"Gonna do it right...maybe!!??" Fuller's new XJ build!!!

Stood on a mountainside and watched a $100k rig burn to this

burnt-up-300x225.jpg
burnt-3.jpg

BTW that was on a green... and the driver needed treatment for burns

Those back rims that are missing were aluminum and melted...

Ohh boy here we go.......

Those pictures are why I have started carrying two fire extinguishers... and not small ones either.

put a smaller Polly tank in. ...what the heck is that

This thread just took a wrong turn lol

Well with as many straps as I'm putting on this tank, I think it will outlast anything else on the jeep. Putting 5metal straps..then one ratchet strap...then holding it in with framing...then build box around it

Space isn't an issue since I ditched the torpedo cannon!

Meh what do I know I've only caught mine of fire twice and seen at least 5 other rigs catch on fire for various reasons.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Btw man sorry to hear that happen, seriously. I don't by any means put your tank advise down I just looking for simple response.
At the end of the day doesn't matter what we put in cause anything "can" catch fire and as shared, $100k rig or 100rig don't make a bit of difference. Many many people successfully mount tanks in the rear and vent properly (if all hoses hooked up lol)and wheel just fine and safe. I just asked if should go open or boxed in cause I've seen a lot of both that's all. Thank u

Those pictures are why I have started carrying two fire extinguishers... and not small ones either.

Iirc we dumped 5 or 6 10lbers on that.
Fuel pump relay welded.
Every time fire went out the pump sprayed gas on it.

$30Xj was 4 leafs, right?

@Dylan W.
Nope. Coils up front. I added the cheapo 2" pucks to the front and blocks to the rear, doubling my investment in it for the race.

Last edited:
Anyone have a ballpark of how much lift to expect from 52"Chevy leafs in front of an Xj..or rear. Thank you
My neighbor has a leaf sprung XJ it looks to be around 7 inches. I think he used waggy springs up front though.

Okay put a smaller Polly tank in. No reason for a tank the size of a stock tank that you only use for wheeling. Save space. Easier to strap down. Stock tank isn't gonna be easy to secure properly, also won't be able to vent right so cab will fill with fumes.

I agree that a stock tank isnt going to be easy to secure. But I dont agree that a cell is safer than a tank when moved inside, if you secure the ports/vents properly. You haveto cap/route/vent the ports on a tank or cell securely either way. And, IMO, if you are putting it in a enclosed cab, it should have a cover/firewall. It really should have one, in an open cab/buggy, but fumes arent as bad with them.

I would recess the tank into the floor to help support it. Similar to this:

jeeppics028.jpg

axleswap017.jpg

DSC03407.jpg

DSC03414.jpg

Then build a metal box over top it.

Iirc we dumped 5 or 6 10lbers on that.
Fuel pump relay welded.
Every time fire went out the pump sprayed gas on it.
Sounds like you should add a good pair of cable cutters to the Fast Action Response Team kit.

First off IDK Jack about XJs so I can't comment alot about that.

But Id like to differ on your wood floor. You said you have $326 in it and said it was way way cheaper than concrete.

10'x20'x.33(4"depth)/27=2.44 yds of concrete
2.5 yds x $120per yd=$300
$300+$50 delivery =$350
$350+ $20 in form boards=$370

Screed it out, borrow a hand trowel and smooth it out, and you have a concrete slab that will last forever.
You saved a whole $44
I just hope you finish the jeep before the wood boards rot into the ground.

Lots of good info is being given to you freely by some very knowledgeable guys. Don't let that go to waste.
Just like the wooden floor (as w/ the jeep) keep in mind cheaper isn't always better. Especially when it comes to safety and longevity.
Good luck with the build

First off IDK Jack about XJs so I can't comment alot about that.

But Id like to differ on your wood floor. You said you have $326 in it and said it was way way cheaper than concrete.

10'x20'x.33(4"depth)/27=2.44 yds of concrete
2.5 yds x $120per yd=$300
$300+$50 delivery =$350
$350+ $20 in form boards=$370

Screed it out, borrow a hand trowel and smooth it out, and you have a concrete slab that will last forever.
You saved a whole $44
I just hope you finish the jeep before the wood boards rot into the ground.

Lots of good info is being given to you freely by some very knowledgeable guys. Don't let that go to waste.
Just like the wooden floor (as w/ the jeep) keep in mind cheaper isn't always better. Especially when it comes to safety and longevity.
Good luck with the build
Idk how he's getting his pricing but by his specs it would cost me 460-480 without nails and that's all non treated stuff.

Well for now I can live with 15/20psi plus I've had enough low psi annoyance wout beadlocks so I'm good lol

I wouldn't go below 20-25psi with 16.5 wheels. You may still burp beads at 20.

Ok got some work done this week...this sucks being so busy and taking a week to set one axle but its life...
Can anyone guesstimate the amount of lift by the looks of the rear. Fenders aren't trimmed yet and those are the 52"Chevy leafs...so far I like the stance and height seems good I guess...stable enough I hope with the wider axles than my last Xj...the gas tank is set for now until I figure out how I want to cover the whole section but its strapped in for sure
0331171732.jpg
0331171732_Burst01.jpg
0331171731a.jpg

Back