Your Favorite Spicy Foods

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
For some reason beyond my understanding I have been getting into Hot Sauces and cooking with them. Rationale says pain/burning is bad, but for some reason the flavor/experience is worth it. So far I have only gotten into the 50k range on the Scoville scale (SHU). The hottest sauce I have tried being Dave's Insanity Sauce (some rate it above 100k but I don't know). There is a local place called "The Hot Sauce Shop", that I ordered some new sauces off of:

Mad Dog 357 - 357k SHU
Black Mamba - 1.5-2mil SHU
Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper Naja Jolokia Sauce - 650k SHU

I am aware that is a big jump from 50k, but I look forward to testing them out. Do you have any favorites? My flavor favorite so far is "Pain is Good, Garlic Style Micro Batch".

I am thinking chili might be a regular dish at my house agian, but my favorite thing to add it to so far are chicken burritos. And for those not familiar with all this, here is the Scoville scale:

awww.uncommondescent.com_images_pepper_scale.jpg

Don't know the SHU rating, but I have eaten the insanity wing from east coast wings, 1 tear down each eye, but otherwise enjoyed it. Have had the hottest wings from alot of places in the state and never come across one that was just too hot to eat.

Generally anything cajun, I enjoy also...

We had a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce and need to get some more! We'd put a dollop on top of homemade burgers (make a little indent) before they went on the grill... it would thin some with the heat and cover the top, then get seared in when we flipped them over.

I grow Poblano, Jalapeno and Cayenne peppers and cook with them regularly... mix some in with just about anything from stir-fry to tacos, chili and even in spaghetti sauce. ;)

We had a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce and need to get some more! We'd put a dollop on top of homemade burgers (make a little indent) before they went on the grill... it would thin some with the heat and cover the top, then get seared in when we flipped them over.

I grow Poblano, Jalapeno and Cayenne peppers and cook with them regularly... mix some in with just about anything from stir-fry to tacos, chili and even in spaghetti sauce. ;)
I've got about ten Jalepeno plants hanging full and have no idea what to do w/ them you got any recipies?

My dad grows habaneros. They are up to 350K SHU. I took some to work for a lady that "loves hot peppers." She cut them up w/o wearing gloves, washed her hands like normal, TOOK HER CONTACTS OUT, and went to bed. The next morning, one of her contacts had her finger print etched into it. The pepper oil!!

Be careful playing with those ultra hot sauces. The pepper oil will stay on your skin even after washing your hands. Then there are other more sensitive areas you might touch throughout the day...

If you have that many, one of the best is to make jalapeno poppers out of them!

25 or 30 peppers, 1 package of cream cheese and 1 pound of bacon

Slice in half & scoop out all the seeds (wear gloves, trust me you don't want all the oil in your skin and burning you up to your elbows for the next two days!)
Spread with softened cream cheese
Wrap about a third of a piece of bacon around each one and secure with a toothpick.
Place on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet (so the bacon grease has somewhere to go)
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or so, until the bacon starts to crisp up.

I've made this for football tailgates or the Super Bowl party and I could have easily made twice as many, the way they were gobbled up.

I've got my tomato sauce recipe somewhere with the ratios, so I'll look for that to post.

Oh man...I love hot and spicy stuff as well. I usually hit 100k SKU for regular use and so it's still enjoyable and I'm not sweating or tears running down my face...but I've always been game for anything. Just an FYI, if you're testing sauces or playing with spicy things, be sure to thoroughly wash your hands before taking a piss...learned that the hard way.

Oh man...I love hot and spicy stuff as well. I usually hit 100k SKU for regular use and so it's still enjoyable and I'm not sweating or tears running down my face...but I've always been game for anything. Just an FYI, if you're testing sauces or playing with spicy things, be sure to thoroughly wash your hands before taking a piss...learned that the hard way.

i once cut a couple of dozen habenaro's for some barbaque sauce and tried to get frisky with the wife, needless to say having a little burn on the pecker was nothing compared to what she went through.

Love hot food and hot sauces. but I don't get insanely hot with mine. I like the flavor, but I want to be able to taste my food. I've got no use for macho hot pepper/sauce eating contests.

as for the scale posted above, is that eating any of those items straight? If so, then I enjoy about an 8-10K. But if you're talking about those as ingredients in food, then I'd push it up to about 50K-100K range. but eating a Habanero straight? F-that!

I held and look at a bottle of Daves Insanity sauce one time. set the bottle down and later just happened to wipe my eye. I thought I was gonna go blind!

Speaking of peppers, I was given a bag of home grown red jalapenos, and cayenne peppers. What can i do with them? jalapeno poppers are great, but im looking for something different.

Thinking about this makes me want to have the next meet and greet at east coast wings, see how many members are willing to eat the insanity wing, and the reactions. When I did it we had put together a group of about 20 people, before we got there 12 people were gonna eat it, once we got there, 7 people actually ordered it, only 4 of us actually ate it.

Any of you guys had it?
I was told they inject the wing with some sort of retarded heat, then use a sauce with the same heat added to it. They make you sign a waiver because they can apparently cause stomach damage.

Speaking of peppers, I was given a bag of home grown red jalapenos, and cayenne peppers. What can i do with them? jalapeno poppers are great, but im looking for something different.

I love them, so I tend to put them in/on everything when they're fresh... any variation on tex-mex or caribbean food or even stir-fry that you can think of, you can add some hot pepper and bring it to life.

In my tomato sauce I generally use 1 jalapeno and 1 cayenne for 2-3 cups of sauce, but you could go way spicier... the Italian grocery that used to be around the corner sold it as 'Sicilian' style or something. Homemade guacamole, with lime juice, fresh-chopped jalapeno, onion, tomatoes and avocados... cilantro if you have it fresh. I also made some kick-ass cantaloupe salsa, recently, to go with some fish...

Thinking about this makes me want to have the next meet and greet at east coast wings, see how many members are willing to eat the insanity wing, and the reactions. When I did it we had put together a group of about 20 people, before we got there 12 people were gonna eat it, once we got there, 7 people actually ordered it, only 4 of us actually ate it.

Any of you guys had it?
I was told they inject the wing with some sort of retarded heat, then use a sauce with the same heat added to it. They make you sign a waiver because they can apparently cause stomach damage.

To be honest I'm not a real fan of ECW. Every time I've ever went there, my wings are always dry and minimal sauce. I'll stick with my Christo's Beyond Hot wings.

We go to Bada Wings here in Raleigh, over at Mission Valley. I haven't sampled their full range, but they have some good ones and a good :beer: selection, too.

Any of you guys had it?
I'm a light weight compared to some, 30-50k SHU when cooked in food, but there is a place at the NC State Fair that has Wings that the mild is too hot for me. My father-in-law loves spicy things and he got medium to share with my mother-in-law and we were all looking for the buttered corn kiosk to dull the pain.:lol:

To be honest I'm not a real fan of ECW. Every time I've ever went there, my wings are always dry and minimal sauce. I'll stick with my Christo's Beyond Hot wings.

Never had Christos, lately I have had that problem with ECW, don't understand why. Used to go up there every monday for the 45 cent wings, always got wings covered in sauce, and juicy, lately I been ordering the boneless wings, they come dry and unsauced. Been going to Buffalo Wings and Rings lately, have no complaints other than a lack of options.

We go to Bada Wings here in Raleigh, over at Mission Valley. I haven't sampled their full range, but they have some good ones and a good :beer: selection, too.

Never been there either, but I am always up for wings and a cold one. The selection is my favorite thing about East Coast, they have 75 flavors and 12 heat levels (off the top of my head)

Do you have a good recipe for pepper jelly? I love that stuff!

When I was in southeast asia a few years ago, they put these tiny hot peppers in everything. We called them "insanity peppers" and quickly learned to limit our intake to 1 or 2 per day. I've had several different kinds of peppers... habaneros and the like. Nothing burned me up like these little things. I think they're some kind of thai bird's eye pepper. Havent seen them in the states but wish I could find some.

For home use... I like Allegro Spicy Marinade. I think its vinegar based, and packed with red pepper. I marinate chicken in it over night... then baste with it while cooking on the grill. Theyve changed the label recently. It's not orange anymore... but still the same stuff.

If I go out for spicy stuff, I prefer the Spicy Garlic sauce at Buffalo Wild Wings or the 3 Mile Island at Hooters.

As far as growing peppers the only home grown ones I have encountered are the Carolina Cayenne Chili Pepper. I had no clue what they were but I was bet $20 I couldn't eat half of one. I was a lot younger, and stupid so I took the bet. Turns out that pepper is in the 100k-125k SHU range. I sat in the bathroom for a half hour with a gallon of water. Of course at that time I didn't know water was the worst thing to take, should of had milk. I was maybe 13 at the time, was my first introduction to extra hot foods.

I first tried El Yucateco green habanero hot sauce when I was a kid at a mexican resturant in Winston. to this day still my favorite. back then you could only get it at that resturant or at the little mexican grocery store in kville. but now you can buy it in about any grocery store.
the insanity wing at ECW is ok, kinda pricy for just wing tho, IMO.

Back