Shop, Garage, & Dirt Floor Tricks....

My latest creation. My dad built and machined the majority of this tube notcher a few years ago for a guy and he no longer needed it. So..... it became mine I added a larger motor, built a nice stand, geared it down a little more and built a nice cover over the motor and drive system.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422061736540.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422061736540.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 439
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422061745779.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422061745779.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 410
My latest creation. My dad built and machined the majority of this tube notcher a few years ago for a guy and he no longer needed it. So..... it became mine I added a larger motor, built a nice stand, geared it down a little more and built a nice cover over the motor and drive system.
Did you ever make use of that wire bender?

Not yet. I literally stand and stare at it once a week trying to decide what to use it for. It's amazingly powerful. I've bent 1/2 hot rolled round bar in it like butter. It has a ton of power. Just haven't found a use yet.

Anyone have any tricks for doing a full four wheel alignment/link adjustment on a 4 linked f&r rig? I've got the geometry part down on paper but just taking notes before I start. Waiting the mud puddles to dry up first. :lol:

Not yet. I literally stand and stare at it once a week trying to decide what to use it for. It's amazingly powerful. I've bent 1/2 hot rolled round bar in it like butter. It has a ton of power. Just haven't found a use yet.
Ya, pretty much the same thing we did. It was cool, used it for 2-3 things. Really liked it and was impressed with it, but could find that one practical thing.

Use it for bending rebar or sell it to someone who does concrete work.

Yeah I thought about that. It would be perfect for repeated bends like guys would need for concrete reinforcement or baskets to go around pylons. I just don't think it's quite powerful enough to bend large enough rebar.

I've been meaning to calculate the actual force the cylinder has at a given psi. Once I know that I'll have a better idea of what I could do with it. Changing the size of the pinion gear could make it strong enough to do much more than it can now. You'd loose some rotation but might even make it capable of bending smaller tube like 1" or so with the right die.

I also work some on my gravel drive and parking area. I use the hand truck to move my jack to where I need it. The hand truck always stays beside the jack.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_157DF5FA_A48E_451C_803A_5391F049F51B_zpsotmxvu3z.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_D05AD212_C4A2_4069_BD5B_47B6A880435B_zps9fdlelk6.jpg

I also use a hose directly from my hot water heater to clean stuff that needs some heat like a dirty engine.

I also have a Wilton "ATV" model vise which is designed to be used from a 2" receiver hitch. When you really have to put some pressure on something to bend it, it is better than my other Wilton mounted on a stand. It is great for use away from home. The nice flat anvil area can really take a beating.

aencrypted_tbn3_gstatic_com_images_19bf00776b8d4c6ea9d3e173de47ec08._.jpg

ademandware.edgesuite.net_aaea_prd_on_demandware.static_Sites_202e1a248831ac22363d4f3273c40d97.jpg

Another thing I use in the heat and in the cold if there is rain is my easy up tent. It can be a lifesaver when working on a vehicle outdoors.

18" pipe and a strong right leg! Lol. I promise anyone that trick is quicker and easier than beating that crossmember backwards.

The two I've pulled required a porta power and close to two inches of spreading, you must have a very large hammer. Bet it was fun operating that hi-lift with a ft of clearance.

18" pipe and a strong right leg! Lol. I promise anyone that trick is quicker and easier than beating that crossmember backwards.

I don't know what yall are doing different but a 2lb sledge slide the crossmember up until it hits the floor pan knock forward then down to align the holes. Some were more difficult than others but I guarantee it was in there faster than you could get a tool or pipe wedged in there, Some people just got it I guess. :D

I used the pipe in the jack handle for leverage. One click and I can remove or install it with my hands. I've done it with a porta power and a house jack, the hi lift was the quickest and easiest for me.

To each their own:beer:

Another tool I hope to never be without at home or away from home is my Snap-on CT7850 cordless impact. Lithium batteries, 650lb/ft trq and no hose. Goes with me everywhere with 3/4, 13/16 and 7/8 Snap-on deep sockets (lug nuts) and a 1-1/2 deep for trailer balls. If I had to pick one favorite tool, this would be it. It even has a super bright LED light for those late night tire changes LOL

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_753407A9_E462_4C6F_93C2_613DDCD1F357_zpsba50kass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery life is phenomenal. I know guys who use one in the dealership now instead of a airgun, and they have air hoses everywhere.

I have removed and installed my 32 lugnuts multiple times in one day on one battery.

The one MarsFab has is no slouch either. It changed the game with these type tools when it came out.

Back