non OME bushings. There is a slight width difference between the leafs and the bushing size but I'm ok with it.

One more note about my shackles - I bought from a local DIY guy. I'm not happy with the fit and finish of them and will be replacing them with a set from www.crabtreetool.com

Quad Parts List_NoPrices.png
IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG

Last edited:
To fit the new front spring hangers I had to completely loosen up the front bumper and the steering box & mount. I have an HD mount which made it that much more fun.

The passenger's side was easy, I just needed to grind a small amount off my Warn bumper to get the proper fit.

IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG

Last edited:
Now that everything is all mocked up, I pulled it off, cleaned the frame, and painted it.

Tightening things up proved to be a little more difficult because of the larger hangers.

IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0618.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG

Last edited:
As soon as I started putting the springs together I noticed that I had one more area I needed to clearance. I would have preferred to have everything apart so that I could have done a cleaner cut, but I wasn't about to pull everything that I had just torqued down back off.

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG

Last edited:
One thing about the Currie spring pads is that they require studs to mount shocks or sway bars from. I decided to make my own using grade 8 hardware.

I later learned that the threads can actually gouge out the holes and wallow them out. But for now my home brew studs are staying.

IMG_0660.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG

Last edited:
The rear is a direct swap.

One thing though is that I bought some upgraded rear hangers. I did not install them though due to a repair the PO did on the passenger's side hanger. One bolt had broken off so they just welded the rear of the hanger on. I'm too much of a wuss to attempt the extraction at the house so I'm going to eventually pay a shop to take care of it for me.

IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG

Last edited:
Next was to correct the poor steering geometry.

I purchased the reamer and sleeve kit from OK4wd. It came with enough sleeves to do all three TRE's but I decided just to do the drag link. I had read about interference issues with HD tie rods when you flip them and that just sounded like one more thing I didn't want to deal with.

You will also notice in the pictures that I upgraded my sway bar links to longer, quick connect versions.

IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG

Last edited:
Last was the shocks.

I have ran Bilsteins on every vehicle I've owned and I wasn't really planning on changing that.

I went with 5125s valved 250/70 in the front and 170/60 in the rear. I went with a stiffer valving in the front because I have an 8274 in my shed that I will be running steel cable on.

Edit: it keeps automatically turning that first picture..

IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG

Last edited:
Coupled that with some 31x10.5 Dynapro A/Ts and my suspension is complete!

In reality it took many months. I drove it on the wore out stock shocks for a LONG time, and it was a few months before I did the drag link flip, but y'all get the idea.

I will say that this thing rides amazing with this set up. I am very pleased with it and believe it is well worth the money.

IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG

Last edited:
Parts collection: slave and master cylinder, clutch assy and flywheel for a '91+ 4.0, pedal assy. out of a '91+ YJ, D300 to AX15 conversion from AA, and Barnes 4wd skid plate to give me a blank canvas to mount my new trans combo to.

IMG_0757.JPG
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG

Last edited:
I wanted to do the more daunting items first, so I tackled the pedal modifications.. which also lead to dealing with the poor wiring management the PO left me with..

IMG_0782.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG

Last edited:
Because manual 4cyl. CJs had a hydraulic clutch there is already a cutout for a master cylinder (up to 1990). Because I could only get my hands on a '91+ pedal assembly (which I didn't know I had until later) I had some minor measuring to do.

In the second picture you can see the difference in the early style hydraulic master versus the newer style, based on the newer style master cylinder brace. On the newer master, the bottom ear is longer. So the top mounting hole lined up while the bottom one had to be redone.

IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG

Last edited:
I didn't get a lot of pictures of replacing the clutch pedals, but it was pretty straight forward.

Pulled the old clutch pedal assembly completely apart, and installed the new one in it's place. One thing to note though is that I didn't measure accurate enough so my holes were just low enough where I couldn't use that brace pictured up above.. Frustrating.

Also notice how much the bell crank had worn away just from driving!

IMG_1455.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG

Last edited:
Installing the AA D300-AX15 adapter on the D300. I also ordered a fancy aluminum cover for no better reason than I was drunk at the time...

IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG

Last edited:
One thing about this swap is that the transmission mount location is moved backwards from stock. A lot of people just adapt the AX15 to the stock skid plate / trans mount. I wanted to take this opportunity to run a better, flatter, designed skid plate so I went with the Barnes unit.

I also wanted to retain the factory CJ style trans mount / torque arm set up, so I made an adapter that mounts to the AX15 but mimics the CJ geometry.

On test fitting the Barnes skid the mounting locations were off a tad. I matched it up to the stock unit and made the corrections, fits great now!
-------------------------------
Hindsight being what it is I'm not too pleased with this set up. I eventually want to get an independent trans mount made and then run a Barnes skid plate underneath. No fab skills means that I have to farm that out though... One day.

IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG

Last edited:
I had a time removing the pilot bushing to install the AX15 unit. Using a specialty tool and the grease trick did nothing. I then read a trick about using soggy phone book pages to jam in there (similar to the grease trick), it worked flawlessly! Now my phone books are good for starting the grill AND working on my car!

The last pic is of the AA pilot bushing compared to a pilot bearing provided by my local parts store.

I did soak the pilot bushing in oil over night before I installed it.

IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1058.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1062.JPG

Last edited:
Test fitting the trans and marking the skid plate to drill for the trans mount. Amazingly enough my blind measurement method of over marking the trans mount worked, but I was a little off.
---------------
In my haste at the time I did not elongate the holes to compensate for my slight mistake in measuring (about 1/16" off to the driver's side). I used a pry bar to scootch the transmission over enough to bolt everything down. This is going to come up later...

IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1212.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG

Last edited:
Back