02 TJ death wobble, 08 Superduty swap...wth steering box woes?idk

I’ve had my sd60 swap 90mph down the road and zero wobble. But imm also pulling it with my worn out 2006 Cummins with 330k miles
yeah I've got customers with these swaps who can run 90mph with 40s down the road no issues but this is just making me feel dumb and angry at the same time lol. like I'm over it already, tomorrow morning I'll be finishing up the Red Head box and hydro assist and will be test driving I guess the way it is.

The SD 60 has 7* of separation. At 7* caster measured on top of the C the pinion will be at 0*. I don’t know why he told you to measure it at the tie rod hole. 8.8* seems a little bit too much to me. I’d adjust it to 6-7* and see how it acts.

I've had some loose steering boxes and never gotten death wobble, but everything else was also in spec.

@marty79 The flat around the tie rod hole and the top of the steering knuckle aren't parallel. Either measure on the top of the knuckle or the inner C. The tie rod holes are tilted forward some. Probably because the right side one is also connected to the drag link in a factory style setup.

Either measure on the top of the knuckle or the inner C
well then the Inner C is at 8.8 right on that flat spot next to where factory spring mounts.
Well steering box is on and hydro assist is on and got it all buttoned up, warrantied one of the new tie rod that had tiny play...a friend was here today who also has a Lifted TJ on 37s that I built for him and guess what...I said you go drive this thing since you know TJs better than I do and you're used to how they drive and feel.
So he goes down my road (pretty rough road) and coming back had it pegged probably hit 70 as he passed my house with a big grin on his face...turned around and done it again, pulled in said "nothing wrong with this jeep now". He was having way too much fun with that Gen 5 in there...so i said fine, good, take it out on the main road and go drive it...Drove good. Then he came back, picked me up, let him drive it again and we went cruising...I swear he's driving this thing with his finger and I'm over here buckled in "LOOKING" for death wobble to happen LOL (funny not funny). Every little or big bump we hit, I'm like "aha you feel that" .....he says "dude your paranoid as hell, chill out there ain't nothing wrong, I got one finger on the wheel"...I guess the 2 times it death wobbled on me so bad and scared me to death I was being a wuss and just paranoid as crap but it felt solid when I actually stopped and chilled out and paid attention to how good it actually rode.
If anything, I "personally" believe what hair shim...sham...shuwee I feel in it is probably the radius arm bushings doing what they do and he agreed but other than that it was driving good, to him driving great.

I'm sure you can get to the point where you have too much caster. That would make it want to flop side to side. I'm not sure where that point is though.

well then the Inner C is at 8.8 right on that flat spot next to where factory spring mounts.
Well steering box is on and hydro assist is on and got it all buttoned up, warrantied one of the new tie rod that had tiny play...a friend was here today who also has a Lifted TJ on 37s that I built for him and guess what...I said you go drive this thing since you know TJs better than I do and you're used to how they drive and feel.
So he goes down my road (pretty rough road) and coming back had it pegged probably hit 70 as he passed my house with a big grin on his face...turned around and done it again, pulled in said "nothing wrong with this jeep now". He was having way too much fun with that Gen 5 in there...so i said fine, good, take it out on the main road and go drive it...Drove good. Then he came back, picked me up, let him drive it again and we went cruising...I swear he's driving this thing with his finger and I'm over here buckled in "LOOKING" for death wobble to happen LOL (funny not funny). Every little or big bump we hit, I'm like "aha you feel that" .....he says "dude your paranoid as hell, chill out there ain't nothing wrong, I got one finger on the wheel"...I guess the 2 times it death wobbled on me so bad and scared me to death I was being a wuss and just paranoid as crap but it felt solid when I actually stopped and chilled out and paid attention to how good it actually rode.
If anything, I "personally" believe what hair shim...sham...shuwee I feel in it is probably the radius arm bushings doing what they do and he agreed but other than that it was driving good, to him driving great.
Positive or negative caster?

I'm sure you can get to the point where you have too much caster. That would make it want to flop side to side. I'm not sure where that point is though.
I'm not sure either, the superduty forum guys say anything from 6-8 is good? so I'm not sure, others say 4-6 is ideal. as anything there's always different opinions of what works for one might not work for everyone else.

Kind of hard to tell from the picture but I believe wheel width and backspacing has an effect. If the majority of the tire contact patch is outside of the kingpin angle then the steering could not be balanced i.e. wandering.

Just go fool hydro

Customer picked it up this morning at 10am, I drove it to run some errands for about an hour since Sunday mornings are open roads and it drove pretty good, I finally had the balls to drive it and stop being a sissy lol...I was still looking for something but nothing occured...I hit overpasses hard as I could and nothing but what I thought was a very slight "shimy". He came, went drove it around, came back loaded his 5x8 trailer that he brought tires and axles in, left back to Asheville.
Called me when he got home talking about "bro, I did 90mph in this thing with that trailer (made the rear sag some) and it's tight as I've ever had it in a very long time. He's had this 02 TJ since it was new btw. Says he was passing every car and truck climbing the mountain to Asheville just ballin that Gen5. I've not seen or heard him that happy since I finished his Gen 5 1.5yrs ago.

On another note, still swort of on topic, how do you keep the 2x8 ram and make it a "little" easier? He didn't mind it, on the highway he says he loves it (which I did too) but yeah we both agree in a parking lot slow maneuvers are a little annoying so not a big deal but is there a "affordable" way to do something to speed up these big rams just a little? thanks, and thank you for those whose given input to try and figure this whole mess out

On another note, still swort of on topic, how do you keep the 2x8 ram and make it a "little" easier? He didn't mind it, on the highway he says he loves it (which I did too) but yeah we both agree in a parking lot slow maneuvers are a little annoying so not a big deal but is there a "affordable" way to do something to speed up these big rams just a little? thanks, and thank you for those whose given input to try and figure this whole mess out
Only way to improve the speed is to increase the flow. This means a higher flowing pump, and bigger lines, and probably bigger fittings. I had issues with the 1.5" ram on mine when turning quickly one direction, then trying to quickly turn back the other direction.

Only way to improve the speed is to increase the flow. This means a higher flowing pump, and bigger lines, and probably bigger fittings. I had issues with the 1.5" ram on mine when turning quickly one direction, then trying to quickly turn back the other direction.

I think the main limitation is going to end up being the ports/passages in the box. You can upsize everything else, but the passages through the box/servo are going to remain small

I think the main limitation is going to end up being the ports/passages in the box. You can upsize everything else, but the passages through the box/servo are going to remain small
Excellent point. The issues I had were with a 1.5" ram and a PSC box. I imagine a stocker is probably worse.

PSC says 1.5x8 ram for that application

Back