$14k to spend on a tow rig...what should I look for

^ yeah he grew up right there at the mill, Chad. Hurley we saw your truck this past weekend up at the ECORS thing....looks real slick in person man! I bet it'll fly.

Chad did you see that link CJ posted???? That has got to be a misprint right??

...Uh yeah. It looks better in person too. It didnt look as tall as the pics (which IMO is a good thing)

that 4x4 E350 was sick too, I think I saw somewhere that one of the vendors on here is doing these conversions locally. Might have been Jody Treadway, cant remember.

There ya go Chad, get'cha one of those 7.3L vans and do the 4x4 conv. on it. Gangsta

my gramps live in hamptonville....and most my family is from wilkes

Ben It really trips me out how many people on here are from hamptonville. Woodcrawler, Hammerite_05, Hurley, myself, and seems like a few others I cant remember. Whats even funnier is that there is only like 100 people total who live in H-ville and Ive never actually met any of the guys I mentioned above.

Firetoy's rig was badass in person....
Jody's buddy ahd the 4x4 van...

and to the guy that cant diagnose the CTD dodge...PM me Ill take care of it.

Ben It really trips me out how many people on here are from hamptonville. Woodcrawler, Hammerite_05, Hurley, myself, and seems like a few others I cant remember. Whats even funnier is that there is only like 100 people total who live in H-ville and Ive never actually met any of the guys I mentioned above.

yeah man thats crazy!I was talking to your grandpa about a month ago or so at a funeral(shelbys brother garys funeral)we talked about ya some he was asking me about if I still had my yota lol!
Firetoy's rig was badass in person....
Jody's buddy ahd the 4x4 van...

and to the guy that cant diagnose the CTD dodge...PM me Ill take care of it.

hey skyhik5 I pmed ya thanks!

yeah man thats crazy!I was talking to your grandpa about a month ago or so at a funeral(shelbys brother garys funeral)we talked about ya some he was asking me about if I still had my yota lol!

Haha, yeah he told me that. And speakin' of lemons, that thing is far from it!

Right now I am looking at a 98 24v extended cab short bed with 4x4 with 140k. Dash is bad but has a cover and driver seat is torn. Its has a few small dents but seems to be in great overall shape. Its the original owner who is selling it and it has never had any mods what so ever. New clutch, brakes, ball joints, and sway bar all in the past month. Will try to get pics

Check and see if its the 53 block

'53' blocks are said to be more prone to cracking/failure, but many have no issue with them on modified setups & whatnot.

that is going to be a personal preference.
Depends on how paranoid you can be I suppose....but I will say this.
I work for Cummins, and *if* I bought a 53 it would probably take a $2500 cut off what i was willing to pay

that is going to be a personal preference.
Depends on how paranoid you can be I suppose....but I will say this.
I work for Cummins, and *if* I bought a 53 it would probably take a $2500 cut off what i was willing to pay

That bad of an issue? What I read says its 8 to 1 that it will be a 53 so how could you dodge this from 98-2002? Now I am worried.

Now im reading that 98.5s-2002 are pieces of sh!t! I dont know what to do... I will just throw it out there. Here is what I have found...

I found a 98 2500 cummins. white, short bed, extended cab, 5spd, 4x4. It has 144k miles and its a one owner. Cold a/c. Dash is bad but has a new cover, seat is torn but interior is clean, small dent on the top of the bed rail but over all i great shape. It has a new clutch, pressure plate, greasable ball joints, brakes, and a sway bar all within a month. I know the guy I am buying it from. His is a stand up guy. He is selling it because his father bought him a new company truck. Tires are good. Never been offroad, underneath is very clean but not doctored up. I dont know if its a 53 block but looking at the statistics online, im sure it probly is...$6500.

Ill go back to what i said.
would you pay 9k if you KNEW it was a clean solid truck.
If so pull the trigger...you will probably never have an issue.
But you should be prepared.

Now im reading that 98.5s-2002 are pieces of sh!t! I dont know what to do... I will just throw it out there. Here is what I have found...
I found a 98 2500 cummins. white, short bed, extended cab, 5spd, 4x4. It has 144k miles and its a one owner. Cold a/c. Dash is bad but has a new cover, seat is torn but interior is clean, small dent on the top of the bed rail but over all i great shape. It has a new clutch, pressure plate, greasable ball joints, brakes, and a sway bar all within a month. I know the guy I am buying it from. His is a stand up guy. He is selling it because his father bought him a new company truck. Tires are good. Never been offroad, underneath is very clean but not doctored up. I dont know if its a 53 block but looking at the statistics online, im sure it probly is...$6500.

Sounds like a good deal to me!

dang dude, it just had to be too good to be true huh??
Honestly, for how you're going to use it chad I doubt it will ever give you trouble...that being said, that shit would worry me to death.

I say pop on the ZJ and reevaluate the whole situation...You know you aren't getting hurt there.

have you actually decided to look at the block ID on any of these trucks? seems like something too simple to not verify

below injection pump:

awww.stamey.info_Truck_Images_DSide7m.JPG

below oil filter housing/assy:

awww.stamey.info_Truck_Images_PSide1m.JPG

Back