Y'all meet Clyde.

WARRIORWELDING

Owner opperator Of WarriorWelding LLC.
New to me work truck. First one owned by Warrior Welding LLC.
IMG_20220912_162133854_HDR.jpg

I will be doin some improvements and maintenance over time. Yeah it's 2wd, but dreams are to make it 4wd. We will see but first things first. Get it ready to help make some money.

By the first pick you can tell Clyde has some skin issues. The truck was sprayed in bed liner on the work surface at some point. By the raw sandblasted metal underneath I'd say when it was new or refurbed. Any and all areas that had nicks or cuts and the like show rust. Hidden under was substantial pockets holding moisture.

Plans are to remove 99 percent of the liner and prep for some rusty metal primer and some left over black from another project. This is first priority because knowing me I'll go to using it and bolt tooling down and never do this step. I need Clyde to last so were gonna do all we can to slow down the metal cancer. Plus he's not to charming to look at.

Sweet rig!

If you go 4wd, go ahead and skip the leaf spring stuff and bolt up the coil spring parts. Honestly, they're just as easy to find and not pricey. It'll definitely turn sharper and ride pretty damn good!

Although...it does already have the leaf springs and really all you'd have to do is bolt the axle under it. Hmm...

I forget who did the ambulance swap, but it's pretty straightforward.

Oh, and make sure all the spark plugs are tight. It should last you a long time!

I just noticed the crane. That's gunna be sweeeeet! How far out will it reach?

IMG_20220912_162153016_HDR.jpg

It's not terrible considering I bet some of these pockets held unknown chemicals. I got all of the floor and almost all the headboard stripped. In the flats a oscillating cutting tool was the ticket.
Stopped after a good bit at it and my hand and fingers where all tingly.

Was the most oddly satisfying thing I've done in a while with clothes on, :p

I just noticed the crane. That's gunna be sweeeeet! How far out will it reach?
Not entirely sure but it is the number one reason I bought it. Just after it being a gasser.
The crane is 5k rated and hydraulic. Power is via a PTO on the manual transmission. Also the third reason in line for buying it.

It's got that pedal anti theft thing going for it.

Looking to purchase a spare wheel, maybe two. Serious about the wheel read further for entertainment or boring details.

Little back story:

The night I looked at Clyde he was sitting out in the fellas drive over to the side like an unloved bastard. It was night since the truck was a ways off and I worked all day. The add was enough to get my interest but seeing him sitting all by himself I got all mushy.

Clyde has all the right stuff to provide some muscle and work hard, seems he had done his fair share but was in need of some love.

Real story is he was traded between friends and Clyde was to much truck and to little storage for the fellas needs.

Crawling all over under through I spotted most of Clyde's immediate needs. The odometer was at 159k the body, frame, and drivetrain was a bit better than expected. Dry, tight, and rust free. No signs of major collision damage but just dirty and a bit rough around the edges.

Test drive proved he was all work and zero frills.

Last edited:
Upon getting Clyde out to the highway I had noted a badly worn seat. Sitting on the outside metal frame I thought Clyde was being friendly! Nope just a Spring sticking me in the Hindquarters.

Roll up window, vinyl floor. Dang it sure is hot lets get the AC going.......wait. What......huh! Well Clyde has no frills what so ever. NO AC!

By this point I'm merrily scooting down the road at 60 noticed the lights are not so fantastic but thehttps://nc4x4.com/forum/threads/i-got-bad-vibes-man.190746/page-6#post-1920976 thread has nothin on Clyde.

This fella feels like a block of oak has been whittled into a semi round object mounted in place of a tire. Going through my check list of rpm, speed,.....ah shit. Its just constant! Last time I felt this was a bias swamper that sat for weeks.

But it was already circumstantial and this fella was bouncing me down a direction Of Love At First Sight. Time to turn around and talk dollars. I was musing over no AC and thinking what a bastard. Clyde didn't like that much and responded with a resounding boom.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 450-550 club. 👍

Check the tire pressure. Probably set near the max around 120psi. You really don't need that much unless you are approaching max weight on the tire.

Crane is badass. I came here hoping to sell you the 2k rated little crane I have, haha.

I have a 19.5x6, 10x225 aluminum wheel you can have. It has a spot on the inside that needs to be welded up (if you know anyone that can weld aluminum ;)). But I also advise against it because if you do that, you will want 3 more :D

Welcome to the 450-550 club. 👍

Check the tire pressure. Probably set near the max around 120psi. You really don't need that much unless you are approaching max weight on the tire.

Crane is badass. I came here hoping to sell you the 2k rated little crane I have, haha.

I have a 19.5x6, 10x225 aluminum wheel you can have. It has a spot on the inside that needs to be welded up (if you know anyone that can weld aluminum ;)). But I also advise against it because if you do that, you will want 3 more :D
Really appreciate the offer but I'm gonna shy away from aluminum.....just like you said I'll want them all to match. Clyde likes his laces tight and his boots all one brand. More on the "Boom" to come.

Really appreciate the offer but I'm gonna shy away from aluminum.....just like you said I'll want them all to match. Clyde likes his laces tight and his boots all one brand. More on the "Boom" to come.
Well then, if you fix the aluminum one for me, I'll get the steel one back that I gave a to a buddy and give it to you, haha.

Well then, if you fix the aluminum one for me, I'll get the steel one back that I gave a to a buddy and give it to you, haha.
Could be a plan!

I have a 19.5x6, 10x225 aluminum wheel you can have.
The bad thing about the 99-04 F450 F550 trucks are the bolt pattern. 8x225. Kinda an odd bastard bolt pattern that nothing matches.

X2. When I first messed with mine I cranked the pressure up like you would a 10 ply. Big mistake. Now I go by the door rating. I think its 85 front and 90 rear? I cant remember but I just go by the door. These wheels also suck for checking the inner wheels pressure. The valve stems are at a really weird angle that makes is stupid hard to check and fill. I keep wanting to pick up a set of the braded valve stem extenders but never think about it till time to check the air pressure.

I dig it. Just info but the 7.3 Godzilla will bolt up to that manual. IDK the clutch and pressure plate details but it will mate. Godzilla has the mod motor bell-housing pattern.
Another small detail I looked at was motor replacement. The reason I didn't go oil burner was two fold. The inflated cost of all the market just doesn't register with me. The other factor is cost of maintenance and parts for Diesel engines.

Turns out a long block replacement in this V10 isn't what I call cheap but not exuberant. Even though it's a modern modular design actually opening the hood and spotting some of a valve cover is comforting.

The bad thing about the 99-04 F450 F550 trucks are the bolt pattern. 8x225. Kinda an odd bastard bolt pattern that nothing matches.

05+ axle swap :D A lot of times they're cheap because there's not as much demand. Most wheelers don't want them super wide, 10 lug axles.

These wheels also suck for checking the inner wheels pressure. The valve stems are at a really weird angle that makes is stupid hard to check and fill. I keep wanting to pick up a set of the braded valve stem extenders but never think about it till time to check the air pressure.

The braided hoses and short valce stems OR the next time you get tires, pretty much any commercial tire joint keeps a bunch of the long, brass valve stems on hand. They can bend the inside where it'll stick out through the hand hole of the outer rim. Generally 180° from your outer rim's valve stem if they bolt them up correctly. Let's be honest, most people don't rotate the tires on their 450/550 anyway 😅

Ooooohh.... 4x4 converted mobile welding rig? I hope that's your plans. Have you got a welder/gen to mount on it already?

Ooooohh.... 4x4 converted mobile welding rig? I hope that's your plans. Have you got a welder/gen to mount on it already?
Yes, Tired of pulling it behind me on a trailer that requires me to load and unload a lot of everything else on and off my Dodge.

Well the "Boom". Fella who owned the truck looked at me like I done shot his best horse! He thought we bottomed out turning off the highway. Granted it was a good bit rough and sloped but I done had my NC4x4 arm chair quarter back activated.

We came in diagonal to the elevation plane current with the geography of the landing zone. Science of terrible-ferma.

We both jumped out he's worried about the hitch and I'm driving under the truck.

Yep blown tire! Not just flat but eruption like @CasterTroy on a taco benge. Or what was that in that disastrous RV experience? (Btw if y'all haven't read that you haven't cried and laughed so hard for a fella in a long time)

So I want Clyde but he's fairly certain to have a personality and don't like name calling. Blown tire.....or neglect?

Turns out age. The tire had a date code around Clyde's birthday. 20 something 19.5's are brittle :confused:.

So the problem was two brand hammer new tires on the front and 4 who weren't no way shape or form gonna get me 210 minutes down the highway.

Last edited:
We shook hands and agreed I was his feller.
He took me at my word and I left no deposit.
A hand shake is all Clyde needed for a new family.
Getting back I researched and found out you could change these guys without a machine, lol! We'll I considered taking a jack my compressor and some tars......gotta find tars.

Phone call latter I had some sense talked into me and a bargain to boot.I called a friend who owns a tire shop. Was asking what brands work best in these trucks....never owned a 19.5 boot and wasn't to familiar.

He starts rattling off tires and before I could be clear I didn't have the truck and a 290 minute trip one way after a 60 minute trip to him wasn't in the plan....and someone down yonder way was gonna have to install.

So I listened about the size, brand, and how they rode all the way to the end when he said 50 each!

Wait. What? Could you repeat that, I was....well not listening.

Yeah fella so in so ran these they are 60 plus percent I'll take 50 each and I got 6. I didn't stutter or hesitate: On my way! Man good friends are hard to beat.

Tinkering on Clyde today. I was listening to:
Screenshot_20220914-114539.png

Cultured man that I am.

I also discovered that Clyde's precious companions were also...
IMG_20220914_113633515_HDR.jpg

Which led to another discovery.

The PTO throttle is about as accurate as using a hatchet to carve a turkey. So some work was in order.

The route of said cable was like getting to you favorite back woods campsite on the New River. Not straight.
So after some tinkering I gutted this.
IMG_20220914_120312866.jpg

No amount of slickum was gonna make this unit slide smoothly.

The previous discovery now made sense. Not only was the previous fellers cultured but they where men of technology.
IMG_20220914_112423264.jpg
So I advanced the tech and moved forward for now.
IMG_20220914_120856669.jpg

Clyde has become full of small surprises. All this tech led to another object of questionable advancement. I personally gotta research this one because it's well above my development at this stage. Clyde I have to say your doin a lot of giving.

Back