The TURD (TJ Under Restoration and Development)

F-trucks in Denton, NC. He has a Facebook page. Owner is Keith. Damn good fella.
How was he on price? When I was looking for a trans he was stupid high on a used one that was basically a core.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

How was he on price? When I was looking for a trans he was stupid high on a used one that was basically a core.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

He was by far cheaper than anywhere else I've checked. Even cheaper than getting them through my work at a junkyard (we get deals) So I'd say on axles at least he seems to be very fair priced.

So for Mother's Day, I took the axles up to the farm to unload for destruction time. And I cleaned out the basement for Mama :) plus blew all the dust out and set up my table for engine assembly that will be ongoing throughout the week. I'm getting real excited now that everything is finally coming back together after spending a year saving up for parts and running everything down that was needed. I'm still waiting on 2 fittings to finish the oil primer project. Will post a build thread when they get here.
IMG_0411_zpsmvrw2stv.jpg

IMG_0412_zpsgmjljakm.jpg

IMG_0406_zpsuxu4jo9x.jpg

IMG_0407_zpsnrumgewz.jpg

IMG_0408_zpswsfkica6.jpg

IMG_0410_zps1beb86bk.jpg

Small update. All new sensors and high performance oil pump showed up today . Plus the platigage for bearing clearances. This week is very busy lol.

IMG_04161_zps44rgwhuk.jpg

IMG_04171_zpsufqz4f6i.jpg

Few things I've been lacking over the years. I've built 10 or more engines, but most of the time I used the cheap or home brew way of doing some of the assembly processes. Well, since I know I'm going to be building more of these in the future, I decided to get a few things I've never had before.

Up first is this cool book I found online. I have many for old SBC's and Fords that I've used in the past. But this book is just cool to read in general for a gearhead. Plus it has all the torque seq and such and shiny pictures!!! [thumbsup] A bit nicer than a haynes manual lol.

And I bought a nice pushrod length checker, and some piston ring pliers.

Finally is an addition to my collection of precision tools I own. This is a 1/2'' drive 12.5 ftlb - 250 ftlb "TechAngle" torque wrench.
Gotta make sure the LS is happy :) And I do use this a lot at work. Tired of borrowing a guy up the streets' , lol. Thanks @snappy

And yes I'm still waiting on one more fitting to show up so I can complete my "priming tool" (more updates coming on that soon)

IMG_0419_zpsgsvhsrwx.jpg

IMG_0420_zpsdviptboc.jpg

Made some progress last night and this morning. I've found that since this is mine, I'm being very meticulous about everything and it's killing my time.

Got the engine on the stand with the help of none other than my Mama. She held the stand from rolling while I deadlifted the block with stand attached. Honestly not that bad, maybe (250lbs)

IMG_0425%20-%20Copy_zpszguq3c3i.jpg

Prepped for paint.. I wanted to shoot myself for not bringing an exacto knife... Razor blades dulled so fast on the cast.. OMG!

IMG_0430%20-%20Copy_zpsyawcyoqe.jpg

Primed!

IMG_0433%20-%20Copy_zps18ckta52.jpg

Base done ready for clear.. It's so freaking blue!!!. I love it, will match the paint scheme of archangel so well.

IMG_0435%20-%20Copy_zpsbitenobm.jpg

Done , in the darkness lol

IMG_0452%20-%20Copy_zpscfwzz2th.jpg

Add some flash!

IMG_0454%20-%20Copy_zpsrsaymied.jpg

My current wallpaper till I get her fully assembled..

IMG_0455_zpsb2my2y4u.jpg

And a sneek peak on the heads.. Gotta have the bling!!!

FQUD5684%20-%20Copy_zpsauypjzus.jpg

I'm letting is cure tonight and will begin reassembly tomorrow as I'm celebrating 12 years of wonderful marriage tonight.. If she don't shoot me for my last Paypal transaction for link ends.. lmao.

I've spent the past week cleaning this thing relentlessly. Cleaned every threaded hole in the block. Even after 3 baths at the machine shop.. it was dirty(very) [thumbsup] Finally ready for a nice soapy water bath Saturday and then I can do pre-assembly for checking bearing clearance and ring gap.. etc. Long block will be done by Sunday. And some axle pictures will be coming soon.

18582166_10208759787543220_4992281151635786099_n_zpsftvuautz.jpg

Done a little bit this weekend with family in town. Had to clean up some areas for my brother's wedding. This area was totally covered in weeds before. Wished I got a before picture before all the hard work. But it turned out nice. And I found out the new cam retainer/oil seal plate I'd purchased through GMPP did not include nice countersunk bolts. So I got as far as I could on the block till I order some of those. Everything fits very well, so well I'm running 5w-30. Clearances were pretty much stock everywhere. (Giving credit to the amazing machine work from M&M Block & Head. Hope to have her done by next weekend via parts coming in.

Getting her clean again. I cleaned this thing so much lol.
IMG_0489_zpstytilqdt.jpg

Main's installed getting ready for bearing clearance

IMG_0499_zpsrtfaokyk.jpg

All oil gallies mirror finish. This took a while... [thumbsup]

IMG_0496_zpsk8lm5gu3.jpg

Main clearance a tick under .002, which is stock clearance. .0018 Tight=long lasting.

IMG_0510_zpstpk4uyyt.jpg

Crank runout and thrust checked. Both within spec!

IMG_0515_zpsfwbb4tor.jpg

All pistons in, cam installed. Waiting on new retainer bolts.

IMG_0519_zpswoex4zal.jpg

Got about as far as I could today. The oil pan will be here Tuesday with the new pickup tube and all. I can't install the front cover till I get the pickup installed ;D . Anyways I installed the double roller timing chain (if you are building an LS save yourself worry and get a LS2 single roller or a C5-R timing chain. And maybe the SLP pump) I did not have any issues luckily with my timing cover hitting like most do. But the clearance between the chain and back of the pump is tight! (.020") Which is fine, im pretty sure. May even help with excess oil on the timing chain, like a crank scraper [laugh] . Everything went together nicely and I used shims to make sure my drive ring wasnt hitting the pump housing. I do like the assurance of the double roller.. and she is a tight girl.. was fun getting the cam sprocket on.. so the extra concerns of clearance and etc do not outweigh the dependability of the double roller chain set imho. But I made the statement above to save some future strife if your building one.

IMG_0527_zps9gm7eujp.jpg

I used a silver sharpie to mark the tooth on the crank gear as the drive collar for the oil pump covered up the mark on the gear itself

IMG_0529_zpsrn4h00jq.jpg

Shimming the pump gears for proper alignment.

IMG_0530_zpsnydllqmo.jpg

IMG_0531_zps9ude5hpx.jpg

All done!

GUHP17331_zpsawc2beze.jpg

Got a bit closer today. Engine will be basically done tomorrow. :)

Modified my pickup hold down bracket in a vise. Fit like a glove.

IMG_0545_zpsdck9tpsw.jpg

F body oil pan, looks good if I dont say myself. :)

VCTN8972_zpsijlrfbdn.jpg

And here's a shot of why I went with the different oil pan. Rocks and oil pans don't mix

IMG_0546_zpstf05dyv0.jpg

Finally finishing this dang thing lol. Intake and accessories to go on tomorrow.

18952900_10208909594688305_2520013938689808969_n_zpsxahjvamy.jpg

19029257_10208909594888310_6684728899579434071_n_zpsmlcv3xsx.jpg

18951170_10208909594928311_149071483164873742_n_zpsrlullbke.jpg

She's pretty much done now. Need to locate some manifolds and purchase some Injectors this week. And pick up some accessories for the front.

Also looking for a set of these. If you have them hit me up. (on the cheap) 2010-14 Camaro I do believe.

s-l1600_zps9jbssmrq.jpg

Pictars...

Upgraded Comp Cams trunnion rockers from Michigan Motorsports on ebay.

IMG_0557_zpscmsgqava.jpg

All zipped up from some different angles

IMG_0560_zpsct5susnz.jpg

IMG_0562_zpserahatjv.jpg

IMG_0567_zpsujgqxpql.jpg

Last edited:
Well I drove up to Schoch yesterday and picked up these. From a 03' Rubicon, and it was a gold one :) Seats look and feel brand new, had covers on them sometime, found the left over strings on the brackets. I'll probably slap some diver down charcoal grey and black covers from quadratec on there to keep them pretty.

IMG_0575_zpsqvb2ll42.jpg

IMG_0577_zpsrd0kcbtf.jpg

It was miserably hot out there today. But I did get the rear axle ready for mock up. And got all the front torn down to get ready to cut it up.

IMG_0579_zpspaefewtq.jpg

IMG_0582_zpsgfcixrlw.jpg

And as always.. Safety first. When your doing a lot of grinding, cutting.. Please protect your eyes, lungs and your ears.. People always forget the ears... Hard to hear your spotter if your deaf! :)

IMG_0581_zpsqfov1pug.jpg

I gotta pressure wash a house before my brother's wedding this weekend and clean up, So probably not looking for much on the TURD this week, maybe next Sunday I'll get the front axle done. Thanks for continuing to watch. :)

Almost sold everything. Wife told me no.. I love that woman. Life happens sometimes. Decided to keep on plugging away with what I can. Hope to have it done next year at least to enjoy some warm weather. Thanks for all your support and inspiration. Hope to have some new pictures/updates soon.

Artec Back half kit came in today. Long nights incoming :0

hXtvcJyl.jpg

nUCQXCGl.jpg

Now to decide if I want to build a custom fuel cell.. Thinking about cutting a hole in bed, reinforcing with angle, and dropping a 22 gallon about 9'' deep and still try to use the factory fill location. Lot's of maths involved :)

Got most of the stuff cut of the frame, now to finish the grinding fun and get her put back together hopefully next weekend. This is the hardest part, cleaning all this crap off. :)
kyFuaeA.jpg

hmeR1YL.jpg

gwdSm3f.jpg

He was by far cheaper than anywhere else I've checked. Even cheaper than getting them through my work at a junkyard (we get deals) So I'd say on axles at least he seems to be very fair priced.
I checked for a SD sterling rear and he wanted $600 o_O. I didn't even reply to that. I got my front axle for less than that.

I checked for a SD sterling rear and he wanted $600 o_O. I didn't even reply to that. I got my front axle for less than that.

I hunted for about 3 weeks. And paid $1k for both front and rear. I thought that was fair considering most yards want almost that for just the front. And now people are figuring out what kind of gold those 35 splined outers are. Pure beef. demand goes up, price goes up. Is a 14 bolt cheaper to build and stronger? Maybe with the pinion support, but shaving etc.. is it cheaper? I'll agree thats a little steep for a rear. But atleast his stuff is straight. :) And I'm glad we all get those really cool deals every once in a while. Some people I know continue to have a golden horse shoe up the rear.... but I digress. I paid what I paid, and considering the shopping I did at the time, paid a fair price. And he's a good guy to deal with. Good luck with your build.

Just read most of your thread man. Looks sweet as hell and very similar to the one I'm building except you're taking your time and restoring it first. Mines still a rust bucket. Too bad photosucket ate most of the pics in here.

To prime the oil pump, you can use a funnel and a piece of 3/8" hose. Fits snug in the port near the pump.. saw it in a melling video on the ls oil pump.. no need for screw adapters.

Hurry up!! This thing is going to be sick!!

Back