Gone Postal : Mail Jeep Build

Hey Chad, great work man! Looks awesome, sorry I have been at the beach all week on vacation. See if you didn't have an awesome jeep build like this you could go on real vacations haha.

I'll bee switching my days off this weekend so I'll come and help you out some if you need it.

So badass man.....
That thing is sick!! One of my favorite builds! Great work man!
i want this jeep. lol
Thats some motivation right there. Looking good. :beer:

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the good words. i am definitely motivated to get this this done now that it's got tires on it.

wow man you do great work i would give my tj up for that jeep any day lol and its my dd

i might trade it. then i could actually have one that runs. haha. :driver:

Hey Chad, great work man! Looks awesome, sorry I have been at the beach all week on vacation. See if you didn't have an awesome jeep build like this you could go on real vacations haha.

I'll bee switching my days off this weekend so I'll come and help you out some if you need it.

thanks mitch! i look forward to the help. i'll figure out a few projects for us. ur right about the jeep build = crappy vacations. haha.i wouldn't change it tho. :)

As if this thing isn't already original enough. I've figured out what I think would make it even more bad ass. I think you should chop the top 3 or 4 inches and rake the windsheild back a few more degrees. It looks like it would be fairly easy to do. I think if you cut the tub right below the side windows and went down 4 more inches and cut again it would line right back up. then for the front cut the front of the top out above the windshield and let let it sit down as low as it can over it. I think it would be sick if you did it.

that would be BAD ASS! I'll see what i can do whenever i get this thing running. i might need skills like yours to successfully achieve that though. i'll have to think about this before i have it painted. it would look killer. i could even put some window tint on the rear windows too.

lol you bring it to my house its yours but seriously man thats awesome jeep wish i could find one around here id build one also..keep it up and you'll be done in no time

Attachments

• 287987_190855004310411_100001577392406_513733_7841180_o.jpg
    287987_190855004310411_100001577392406_513733_7841180_o.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 807
Hey man I just noticed something. In the pic that you took from the rear, it looks like your driver side (right side in picture) is missing a U bolt on the leaf springs for the rear axle. Are my eyes decieving me?

I think you should sell the blue prints on this build to the postal service. That would be a sweet mail jeep........

Hey man I just noticed something. In the pic that you took from the rear, it looks like your driver side (right side in picture) is missing a U bolt on the leaf springs for the rear axle. Are my eyes decieving me?

dang you're good! i am missing one. i have to get one that fits a wider axle since the springs are into the housing. i still have to weld up the rear so it shouldn't be a problem until i wana drive it. haha. thanks for the heads up tho!

I think you should sell the blue prints on this build to the postal service. That would be a sweet mail jeep........

that would be sweet. then i would finally have some money in hand to finish this turd pile.

dang you're good! i am missing one. i have to get one that fits a wider axle since the springs are into the housing. i still have to weld up the rear so it shouldn't be a problem until i wana drive it. haha. thanks for the heads up tho!

Oh ok, lol. Cool deal. Teh more I look at this rig, the more I want it. and then I realize, I have no monies.:(

Coming right along. I still have the door off that thing. My neighbor was wanting to know where it came from. I told him I stole it from the post office. I think i am going to use it on a tool cabinet in the shop.

lol you bring it to my house its yours but seriously man thats awesome jeep wish i could find one around here id build one also..keep it up and you'll be done in no time
How ironic. There's a Postal vehicle in the background.

Coming right along. I still have the door off that thing. My neighbor was wanting to know where it came from. I told him I stole it from the post office. I think i am going to use it on a tool cabinet in the shop.

thanks! i'm glad to see the doors are coming to some use.

i fixed the passenger (left side) rear fender today.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1954.jpg

driver side shot.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1963.jpg

passenger side shot.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1962.jpg

i got the dash painted today oo. i still have to work on the area where the windshield wipers are.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1958.jpg

another.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1959.jpg

random shot.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1960.jpg

trying to see what you guys think about this. i photoshopped a side and back view of body armor i'm planning on building. i think i like it and i'm planning on fabricating it this weekend. it will be one piece that wraps the sides, lower back (tramp stamp area) and up thru the light mounts. what do you think?

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_chad_jeep_8_10_back2.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_chad_jeep_8_10_back_1.jpg

#3 (circle shape matches the same shape as the top lights.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_chad_jeep_8_10_back.jpg

side.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_chad_jeep_8_10_side.jpg

How thick is the plate steal? And how do you plan on rolling it/ shaping it around the radius corners??? I to am building body armor for my cj5 this week and I still haven't decided on the best way to shape the plate steel to the radius corners....

i'm using 11ga (= 1/8"). i used 1/8" on the rocksliders because it's much easier to work with and it was cheaper (since this is a budget build). 3/16" is nearly impossible to work with. If i had a torch i'd just heat it to form the radius (i'm not worried about hurting the paint below because it's garbage anyways and will get a full paint job when this project is done).

MY PLAN: cutting the front sides to their shape around the door opening, then drilling and bolting them up all the way up the the side where the radius begins, then use a cut off wheel and do filet cuts every 1/2" or less all the way along the radius, then bend the metal, drill the mounting holes for the body and bolt it in. then i'll weld the filet cuts back closed and sand the welds smooth then for the back portion, i'll weld the pieces on both sides that go up around the lights and along the bottom (tramp stamp below the door) , sand the welds smooth and paint the whole piece. it's ALOT of work for the difference it will have but it'll look cool i guess. :)

1/8" is def. Alot easier to work with than 1/4" or 3/16".... I picked up my steal yesterday, 1/4", had it sheered to the Ruff dimensions and ill use my plasma cutter to cut out the shape around the doors... the rear corners are a concern for me.. im contemplating getting a torch assembly, heating it up and bending it around the corner, bolting it to the body and then quenching it with water... but a good torch assembly ain't cheep.... my buddy is trying to talk me into squaring the corners, and building a rear exo cage with gas can mounts to hide the squared corners... On a side note, you've heard it before, but I Realy never thought a dj-5 could look cool...I stand corrected... good work so far,

Definitely do it! Just take alot of pics and describe the process for us novice viewers.

I have seen people use a telephone pole to bend the corners before. Seems to match the radius corner of a jeep body perfect.

let my next mini project begin: rear corner armor.

lots to do to make this look good.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1966.jpg

front side cut to the shape and my first rough cut of the wheel opening. i still have to open the rear wheelwell quite a bit but i'll get it there.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1964.jpg

top holes drilled. still a lot to do but that is all for tonight.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1965.jpg

Definitely do it! Just take alot of pics and describe the process for us novice viewers.

i'm a picture junkie. you know i'll take a million pictures. that's why i had to get unlimited bandwidth photobucket account. hahaha!

I picked up my steal yesterday, 1/4"...On a side note, you've heard it before, but I Realy never thought a dj-5 could look cool...I stand corrected... good work so far,

i couldn't imagine trying to work with 1/4" steel for the corners. you're a brave man! i bet you'll make it look good tho. the square corners sounds like a cool idea on your cj/tj build.

thanks man. i'm so happy with this thing so far. i still can't believe everyone doesn't think i'm crazy for building a postal jeep. i'm ready to go drive this thing already. :driver:

I have seen people use a telephone pole to bend the corners before. Seems to match the radius corner of a jeep body perfect.

very good idea. i even have one right at the corner of my house too. i might try that if my first idea doesn't work.

i got my first corner wheel opening pretty close to how i want it. i had to stop early tonight 'cause of the friggin' rain. sucks working in your driveway.

you can see in the pics where the black sharpie line shows where the bottom will be cut off.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1967.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1968.jpg

Back