Shop, Garage, & Dirt Floor Tricks....

that was more of a harassment, there's barely enough space to walk currently.

more contribution to thread:

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5066_5770235292_44d28432a6_z.jpg

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5265_5770234746_783116cf08_z.jpg

Purpose built work table.... not 100% perfect, but it works. I have a plate attached to inside of notch allowing me to attach a transmission inverted to allow for easy work during a rebuild (er, the only rebuild ive done so far)

Last edited:
sounds evident but I worked on a pea gravel floor for years while I built mine. I would throw down random pieces of scrap plywood underneath to make rolling the jack easier and for jack stands too for small jobs.

My garage is slowly turning into a Fab shop :rockon: I had so much crap sitting on the floor, I decided to build this weird little temporary shelf. Material cost like 12 bucks at Lowes. Turns out it holds all kinds of crazy stuff. I think I might end up building something similar out of steel.

View attachment 77414

Needs more triangulation. ...;-)

Pretty impressed with this piano thing. Should make for an awesome welding table. 1/2 inch iron all around, super strong. No doubt it's between 100-120 pounds. Lots of different ways to use this thing to my advantage. Other than getting it off the floor, does any one have any good ideas to max it's potential?

IMG_20131018_215321.jpg

IMG_20131026_220820.jpg

This peg board was on the walls, when we moved here years ago. Never been a fan of peg board, but never really used it, and I can't tell you why? o_O. Som-bitch this stuff is awesome! Everything is where you can see it and everything has its own place. I kept trying to put things in the perfect spot, but hell, it wouldn't take an hour to rearrange the whole thing.

Makes me wonder what else I ignore, because I told myself I didn't like it, one time a long time ago?

IMG_20131112_034000.jpg

IMG_20131112_155840.jpg

I have a gravel driveway on a slope and a level concrete sidewalk to the front porch. That's where I do work that involves removing wheels. I put stacked 2x10s under the jackstands on the ground on one side of the vehicle and the otherside on the sidewalk. I changed the trans/tf case on my lifted Toy last year by myself w just a small floor jack by using 4 push button tiedown straps slung underneath the drivetrain and hooked accross the framerails, to help lower/raise the drivetrain w the small jack. It worked pretty well. I had the floorjack raised up on a stack of 6x6 and 2x10 wood and was able to adjust the straps to make removing/lowering and putting it back together relativly easy as I was free to move the jack around while the dt hung on the straps. It was also very safe as there was no way the DT was gonna fall on me and/or get damaged.

Welding table - 4x4 piano parts, bahaha

Gonna make some cool stuff with this thing....

IMG_20131128_022103.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my welding/fabrication/assembly/grillin/beer drinking table. It used to be a landing in a set of stairs leading to a catwalk I dismantled at my old job.
IMAG0200.jpg

My latest project.

I do a lot of cutting on my plasma table and some pieces have a little dross on the back so I'm building a flap sander to quickly de-dross and de-burr parts. It'll be 3 horsepower belt driven with a 2"x 6" flap wheel until I can find a source for an 8" or even a 10" . The guard over the belt and the sanding wheel will be removable plus I will have different guards for the wheel so I can change to a large wire wheel or different diameter flap wheel. The wheel will turn down and away from you so you just hold the part against the bottom edge.

I still have to mount the motor and build a stand that will allow for the head to be raised and lowered.

IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2348.PNG

Honestly, that has to be one of the most satisfying things to do - fabricate your own tool(s), and one that is 100% function driven all while looking good.

I went to Lowe's today after work, and bought a roll around mop bucket and an average industrial clamp mop. I test mopped about 10 sq ft. with just a gallon of water. and.... bwhahaha.. 10 sq ft sucked!!!! Not only did the scrubbing use up almost the entire gallon of water but, it might take me until lunch time or later to do it for real, and mop the half of the shop on the working side of the 2x4 wall. I don't know how many sq ft. the shop is. Guess I just never got around to measuring it, but after I got done with the mop test, I told myself I'm either going to need a machine to do this. Maybe, the one that dude rides around on at "WAL-MART" in the middle of the night, or get the right soap/degreaser combination that will rip up anything, and use the mop. The "WAL-MART" machine would give my grandpa something to do, but it's just totally unnecessary. Fun to think about though. Wonder what one costs.

Anyways, after the mop test I walked around the shop looking towards organization, because there is a ton of stuff on the floor just building up, and inching it's way closer from the area "I just put stuff" to where we do work. My dad's built 4, 2x8 double level shelves, with 2x4's and plywood, and there all occupied. I've been noticing the growth of "stuff" over time but today I was just like, wow it's past time to work on this. I was thinking about throwing a vote out there, for a 'shop section on NC4x4, which would be uber cool, and I would live there :D but then I remembered that this thread exists.

I have a lot of tooling and machinery questions on my mind also, but I won't get into that yet. There are 14 axle housings in the shop. 4 or 5 more that I need to get out of the woods and racked up in the shop. 4 or 5 motors. Transmissions, transfer cases, all over the place. Wheels and tires galore. Remnant tubing 1/2 inch to 6ft, steel & aluminum plate here and there. Bumpers, winches, cages, purpose built sheet metal. Buggy seats, drive shafts, gas cans, fuel cells, coolers, radiators, light's, shocks and just tons of parts in general. I wish I had the percentage of time to just mess around, search, think, design, tinker and organize all of this stuff into roll around racks. But that's not going to happen.

Any photo's and all insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Back