Recon H3 build

I just need to get out there and try it out more. :driver:

The Flats are located in Marion exit 85 off I40. It's about 3.5 hours from you according to mapquest.

Question:
Why the slant back versus keeping it like it was?

Wanted an excuse to get rid of all the glass :) It reduces a lot of dead weight. At first I was just going to substitute it with alum panels. Then I noticed the interior had a perfect division right where we hacked it. At the same time the shop that did it, wanted to do a project that was completely different. They had just branched off on their own and needed to make a name for themselves. It was a combination of coming up with the idea, and perfect timing with the shop needing to do a project. I only had to pay for the material. :) Otherwise I would have just done the glass replacement. That's what made the whole project theme to change towards the "military" look. I plan to replace the door glass with polycarbonate to shave off some more weight. All in good time though.

Looks great man, how long did Off Road Evolution take from start to finish to wrap up the build?

Looks great man, how long did Off Road Evolution take from start to finish to wrap up the build?

Over two years. :( Way too long. They did great work, but they dragged their feet all along. This is a project that could have been done in 3 months at the most. It was extremely frustrating working with them because they're great people, and do great work, but man do they blow you off when you are not around.

I went through the same shit with a local Wilmington shop, the end result has been nice though. Again man, looks awesome.

When I left Cali it wasn't done. They had left a ton of small things unfinished. We couldn't even drive it onto the car-hauler. The worst was they left a bunch of cables hanging underneath. When I drove to Vegas for the SHOT Show, the cables melted on the exhaust, and short circuited many sensors. Car just stopped in the middle of the desert. With my iPhone I reset the computer and kept driving in limp mode. They had also cut one of the wheel sensor when installing the e-brake, and played dumb. These where things that weren't done by Mel himself, but by the guys that works there. They were always playing dumb to no do things. I had to sit there and point things out to them constantly. Very frustrating. :mad: On the other hand, the guys that did the body mods, which were all done by hand, where done in a less than a month!!!!!

Finally in CONUS!!!! Should be home in NC by tonight if all works out. Lots of small things to be done on the H3 so I can hit the trails. UCP is the main priority. Chas at ECGS will be doing most of the heavy duty stuff. Lee at TLC Transmission is going to help with the rest of the mechanical mods, as well as upgrading my OEM transfer case. Can't wait. :) Dying to try it out some more. It's been a long time since DPG.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Welcome to NC! I saw the H3 @ Hendrick Chevrolet yesterday and knew it had to be the one from Off Road Evolution...Then wondered why it wasn't still in SoCal until I searched here. Glad to hear that you met Chase @ ECGS...Between Andy, Lee, and Chase, you cannot go wrong.

I was out there picking up the Suburban with the wife. Once Chas and a Lee are done I plan to hit the trails.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Just checking is hood vent functional?

Not in the OEM setup. I have puller fans and holes drilled through to suck some of the heat from the engine bay.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Just dropped off the H3 at ECGS to have the guys make some UCP as well as iron out some small kinks. After they're done I'll be able to do some decent wheeling. Next step is to get Lee at TLC Transmission to do an upgrade on the transfer case. Slowly getting there :)

Didn't I see this rig in a feature article in a Petersen's 4WOD not too long ago????

Yes it was, but believe it or not, it wasn't really finished at the time of the photo shoot. The guys that were working on it dragged their feet so long that in the end it had a few issues that never got resolved. One of the main ones, was they never made the undercarriage protection. ECGS is going to help out getting it finished properly.

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y109_CanaryLupo_Recon_20H3_20Project_IMG_0377.jpg

Back on the operating table. :) The guys at East Coast Gear Supply in Raleigh,NC are making some very trick custom UCP. Whilst up there we discovered some serious issues with the drive lines that should have been dealt with instead of ignoring it like it wasn't there. :( They got on it right away. These guys are top notch. I'll post picks of all the stuff they are doing. They are incredibly fast!!! They will also be doing a mod to the spare tire carrier next week, as well as a custom jerry can holder that will go in it's place for when I carry the tire inside. They will also be adding some FOX hydraulic bump stops, that it needs desperately.

Thanks Mike. See ya tomorrow.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Nice pic of my bald spot :) I'll be calling you next time I need something fabricated.

Back