$14k to spend on a tow rig...what should I look for

cburgin

Just as the title says. I am looking for a tow rig/DD and my limit is $14k tops. I would like a dmax but I havent found one in that price range. It doesnt have to be a deisel. I will only be towing with it on the weekends I go riding and the rest will be DD. Any input on what would be the best vehicle in that price range?

i would stay away from the lb7 duramax (01-04.5) due to injector issues and i dont think any other years would be in that price range. if you like chevy you could look for a 8.1 vortec gas with the allison and 4.10s and that would tow good.

12v or 24v cummins would also be a good choice but i dont know much about them or what they sell for really.

What are you towing? whats the size of the trailer? and what you putting on it?

All I will ever be towing is a 16 ft trailer and my yj fully built on tons and 42s. I found a 2002 GMC 2500hd with an 8.1 and a whipple supercharger with only 85k miles for $15900. A bit out of my price range but I could maybe swing it. How would the supercharger be with towing? Just juggling ideas right now.

Find a V10 Excursion. It'll tow fine, and you'll have somewhere to sleep.

Bet you a beer if you buy a gasser you will be wishing it were a diesel in a few months. :beer:

X2!

But I personally think the price on used diesels is grossly inflated. Every hot shot out there wants to make'em "roll coal", and therefore most of them have been beat on or worked to death. The fuel mileage advantage is usually exaggerated, and I feel like there are a lot of hidden costs associated with them. When it comes to towing though its really tough to beat'em. I just dont see how so many people can afford to buy, operate, and properly maintain those big trucks, unless you NEED it for work and it helps make you money. I'm not hate'in on diesels, just kinda blabbering my opinion.

Good luck though Chad...I hope you find something sick!

any 2500 will do the job for that matter 1500 will get you buy. If you do your own maintenance diesels aren't to bad. If Chevy is your thing the 2500 comes with the 6.0 L Vortec 6000 V8 300 hp rated at 10,600 tow with that engine in the model years your looking at 1999-2005. You can also get the Suburban and the excursion in diesels as well and yes have a place to sleep. Our two tow vehicles we used were a suburban and f350 diesel. the f350 could yank anything but was horrible empty driving it as a DD. The suburban pulled it all no problems with upgraded rear suspension and was so much nicer to drive empty over the f350 not to mention all the dry storage room. our car hauler was a beast it weighed an easy 4000lbs empty maybe more. I would expand my search to include a suburban or excursion to the list. Take your time don't rush into anything and wait for the right one to come along.

24V Cummins & save $400 for an aftermarket lift pump, and you have a vehicle that is as cheap to maintain and operate as a gas truck, and is more reliable, and gets better mileage. Given you dont buy one that has been beaten and/or built to the hilt....

^bingo, Commonrail cummins

2003 or newer cummins, regular cab long bed 4x4, either transmission is fine. If you can stand the regular cab, that truck would yield the best bang for your buck as a DD.

I've yet to see a factory 7.3 diesel get more than 12-13mpg normal driving

You should buy my Range for only $4k, you looking into the tongue weight on these things, Rovers are surprisingly great at towing. I forget the exact ratings but I know it was rated higher than my dads 95 2500 and I think it was even rated higher than my friends 05 F-150

Hey Cburgin whats your time frame for this purchase. There are a lot of trucks for sale here as well a huge resale lot on post and a credit union that has some for sale. I can take a look for you and see what they got.

Bet you a beer if you buy a gasser you will be wishing it were a diesel in a few months. :beer:

Been towing with a gasser for a few years now and RARELY wish I had a diesel again. Granted, the 8.1 pulls a LOT better than a small block.
When DD'ing it, I couldn't be happier that I don't have a diesel. No wait to start, no plugging in, heat within 1 mile, can gas up anywhere, pumps are cleaner, etc.

If you have a long commute, I could see the MPG advantage of a diesel paying off though.

a mid-level, under 70k mile ~'04 Avalanche 2500 should be in your range.. I didn't pay much more than that for mine, but it was fully loaded. It's a 2500 Suburban underneath, and rides smoother than any 2500 truck out there, and you get dry storage / a quiet place to sleep.

I did a dyno tune and quiet exhaust on it, and got just under 10 (like 9.8 avg) mpg towing my rig from PA to VA and back (similar terrain to NC), with the truck packed full of camping gear and spare parts, so MPG isn't that terrible while towing.

I do miss the Allison trans that was in the truck, but overall it's a much better DD/tow rig. (4.10's not mandatory with the 4L85E, the OD isn't as deep)

I'm just saying, check out the towing specs on a Rover, the tongue weight on my 92 Range is 550lbs, and the suspension has been beefed up and it could easily pull. I mean if I had 14k to spend I would probably buy something newer and nicer, but for $4k I think its a pretty cheap way to make yourself happy, if you could even find a way to spend $4k upgrading it then you would have a bullet proof truck, I just dont know how you would spend $4k upgrading it since it already has lockers and everything else, only upgrade I can think of is body and paint, for $4k probly even do an engine swap, but I'm a big Rover fan, although I really like the Dodge Power Wagons

I'm just saying, check out the towing specs on a Rover, the tongue weight on my 92 Range is 550lbs, and the suspension has been beefed up and it could easily pull. I mean if I had 14k to spend I would probably buy something newer and nicer, but for $4k I think its a pretty cheap way to make yourself happy, if you could even find a way to spend $4k upgrading it then you would have a bullet proof truck, I just dont know how you would spend $4k upgrading it since it already has lockers and everything else, only upgrade I can think of is body and paint, for $4k probly even do an engine swap, but I'm a big Rover fan, although I really like the Dodge Power Wagons

Give it up.:gay:

You keep talking about tongue weight but how much can it pull?
What is its GCVWR?
Will it stop his trailer or plow off a montain?
Will the transmission hold up to repeated tow vehicle use?
I mean seriously this weekend we had 25 tow rigs at the race, not a single LR amongst 'em...are ou smarter than all those gusys or are you missing something?

I'd buy a super nice 2nd gen cummins, stick, no auto. If you're going to daily drive it, don't get a dually, if you're only using it to tow, certainly get a dually.. Gas trucks are for people who trade often and don't give a damn about shitty re-sale, that ain't me.

Unless i was on the road a ton..(towing at min once a week)
id look for a gas. I loved my crew 6.0 seemed like a perfect middle ground for dd/tow rig. Test drove the 8.1 and it was ok but just didnt see the extra mpg out the window for it. Although it was in a sub..It still didnt do much for me.

So if it were me id look at a crew sierra or chevy in 6.0..Possible 8.1

FK DDing a diesel...upkeep out the ying yang..wait to start..etc..just a lot of BS if your not useing it all the time.

I'd buy a super nice 2nd gen cummins, stick, no auto. If you're going to daily drive it, don't get a dually, if you're only using it to tow, certainly get a dually.. Gas trucks are for people who trade often and don't give a damn about shitty re-sale, that ain't me.

what years are best?

Back