$14k to spend on a tow rig...what should I look for

Ok, so this is what I am dealing with..as big woody says, you can get a cosmetically nice gasser for that price...agreed. Diesel have more pulling power, better mileage, and the engine goes forever, agreed. What about the rest of the truck? I know that the a diesel engine goes for hundreds of thousands of miles but what about the drivetrain, interior, etc. I understand that everything fails gasser or not, but If I am dd this thing its more than just the engine and pulling power that I have to consider. Its going to be 90% DD and 10% tow rig. Dodge interior is awful compared to chevy or even fords (in my year range). I never hear someone say my dodge is an awesome all around truck...I normally hear dodge owners say you cant beat a cummins...chevy owners say I wish I had a cummins but you cant beat the ride and quality of my chevy. See my point in what I am trying to weigh out? Its seems there is no solid answer. I guess I should just look for the best deal either way.

if its gonna be your DD that much which would you rather have?

a truck or a motor?

^that's a hard statement to validate.

if the OP wants a duramax, then by all means spend a little more and get one. You can't set a low price and expect to get a luxurious ride, awesome powertrain, and very low projected maintenance costs.

Best bang for YOUR buck, cburgin, is the newest truck you can afford. if body combinations are of no concern then get a reg. cab long bed (2 or 4wd) whatever...they are obviously the lower priced setup. My suggestion of a 2003 or newer dodge with that body style still stands.

OR if it is such a problem, buy a $4k civic with good AC and a $10k truck to tow with.

yep i do the same. my DD is a nissan sentra.

i'll say that my 02 dodge truck is a great all around truck. great interior, reliable, great to drive. my dads 03 dodge diesel is even nicer, and it has been his DD for the past 5 years with no problems besides a lift pump and a water pump at 140k. my uncles 07 dodge diesel is even nicer than that, but i wont comment on it since it's a 6.7L.

i'll admit that my favorite TRUCK is an F-250 as far as looks, interior, etc. but they dont come with a C.

i'm not a strict ford, chevy, dodge diehard by any means because they all make good and bad stuff. im just like you and want to spend my money where it's the most worth it.

^that's a hard statement to validate.
if the OP wants a duramax, then by all means spend a little more and get one. You can't set a low price and expect to get a luxurious ride, awesome powertrain, and very low projected maintenance costs.
Best bang for YOUR buck, cburgin, is the newest truck you can afford. if body combinations are of no concern then get a reg. cab long bed (2 or 4wd) whatever...they are obviously the lower priced setup. My suggestion of a 2003 or newer dodge with that body style still stands.
OR if it is such a problem, buy a $4k civic with good AC and a $10k truck to tow with.

this was my first consideration. Just dont know if I have room for 3 cars and a trailer living in the city.

^c'mon now

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=276845749&dealer_id=565820&car_year=1998&rdm=1277326111294&lastStartYear=1981&model=RAM25002WD&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1994&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=Diesel&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=68510&showZipError=y&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=4 wheel drive&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=28677&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_year=1998&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=26&standard=false

16248071502.276845749.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

the dodge autos are "ok" until you put power adders on.
Really at around 150k any auto that sees tow time is ready for a refresh...

Ok, so this is what I am dealing with..as big woody says, you can get a cosmetically nice gasser for that price...agreed. Diesel have more pulling power, better mileage, and the engine goes forever, agreed. What about the rest of the truck? I know that the a diesel engine goes for hundreds of thousands of miles but what about the drivetrain, interior, etc. I understand that everything fails gasser or not, but If I am dd this thing its more than just the engine and pulling power that I have to consider. Its going to be 90% DD and 10% tow rig. Dodge interior is awful compared to chevy or even fords (in my year range). I never hear someone say my dodge is an awesome all around truck...I normally hear dodge owners say you cant beat a cummins...chevy owners say I wish I had a cummins but you cant beat the ride and quality of my chevy. See my point in what I am trying to weigh out? Its seems there is no solid answer. I guess I should just look for the best deal either way.

IMHO, you are shooting at a moving target. No truck will be perfect for both. One will be better than the other at certain things. I am a DIE HARD Ford man. I have 3 fords in my yard (expedition, f350 w/ 7.3 PSD, taures) and grew up with fords. All I have ever known are fords. My family's experience with ford has been great. Others will disagree and say ford sucks. Their 6.0L diesel does. My point is that pick the brand of you truck YOU like, then make the decisions on 1/2-3/4 ton, etc...

While I have your attention, I get so tired of waiting on my friends CTDs and Dmaxs when towing on wheeling trips. Just kidding. Having some fun. Good luck.

You can certainly get a cosmetically "nicer" and lower mile gas truck in this price range. As someone who has dealt in cars and trucks for the last 20 years, one thing I've learned for sure; Don't look at the miles as much as the overall condition. I'd rather have a really nice 350k mile diesel, than a rough 100k one.
As far as one costing you more money to repair than another (gas vs diesel)...unless your buying one under warrenty it's really apples to apples. Anything can fail at any milage. The diesel is a really simple engine to work on in comparison to a 6.0/5.3...gen3 chevy motor. There's just not that much "stuff" on CTD.
yep. extremely simple. no having to worry about ignition parts either.

Well guys i know both of you know alot of what your talking about BUT i will say I do LOVE my dodge but it has been in 2 different shops now for over a month now!!!

2 guys over 30 years experience and me spending over 3000 bucks in just parts and still no answers.......

I will say 2003-04 dodge do have lift pump,injector problems which i thought mine was but i have recently replaced:

injectors
cp3
ECM
lift pump
misc. fuel lines
all kinds of sensors
still having cranking problems......

and deisel parts are VERY expensive,I just hope after we FINALLy figure mine out it will last ALONG time because it is awesome and pulls like crazy!I was getting 20 mpg with 37" M-16 swampers and crazy power gotta love a diesel!

thats sad to hear man, but i gotta say that you got a lemon....

i know three guys personally that have 03s that have been just short of flawless.

thats sad to hear man, but i gotta say that you got a lemon....
i know three guys personally that have 03s that have been just short of flawless.

Yeah you got that right it seems like im good at picking out the lemons!

There are actually a few other guys around town I have met that have 03's and they have had starting problems with theres but theres was simple(injectors) unlike mine lol!

[preface: I'm pretty sure it's evident who likes which trucks, now that we are 5 pages into this thread]

People are scared of automatic transmissions because they have friends that abuse the shit out of them. Yes, yes, you can kill a 47re Dodge trans with 37's and 3.55 gears behind a cummins. you can also kill one in a dually with a tuner set on "kill" if you go around powerbraking it all day long, then expect to go tow a 12k load afterward. The possibilities are endless; you just need to do your homework when shopping.

^bingo, Commonrail cummins
2003 or newer cummins, regular cab long bed 4x4, either transmission is fine. If you can stand the regular cab, that truck would yield the best bang for your buck as a DD.
I've yet to see a factory 7.3 diesel get more than 12-13mpg normal driving
i had a 7.3 with 35 inch swampers that got 16 mpg,was at 18 till it was lifted and 35's.towing was 13 mpg.

Well guys i know both of you know alot of what your talking about BUT i will say I do LOVE my dodge but it has been in 2 different shops now for over a month now!!!

2 guys over 30 years experience and me spending over 3000 bucks in just parts and still no answers.......

I will say 2003-04 dodge do have lift pump,injector problems which i thought mine was but i have recently replaced:

injectors
cp3
ECM
lift pump
misc. fuel lines
all kinds of sensors
still having cranking problems......

and deisel parts are VERY expensive,I just hope after we FINALLy figure mine out it will last ALONG time because it is awesome and pulls like crazy!I was getting 20 mpg with 37" M-16 swampers and crazy power gotta love a diesel!
I know lots that have had problems witth the common rail trucks...that's why I suggested a really nice 2000-2002. Sorry yours is having issues.

i had a 7.3 with 35 inch swampers that got 16 mpg,was at 18 till it was lifted and 35's.towing was 13 mpg.

Yeah I saw that post earlier, I don't know who he was talking to, but I get 17-18 hand calculated all day w/ a CC 4x4 7.3 I've never got less than 14 or 14.5 towing my rig.

I'll be a son of a bitch then. I grew up working on a friends farm that had two 00-02 7.3 CC duallys and one cclb f350 that never got far over 13mpg average until they put a chip/intake/exhaust on.

Back