6.0 vs 7.3 vs cummins

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
SO I'm somewhat looking to get a used tow rig.

Trading the exploder in on something that will potentially tow an enclosed +/-20ft sleeper toy hauler, plus something that can easily tow a skidsteer/kabota b series frontend loader.

Needs to seat 6 because it'll also double as the WHOLE family truckster like the exploder does, since we take mom with us to dinner/vacation sometimes.

Looking in the +/-$20k dept

4x4

LOVE to stay under 100k miles

In THAT range, I'm seeing a ton of 6.0 powerstrokes. VERY few F250 crews, but mostly F350 dually's

Not many dodges in that range.

I drove both an F350 dually, and an f250 short bed 6.0 and both were 2004's and I MUST say....I was pretty disappointed in the power of both of them. I would have expected the 250 to actually be considerably faster given the shorter bed and lack of dually weight...but honestly I think it was a little slower?!?

Now, my old boss had a F350 crew longbed 4x4 king ranch....seats a whopping 4 people (he chose the huge center consoles f/b and I believe it has the 7.3

Now he hasn't mucked with it, and when he punches it......it feels like it's launching you into next month. I mean it's one of those "put a $100 bill on the dash and bet you can't reach up and grab it"

Holy crap that thing has POWER!!!!

Is there THAT much difference between the 6.0 and 7.3?

Where does the 04-ish cummins fall? Haven't driven one of those yet.

Problem is, I can't seem to find a 7.3 in a decent price range that DOESN'T have near 200k on it.

Is this a common problem? I.E. Am I realizing a typical "Duh" for you guys?

Can you guys offer some good advice for a newbie tow rig searcher? Anything to stay away from? Anything I need to be focused on FINDING?

a good Cummins in the 03 and up range with less than 100k miles is going to put you close to your budget. Being a diesel i would up your mileage to the 150k mark and you can find a lot more trucks to look at.

Around here I see 99-02 Cummins trucks with the manual transmission and 130-170k miles going for around 12-16 depending on the condition of the truck, 1 ton or 3/4 ton etc

My opinion on the 6.0s are they are problematic and expensive to fix. There is a reason why Ford went back to the 7.3

I don't know about the Dodge, so I won't comment on those.

The Fords, stay away from the early 6.0 diesel. I've owned 2 of the later ones and haven't had any issues with either of them. The first one I did have to replace the head gaskets and turbo but it was right at 100K and was under warranty, no big issue. Second one I have has 167K on it (2004) and keeps on going strong. In the last 60K miles I've only had to do normal service work to it (oil, brakes, unit bearing, etc.)

The 7.3 is slower and uses more fuel but seems to be much more reliable. Most older ones for sale are either worn out or something is wrong. Anyone that likes the Ford diesel and has a late 7.3 is keeping it in lieu of the 6.0 or the newer ones. Maybe once the new Ford diesel proves itself the older low mileage ones will start showing up for sale for reasonable price.

I've driven a 7.3 for years and loved it but it was slower than any of my 6.0 diesels. Ran it to over 200K miles without any issues other than transmission. The truck weighed 18K lbs so i'm surprised it lasted that long.

These are just my opinions, so take it for what its worth.

6.0=nothing but problems. my dad's 06 F250 has been in the shop more than its been on the road. its got 100k miles on it and its already had head gaskets, turbo, egr, egr cooler, and is in the shop as we speak getting new injectors and fuel pump. Luckily its been under warranty, but Ford has been giving him a really hard time covering it. They are doing all they can to back out of covering the cost of the repairs.

7.3=not a quick as a 6.0L but man, what a great engine. we also have a 2000 model F250 and its got over 370k miles. I'm confident it will hit 500k before its done. its had a hard life towing large enclosed trailers and flat beds (with my jeep on it) up and down the mountains.

I have no experience with cummins engines so i'll leave that to someone else to chime in.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 7.3L with 200k miles on it if the price is right. I've seen several around here (extended cab long beds) with the 7.3 auto combo for around 10-12k Not show trucks, but still got lots of life in them. I'd figure you can find a 7.3 crew cab for somewhere around 12-15k if you look around.

i have an 03 f350 4x4 dually crew cab 192k miles runs great never had any chips no 6.0 power very dependable will take 12k for it has no problemsthat is black book value

Just a little back ground of the cummins. The 5.9 is a true truck engine. It is used in medium duty trucks as well as Yard Dog's or better known as spotter trucks that move trailers around warehouse yards. Thats why the first gen of the 5.9 in dodge made so much noise. They have made them quiter. But if you look at truck pulls an big horse power dyno runns nothing is putting down power and surviving like the cummins.

Just my 2 cents

I'd get a 5.9 or a Duramax, then a 7.3 (if you could find one), then a 6.7, then a Ford 6.4, then a Ford 6.0.

If you want to haul six reasonably-sized people in a Dodge, you'll probably want a Mega Cab, and I'm not sure you'll find one under $20k.

I've got an 03 Dodge, and it's exactly what people say -- the truck is a piece of garbage, but the motor is great. I'd buy another one, no questions. Mine is loaded Laramie 6spd 4wd, and I paid about $20k for it two years ago with 80k on it.

But I wouldn't want to put six people in it. That middle seat is for dogs and ladies... and ladies only for a little while. Their legs get in the way of the cupholders and shifter.

WOW...6.0 dead last :lol:

If you want to haul six reasonably-sized people in a Dodge, you'll probably want a Mega Cab, and I'm not sure you'll find one under $20k.
Yeah that's what I'm finding :rolleyes:

I vote duramax yes the cummins is one hell of a motor but unless u get a manual you won't have the power from the 5.9 the automatic really sucks on those trucks biggest limit on those trucks and with a manual your not going to be able to seat six. With the duramax you will find plenty of crew cabs in your price range make great power good mileage and will have the best ride out of all 3/4 ton trucks. With the duramax if its not a LBZ MAKE SURE IT'S HAD THE INJECTORS REPLACED. I had a 2004 crew cab with a slightly larger aftermarket turbo EFI LIVE tune locally rebuilt trans and full exhaust 22 mpg highway around 16 around town if I didn't hit boost all the time. It will tow anything you want be able to take the wife & kids out around town & with the ifs it won't kill your back on rough roads

doesnt sound like you wanna do anything crazy with your truck, (drag racing etc) so id say no reason to buy a 12v cummins.

24v cummins are a newer so obviously more power and not as loud! they handle like a dream and pull great BUT you wanna stay away from the automatic trannys UNLESS you are willing to either build the internals, buy a suncoast or equally badass tranny or just swap factory ones all the time!

6.0 Fords....well dont get me started on them, between the lack of power, small little headaches here and there and OH did i mention if you blow a head gasket you have to take the cab off the frame?! Id say UNLESS you have tons of money stay away from a 6.0

7.3 powerstroke will have a little less power than a 6.0 but if you get a later model 7.3 it will do PLENTY. NOW it wont throw you in your seat BUT itll tow your rig and your house and your boat AT THE SAME TIME! lol only problem is since they are roughly 10 years old you wont find many under 150XXX miles

TO SUM IT UP!
If your cool with a manual tranny or willing to build your tranny Go Cummins!
If you wanna spend a little less money and get a BADASS TRUCK with higher miles go 7.3
if you wanna collect a welfare check casue your poor and all your money is wrapped up in your stupid truck go 6.0! :D
HOPE I HELPED SOME!

There is a reason why Ford went back to the 7.3
What??

Just a little back ground of the cummins. The 5.9 is a true truck engine. It is used in medium duty trucks as well as Yard Dog's or better known as spotter trucks that move trailers around warehouse yards. Thats why the first gen of the 5.9 in dodge made so much noise. They have made them quiter. But if you look at truck pulls an big horse power dyno runns nothing is putting down power and surviving like the cummins.

Just my 2 cents

What do you think the 7.3l and the 6.0l are?

You Don't need a mega cab, Dodge just has it because they don't have an extend cab and there crew cab is crap compared to Ford and Chevy. You don't need a Cummins just because everyone builds 2000 hp sled pullers out of it. if that what you want to do go for it because a 7.3l or 6.0l sure isn't going to get you there. The D-max's are nice, I was just turned off by them when a buddy had one who had shot injectors. And I never really been a Chevy person.

The main thing you need to be aware of is previous maintenance. A well taken care of truck is going to take care of you. Any of the diesel trucks are going to have more power than you need and are all reliable and good.

Don't be scared of 6.0l most people who say they suck just read crap off the internet or have a uncle who's neighbor has one. But that fear leaves a lot of good trucks on the market for cheap. I have a 7.3l with 180k and a 6.0l with 88k Just be smart when buying one. if it doesn't feel like it has power something probably wrong with it. (ie stuck turbo) Both my trucks have been more than reliable and great trucks.

Just be smart if you buy a 6.0l. There are some out there that spend most of there life in the shop but if that hasn't always been the case it wont turn on you. IMO there the best deal out there right now.

If it were me, I could care less what it is as long as it has a warranty, I hate all things automotive, mechanical, and electronic with a passion now because all they seem to do is make my life harder.

But that being said, I'd go straight six with a 6 speed manual - do NOT get a 5 speed, ask me how I know.

Then a 7.3 or a Dirtymax

I've heard 7.3's have injector and injector harness problems from buddies who own them and had to deal with them though.

I've heard 7.3's have injector and injector harness problems from buddies who own them and had to deal with them though.

I wouldn't say injector's and harness's are a problem. People just call it that since that's really all that can go wrong on them. The only real problem with a 7.3l is the CPS sensor. they have a chronic failure problem and it took like 15 years to address. and i don't know if the "fix" is any better. I just always keep one in the glove box.

from experience i can say that between all the trucks you mentioned i would say go for a 7.3.... i just bought mine about a year ago, just wanting a tow rig that also looked good as a weekend truck too and i looked at every diesel there is....and after looking about 8 months solid i finnaly found my f250 with a 7.3, 4x4 and 79,000 miles when i got it and got it for 20000....try to get that in a cummins or duramax and it aint gonna happen in a millon years, not to mention that mine already had an intake full exhaust and lifted on 35s....from everybody i had talked to while looking at trucks, and from most of my buddies problems who have them, all i can say is no matter what stay away from a 6.0

the company i work for has a whole fleet of f-350's.the 7.3's are still kicking with no problems,all of the 6.0's have been nothing but trouble.right now we have 4 of them at 2 diffrent dealerships. the owner of the company has a 09 that has less than hundrend thousand on it and has spent most of it's life in the shop for one problem after another. he went last week to look at a new truck. he took out a brand new truck on a test drive and they had to send a wrecker after him. he bought a new dodge this week.

I'm amazed at the lack of writing skills in some of these responses but oh well. Just want to chime in on the "loudness" of the Cummins series.

I've owned and been around all the different variations of the Cummins 5.9L engines.
The 98.5-02 24V def. makes the most engine noise!
The 12V (P7100 trucks) (94-98) are the second loudest engine wise.
Third, the early 12V trucks (93 and earlier)
Fourth, the common rail 24V trucks (03-later)

My suggestion to you would be a newer manual Cummins powered truck. IF you can find a decent mileage 7.3 truck, go for it but try and get a manual as the autos in those trucks SUCKED. They all have their PROS and CONS, but with your budget I'd say the Cummins will be your best bet.

Cummins....V8 diesels suck.....How many transfer trucks do you see with V8 diesels in them:flipoff2:

If it were me, I could care less what it is as long as it has a warranty, I hate all things automotive, mechanical, and electronic with a passion now because all they seem to do is make my life harder.
But that being said, I'd go straight six with a 6 speed manual - do NOT get a 5 speed, ask me how I know.
Then a 7.3 or a Dirtymax

The 6 speeds are junk and cost more to fix than the 5 speeds....so say people who work on them

well i love my 6.0 its an 03 extend cab short bed 4x4 yea ive had to put a little $$ in it just done the ball joints at 160k and she has plenty of power. like said above just have to find the right one. over the 6 or so months ive had it ive put in a new alternator two batterys ICP sensor, stright piped it and ball joints.. for a 8 year old truck i cant complain... yea there might be more in the future but this is the truck i wanted so thats what i got!

Back