6.0 vs 7.3 vs cummins

OK So I drove a 06 3500 dodge cummins dually home from the dealership while they looked at my exploder.
On the way home it drove fine, but on slight inclines giving it little throttle in the 45 mph range, it seemed to hunt for the right gear. A LOT?!?!?!
Is this common?
136k miles
Don't think I want an auto
Looking at a straight drive soon

What's it geared? if it's the 48RE it's probably going in and out TC lock/unlock and possibly being on the cusp of dropping into 3rd gear (if it's 3.55).... You cannot expect that thing to chugalug up a hill in OD with the TC locked at 45mph, for sure.

01 Dodge Ram 4x4 here with the 5spd tranny. It is the only diesel I have owned. It has 215,000 miles on it. I replaced the water pump a couple of weeks ago, but that and the fuel lift pump (common but easy problem to fix) are the only things I have done to it other than standard maintenance. The truck is stock. My dashboard is cracked very badly, but that is the only thing wrong with the truck. I don't understand why people hate their Dodge's.

i will give you my point of view i have owned a 90 model dodge with 310,000 mile on it only problem injector pump leaked other than that pulled hard with a few upgrades.Had a 97 dodge 5 spd
made a big mistake selling to my brother 200,00 never turned a wrench on it except putting in #11 fuel plate and fixing the 5th gear problem .duracraps my friends have them and they are keeping chevy mechanics with job security.7.3 good motor as long as they don't have a ton of miles on them.6.0 i would rather walk then have another lets start first thing egr cooler then glow plug harness then another egr cooler then 7 injectors .then the fuel injection control module went out then the oil cooler went with the egr cooler again then heres the good one after having the oil cooler fixed and the last egr cooler the head gaskits went and the when i pick it up at the shop from having head gaskits fixed the # 7 piston broke and blowed the heads gaskits again all of this was done in 3 years that i owned it i bought the truck it had 52,000 on it at 100,245 is when the last three things went now i have a f250 crew cab with a 12v and a six speed man love it

What's it geared? if it's the 48RE it's probably going in and out TC lock/unlock and possibly being on the cusp of dropping into 3rd gear (if it's 3.55).... You cannot expect that thing to chugalug up a hill in OD with the TC locked at 45mph, for sure.

Took it in and had the tech hook up the PC while I drove it.

Got it to repeat several times

He said it wasn't computer controlled but it WAS a problem

It was going from second to nuetral for a second before shifting to 3rd.

He said it was mechanical.

I own a 7.3 with the E4OD and the transmission SUCKS. It would be a great truck with a 5 speed, we had several at work and the were good. I am on my 3 transmission in 4 years and 30,000 miles with all services done and running synthetic fluid. We have 4 trucks at work with the Allison and ALL of them have been in the shop 3 or 4 times each with one of them on its 4th transmission at 100,000 miles. While our trucks are 5500series we tow nothing with them, they are flatbeds that haul 1000lb at the most just bulky stuff. If you buy a diesel GET A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!

If your still considering the 6.0 check out the Powerstrokehelp channel on YouTube very informative explains all you need to make a 6.0 Powerstroke bulletproof. What to upgrade how the factory tune is crap and how with head studs egr delete tuning and exhaust you can have a reliable fuel efficient and powerful truck. Even made consider one in the future.

ive had a 01 f250 4wd long bed wxt cab for 3 yaers had 197,000 when i got it now has 290, on it never had anything done but regular maint and a rear wheel bearing , tows trailers with farm tractors and my car hauler fine its got the 7.3 which is actually a international engine just my 2 cents

On the way home it drove fine, but on slight inclines giving it little throttle in the 45 mph range, it seemed to hunt for the right gear. A LOT?!?!?!

light throttle?

It was going from second to nuetral for a second before shifting to 3rd.

2nd gear @45mph is somewhere in the 3000rpm range....regardless, it's mechanical if it's 'flaring' between shifts

Sam already chimed in but I will throw in my .02...

Having owned a 6.0 since '04' I know the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The 6.0s are not a diesel for those that don't do maintainence. Most folks that have trouble w/ their 6.0 don't maintain their vehicle. The truck likes oil every 5k miles, and fuel filters every 15-20k.

Count on a set of head gaskets, and if you add arp studs, and can weld up your erg cooler, you've taken care of 95% of the common problems.

Having said that, my next truck will be a 6.4 or a duramax, but I'd own another 6.0.

Mine has 205k on it, and it will flat out move, and pulls strong.

I've been running some form of tuner since 20k miles...

The ford TorqueShift trannys don't get enough recognition that are behind the 6.0s and 6.4s. They're some of the best trannys out there in my opinion. They shift firm, and are easy to service, and don't flinch at the addition of upwards of 100hp via a tuner-- with the SCT beingnthe tuner of choice for the 6.0.

Sam did grenade his 2005 6.0, but as most folks on here know, the man could break a hammer. :driver:

The cummins is a legend, and for good reason.

Sam can't even break it.

I've got a friend wanting me to post his truck for sale on here but I was waiting to get pics of it. It's a '99 f-250 xcab 4x4 7.3 auto 103k. I don't know for sure what he wants for it but let me know if you may be interested. I'm going to try to post it up this week if possible.

BTW I drive a '05 dodge 3500 6speed and love the 5.9 but the dodge is different. Bought w/ 85k now has 104k on it. I've rebuilt the whole front end which was 1200 bucks w/ descent Moog/Timken parts and me doing all the work which wasn't to bad. I rebuilt the whole rear drive shaft and had to put in a second carrier. The wiring in these trucks are crap. I've had trouble out of w/s wipers, door locks, tail lights/backup lights which was fuses. But when yo buy a truck pushing 100k your going to have problems. That's why people trade them at that time.

I don't know what year cummins but I know the CR (common rail) trucks have injector issues if I am correct. My buddy bought an 06 and 5 out of the 6 injectors needed to be replaced. There is a test you can get done to see if they need to be replaced or not. Another thing to look for is when you get on it, look in the mirror at the exaust. If it has white smoke, it is the injectors, IIRC. Atleast thats what his did. The previous owner had the trans rebuilt also (but it pulled a 10,000 lb trailer all its life)

I have an 01 cummins with some work done to it and LOVE IT. But it has a built trans, injectors, turbo, studs....

If I were to do it again I would probably get a manual but thats personal preference. Also if you keep your eyes open you should be able to get an 06 mega cab for around your price range...

Good luck

So do we need to add a sticky about the different manufacturers, the years, and their pros/cons???

seems like threads like this come once every few weeks

Just read this, I think that's a great idea. Someone write it up and PM a mod of this section. They'll stick it for ya.

I don't know of anyone first hand that has had the nightmarish issues everyone talks about...

Yes you do....remember the 03 that Ford lemon law bought from me?

I owned it ~5 months and logged 107 days in shop service.

-some bullshit sensor that left me stranded at harlan
That is so rare I think I diagnosed it while driving by IIRC.....

but your a super hero Ron. :lol:

Only in my own eyes...

Back