XJ Sleeper

gmentavlos

I needed a new daily driver, why not have a trail capable vehicle while I'm at it?

Never been a Jeep Guy but a friend of mine has an XJ and he talked me into giving one of these vehicles a try.

I checked Ebay and Craigs list everyday for about a month. I really wanted a stock one so I could build it my way. I finally found one located near Rock Hill for a fair price.

When I got it, it was in rough shape. It had a broken front windsheild, worn paint, bald tires, rotted floor boards on passenger side, and even custom spray paint on the flares and bumpers!

Here it is when I first brought it home. 1993 Cherokee Country. The tire in the pic is the best of the four. There was no tread on the other three. You cant tell in the picture but the hood was color matched with rust and spray paint as well....

93jeep2.JPG

93Jeep1.JPG

I decided to tackle the suspension and related drivetrain parts
1st.

I ordered a skyjacker 3 inch lift kit and installed it.

31 inch Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains.

I replaced both front hubs.

Inspected rear brakes, they looked good.

Replaced front brake pads and rotors.

Replaced ball joints.

Installed Sky Jacker Lift Kit.

Installed new tie rod, tie rod ends, and track bar. I went with a heavy duty tie rod made by rough country.

I also replaced the sway bar bushings.

Under coated the under side with 3M Undercoating.

I pulled the diff covers to inspect the inside of the axles, I then sand blasted and painted the covers while I was at it. I filled them back up with gear oil and was done with that.

Thanks, Kyle! it's pretty much done now. I have to replace a lifter and I also want to add some sliders. I have been driving it for a few months now.

Next on to the rot issues. I pulled the interior out and found a little more that I bargained for. Apparently, the exhaust system was hiding alot of his?

Rot1.JPG

Rot2.JPG

I cut the entire passenger side out and then tack welded a new pan in.

Sheet metal is not my thing...... I think it will hold up fine.

I even painted the floor board so it matches up somewhat.....

Rot3.JPG

Rot4.JPG

I rented a carpet cleaner from Harris Teeter for the day. I cleaned the carpet and the seats while I had everything apart. I pulled out 5 gallons of black water out of the carpet and seats, crazy the amount of dirt that was in there.

I also cut about 8 inches off the front fenders (at the very front) I used a cut off wheel. This had to be done for the new bumper....

Next, I began preparing the body for paint........ I cleaned up the body, got rid of some rust, and took out a few dents. I did not get every dent out. I didn't want to get too crazy being this is a daily driver project......

XJpaintprep2.JPG

xjpaintprep1.JPG

Looking good man.

Back from Macco. I had the Jeep painted the original green with some extra metalic flake added. Also I bought a heavy duty rear bumper that almost looks factory. I had it powder coated black. I located a nice front winch bumper on ebay. I powder coated it to match the rear.

I ended up buying an 8000 Smitty Built Winch from 4 Wheel Parts, just could not beat the price. I also bought a pair of cheap off road lights for some added visability at night.

Macco1.JPG

Macco2.JPG

I ended up doing the work in my drive way because my garage is too full! I got an F250 Project and the Toyota Monster Truck Project taking up too much room in there.

I can honestly say I know what you guys go through that don't have garages. My hat is off to you, it is a pain in the a$%.

Here is another pick fresh out of the paint booth......

Macco2.JPG

which maaco you have it done at?

I ended up making my own rear lower quarter panel trail armor that you can kinda see in the previous pick. I also bought some new fender flares and installed them as well.

I went with the one on South Blvd. Brian is the manager there and he is great to deal with.

Paint turned out nice man. Too bad mine doesn't have a straight piece of sheer metal annywhere...lol

lookin good george!

I went with the one on South Blvd. Brian is the manager there and he is great to deal with.

ok well i used to work @ the one on monroe rd. frank is the owner there. cool guy and great to deal with also.

Will, I am packing for the Gulches right now. I am heading out in the am. The sleeper wheels will be posted soon.......

Here is some junk I pulled out from the underside. I replaced the entire exhaust system with a new down pipe, cat, and Dynomax muffler.

XJjunk.JPG

Back