Xtra Jeep Build Thread

@toyota1 hooked me up with the axles and is gonna hook me up with a shackle relocation kit as well :D

Gas tank skid is a must. WJ front seats will bolt in to the factory mounts and are hella comfy.
That is great to know. Might have to find me a pair of those.

Finally got all the carpet out. Gonna just order new carpet since it’s only $265 from Rockauto for the premolded color correct full set. Back floor looks great.
IMG_2401.jpeg

Drivers side looks great
IMG_2400.jpeg

Passenger side looks just great…
IMG_2399.jpeg

Oh well, can’t all be dreams and rainbows. I bet this means it needs a heater core too, and would explain the “steam” from the vents the other day…
1708484027046.png

I’m pretty sure there’s enough metal left to wire brush it and put a fresh coat of paint on. And the heater core will certainly be easier with the seats and console already out. We will see!

Last edited:
Finally got it up on the lift and got a chance to really check the underside out. Gotta say after the disappointing passenger floorboard, it was refreshing to not find anything unexpected on the bottom side.
IMG_2403.jpeg
IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_2405.jpeg
IMG_2406.jpeg
IMG_2407.jpeg
IMG_2408.jpeg
IMG_2410.jpeg
IMG_2411.jpeg
IMG_2412.jpeg

Also figured out why the left rear was sagging more
IMG_2413.jpeg

The WJ seats would be perfect for Matt. They are a couple inches taller than stock. I tried a set and looked like Bowser from Mario Cart driving an xj.
He’s still gonna sit on a pillow

See, some people are classy
The WJ seats would be perfect for Matt. They are a couple inches taller than stock. I tried a set and looked like Bowser from Mario Cart driving an xj.
Some people are assy
He’s still gonna sit on a pillow
And nah, makes me too far away from the pedals :flipoff2:

You gonna dynamat or something while you have it apart?
I dunno. Maybe? Like I said earlier...
Anything else I should do while I have the interior stripped down?
What are the pros and cons, and how much prep does it take and how much does it cost? I'm not building the bass-master 5000 (like the sound, not the fish), and I can't imagine 99 Cherokees have high dolla acoustic glass or well sealing doors, so I don't know if its worth the trouble or not.

I dunno. Maybe? Like I said earlier...

What are the pros and cons, and how much prep does it take and how much does it cost? I'm not building the bass-master 5000 (like the sound, not the fish), and I can't imagine 99 Cherokees have high dolla acoustic glass or well sealing doors, so I don't know if its worth the trouble or not.

I have used the cheap Amazon stuff. Covering the trans tunnel and parts of the floor directly above the exhaust would definitely help.

I definitely would. I did my doors while I had it apart doing speakers and it made a big difference in road noise.

+1 for the amazon version of dynamat.

and paint that rust with por15 or oil based rustoleum or something.

I do it on all my vehicles that I pull the carpet out of. Clean up, paint and apply. I have used numerous brands. All the same results. I know it makes a huge difference with loud cars and heat

Attachments

• IMG_6109.jpeg
    IMG_6109.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6097.jpeg
    IMG_6097.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6095.jpeg
    IMG_6095.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 51
I definitely would. I did my doors while I had it apart doing speakers and it made a big difference in road noise.

+1 for the amazon version of dynamat.

Good info, thank you!

I plan to use this:

I've used it a bit for other things, and have been pleased with the results.

I do it on all my vehicles that I pull the carpet out of. Clean up, paint and apply. I have used numerous brands. All the same results. I know it makes a huge difference with loud cars and heat
How much does it cost to have you come do it for me? :D

I would likely do the roof also, if you drop the headliner. help with the tin can effect.
Great point. The headliner is coming off hopefully by the weekend to get redone.

Good info, thank you!

I plan to use this:

I've used it a bit for other things, and have been pleased with the results.
Former rust belt Toyota owner here, use this instead works way better: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance Krylon Rust Tough Primer: Gray, Aerosol, Eliminates Rust, Primes The Surface, 12 Oz

I used it on my frame in 2016 when I rebuilt it and no rust through or anything. Heads up it contains a shit load of zinc, so make sure you get it ALL off if you ever have to weld near it or you will get yourself sick. Also experienced that first hand.... did I also mention I am a safety manager by trade? LOL

Former rust belt Toyota owner here, use this instead works way better: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance Krylon Rust Tough Primer: Gray, Aerosol, Eliminates Rust, Primes The Surface, 12 Oz

I used it on my frame in 2016 when I rebuilt it and no rust through or anything. Heads up it contains a shit load of zinc, so make sure you get it ALL off if you ever have to weld near it or you will get yourself sick. Also experienced that first hand.... did I also mention I am a safety manager by trade? LOL
So what works "way better" about it?

Back