Xtra Jeep Build Thread

Maybe there's some chemistry geeks who can look at these ingredient lists and chime in?
Krylon
1708550811955.png

Rustoleum

1708550827504.png

Finally got it up on the lift and got a chance to really check the underside out. Gotta say after the disappointing passenger floorboard, it was refreshing to not find anything unexpected on the bottom side.
View attachment 412766View attachment 412767View attachment 412768View attachment 412769View attachment 412770View attachment 412771View attachment 412772View attachment 412773View attachment 412774

Also figured out why the left rear was sagging more
View attachment 412776
I still need that spring pack. Even if it’s broken! :D

Changed the oil tonight, and got the floor pan derusted to the best of my patience (which was about 5 minutes :laughing: ) and painted.
IMG_2420.jpeg
IMG_2423.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

There’s one spot on the right side of the front floor that busted through with heavy wire brushing, but it’s only about an inch wide and everything else is pretty solid, so I’ll probably just drill it out and put another drain plug there :D

i will say that if you want to block heat the stick on butyl stuff is only marginal in helping. Its aluminum backer so it heats up too. Use dei boom mat light or something similar. The trans tunnel on xjs get super hot and i felt no difference covering my floor with the stick on stuff. The dei boom mat made a huge difference

i will say that if you want to block heat the stick on butyl stuff is only marginal in helping. Its aluminum backer so it heats up too. Use dei boom mat light or something similar. The trans tunnel on xjs get super hot and i felt no difference covering my floor with the stick on stuff. The dei boom mat made a huge difference

Attachments

• 71347981273__396C738C-76AA-4012-ADF2-7F1E0F4E8D58.jpeg
    71347981273__396C738C-76AA-4012-ADF2-7F1E0F4E8D58.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5332.jpeg
    IMG_5332.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 40
See, some people are classy

Some people are assy

And nah, makes me too far away from the pedals :flipoff2:
If the WJ seats are too tall you can bolt the xj seat brackets to the WJ and if the seats are powered/heated you can get two Pass side WJ seat harnesses and trim them to just work on 12v inputs. That's what I did on mine

Tonight was a new valve cover gasket, oil change, and a little touch up painting in the engine bay.
IMG_2437.jpeg
IMG_2438.jpeg
IMG_2440.jpeg

Conveniently I had the gasket laying around from something in the past, the oil filter a buddy gave me, and I had 6qts of 10w40 my old boss gave me when he moved away. Free fiddy! :D

Uhhhh. The checks in the mail :D
Better redirect it to my house! Jody told me it was a non-paying customer's and he was ready to get it out of the way as quickly as possible. Being a nice guy, I said to give em at least a week. But if I had known it was yours, I would have got it sooner! :flipoff2:

Better redirect it to my house! Jody told me it was a non-paying customer's and he was ready to get it out of the way as quickly as possible. Being a nice guy, I said to give em at least a week. But if I had known it was yours, I would have got it sooner! :flipoff2:
Wait till he sees the storage and transport cost for those mill pieces you sold him

Wow….unibody jeeps bring out the worst in ppl. Hopefully your wife lets you keep the garage in the divorce. How many Busch lattes have you had this morning?

Wow….unibody jeeps bring out the worst in ppl. Hopefully your wife lets you keep the garage in the divorce. How many Busch lattes have you had this morning?
Budlight FTW (for the weiner)

Finally got all the carpet out. Gonna just order new carpet since it’s only $265 from Rockauto for the premolded color correct full set. Back floor looks great.
View attachment 412754

Drivers side looks great
View attachment 412755

Passenger side looks just great…
View attachment 412756

Oh well, can’t all be dreams and rainbows. I bet this means it needs a heater core too, and would explain the “steam” from the vents the other day…
View attachment 412758

I’m pretty sure there’s enough metal left to wire brush it and put a fresh coat of paint on. And the heater core will certainly be easier with the seats and console already out. We will see!
While it’s exposed, cut an access door with hinges for a fuel pump replacement if you ever need to do it. Just cover it with the new carpet and nobody will know.

Started pulling the axles tonight.
IMG_2452.jpeg

Getting the ebrake cables loose required disassembling the drum brakes, which was just annoying. But the biggest challenge has been getting the leaf spring and shackle mount bolts out. Fortunately they are all moving and not seized or broken. The front ones are finally to the point they will spin out with the big M18 impact. The rears don’t have enough access and are still too tight anyway. But doing 1/6th of a turn at a time with a 30” breaker bar fighting it snapping and releasing the whole way SUCKS.

I also spent a little bit of time tonight working on the dent where the front fender meets the driver door. I didn’t get a good “before” pic but you can see it here:
1708749042539.png

IMG_2447.jpeg
IMG_2449.jpeg

I’m super pleased with how it came out with just a little bit of amateur effort. :D

Picked up another piece of the puzzle this morning.
IMG_2462.jpeg

The rears don’t have enough access and are still too tight anyway. But doing 1/6th of a turn at a time with a 30” breaker bar fighting it snapping and releasing the whole way SUCKS.

Geez teaching y’all TJ owners how to work on an XJ is like watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a door knob :D

Don’t forget to put a Rough Country sticker on the front windshield before you’re done :flipoff2:

Got the 3.07 geared D30/D35 out today.
IMG_2463.jpeg

Let her hang out naked for a bit :D
IMG_2465.jpeg

Then got the 3.55 geared D30/8.25 hung with the 2.5” springs and shocks. Put new shackles on the rear too since they were new in a box in the box the jeep when I bought it.

IMG_2468.jpeg

I also wire brushed any rust spots on the underbody
IMG_2464.jpeg

And put a coat of Rust Reformer on everything.
IMG_2466.jpeg

I also recoated the rubberized undercoating since I had 2 spray cans sitting on the shelf.
IMG_2467.jpeg

Got the wheels cleaned up.
IMG_2471.jpeg

Looks like original paint in darn near perfect condition :D
IMG_2472.jpeg

Finished getting the axles in this evening. Still need to button up a few things, but it’s back on its own feet.
IMG_2477.jpeg
IMG_2478.jpeg

I managed to accomplish something I’ve never done. Maybe it’s a big deal, maybe not. I got the old ebrake cables off and new ones on, without disassembling the brakes.
IMG_2474.jpeg
IMG_2476.jpeg

(I did pull the retaining pin on one side so I could reach behind to get the cable on.)

The next thing to sort out is the rear looks like it’s sitting a good 2-3” higher than the front. :rolleyes:

Got the 3.07 geared D30/D35 out today.
I had a 2 door 5 speed xj with 3.07 gears and it got the best fuel mileage of any 4.0 I've ever had. It would regularly get 19mpg and I broke 20mpg several times. For reference I've got a 2wd auto 4.0 zj that has never gotten better than 16mpg and the wifes 4wd auto 4.0 wj gets 14.5mpg.

I had a 2 door 5 speed xj with 3.07 gears and it got the best fuel mileage of any 4.0 I've ever had. It would regularly get 19mpg and I broke 20mpg several times. For reference I've got a 2wd auto 4.0 zj that has never gotten better than 16mpg and the wifes 4wd auto 4.0 wj gets 14.5mpg.
I believe it! When my TJ was bone stock on 215s or 225s with 3.07 gears I drove it to the beach and got north of 20mpg (I think it was 23mpg, but that was nearly 24 years ago, haha). If I were sticking with stock tires, I'd probably keep the 3.07s. It wasn't "underpowered" with them, but wouldn't hurt to have more. I figure 3.55's with 30-31's should be about perfect.

Back