XJ "rookie" build

TheDoc

So this is my first jeep i've ever owned. got it in Feb 2011. i was going to buy a stock one and build it up but the one i have i couldn't pass up with the deal i got. i've learned ALOT fast in the months that i've had it. there is alot of big plans in store for this jeep but nothing new that someone else hasn't done.

current set up:
axles
-front HP dana 30 3.55 open
-rear chry 8.25 3.55 open

engine
-4.0L
-cold air intake
-E fan wired to a toggle switch
-transmission cooler
-AT
-NP231

tire/suspension
-33x12.50x15 BFG AT
-6.5" rough country
-adjustable short arms
-quick disco sway bar

armor
-jrc front and rear bumpers
-custom rock sliders

misc.
-cb radio
-kc lights
View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6139_5952495131_0df989d4ab_b.jpg
View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6016_5952495469_00d050567c_b.jpg
View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6011_5952495939_1008391253_b.jpg

future plans
ironman4x4 long arms are ordered and in the process of being made.
hp dana 44 and ford 9" with 4.88 and 37's
still deciding on what lockers i want
future fab- boatsides, rear tire carrier and cage
going to upgrade the lift/suspension to possibly 8" to fit the 37's

Looks good man I cant wait to knock out the boat sides on it.

Here is a pic thats slightly larger.
afarm7.static.flickr.com_6021_5948105589_6561de871a_z.jpg
Uwharrie 7.16 097 by Biggoofy, on Flickr

so got my first carnage on daniel this weekend
View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6122_5952495689_a6c79a4402_z.jpg

managed to get it off the trails with the help of some fellow jeepers. at first we just replaced both axle shafts at the top of daniel then try to make a redemption run but the dana30 wasn't engaging. so i called it quits and managed to make it out to the parking lots and removed the front drive shaft. opened the diff and this is what we saw.
View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6028_5953049308_e0f809c8cd_z.jpg
i was pulling metal chunks and shavings out of the diff for a good 20 mins.
good thing i pulled a HP dana30 at the junk yard. going to put it in this week.

man, looks like you give it hell. buddy of mine is running small ujoints on 488gears with 35s and hasnt broke anything yet, (knock on wood haha)

looks like fun

thanks guys. yeah i do wheel the piss out of it.

well yesterday i did my axle swap from the broken LP dana30 to the HP dana 30. this was my first ever axle swap. i took me around 6 hrs to do the whole thing. it's not completely finished i have to go get four bolts for the shock mounts. they snapped in half when i was trying to take them off.

while i was doing the swap i also took off my stock steering stabilizer and put on a used rancho 1000 steering stabilizer that was given to me. put new front brake pads also while i had the calipers off.

here's when i finally got the broken axle disco and out
View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6024_5959203409_2cf526e339_z.jpg

here the HP dana30
View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6136_5959853628_bdfcfbc33b_z.jpg

i'll get pictures tomorrow of the new axle in and everything.

here is a couple interior mods i've made.
tore out the carpet in the trunk.

View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6133_5961850232_3dae87739a_z.jpg

mounted the cb and fire extinguisher

View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6140_5961858948_927a9613b9_z.jpg

toggle switchs: top is e-fan, bottom is kc lights.

View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6008_5972278475_9f70f87e1d_z.jpg

for my next interior mod to get ready for when i can go doorless i'm putting the front speakers in the center console arm rest storage.

If you want to run 37s a d44 isnt a huge upgrade. same ujoint size. Might want to consider a d60

A built HP44 and 9" would definitely hold up to 37s, no questions. And weigh a few hundred pounds less than one tons.

A built HP44 and 9" would definitely hold up to 37s, no questions. And weigh a few hundred pounds less than one tons.

I respectfully disagree.

I have a D44.

You need a bunch of clarification to a statement like this. You have to take in wheel and tire weight. If you have a heavy combo package it will lead to more breakage.

By built you need chromo's, shafts and joints etc.

I would say 37's are on the top end of what a built D44 can handle. Mine has Ten Factory Alloy shafts and Yukon Chromo joints. I still break shafts. I have more money into my built D44 than I would into a stock D60. And a stock D60 is stronger than a built 44 imo. However I'll be putting RCV's into my D44 over the winter. I don't see myself going bigger than 37's and I have way too much going on to justify several grand for another front axle. My kids will be in college in a couple years etc. I can change a shaft pretty quick too.

Also I have chromo's in my 31 spline rear 9" that break as well. I do have a 35 spline spool, I just need the shafts then that should be fine.

Oh yeah and 4.88's aren't enough. Go 5.13 that is what I have and its great.

got the HP dana30 in and the jeep is on the road now. the only thing i have left to do is get a shorter driveshaft. but biggoofy has a couple spares we picked up at the JY so i'll see if they fit later today.
View attachment afarm7.static.flickr.com_6125_5964923096_092b16d2d9_z.jpg

overall i would say i'm glad to finally be able to get my first real upgrade on my jeep that i did over with. there's just a satisfaction that comes with DIY than paying someone else to do it for you.

ok so now to continue with this axle debate. which i don't mind cause the more you guys talk about it the more info i have to ponder on what i'm going to do.

on another note. this is my DD/trail rig. i don't plan on going any bigger than 37's for a while. right now i'm staying stock 30/8.25, gears and all/no lockers. why waste my money on polishing a turd. i'm just going to take that money and put it towards the new axles/gears/locker/tires and then when i have it all, install it. i don't want to jump into the major leagues when i'm still learning about the minor leagues. i want to be able to out wheel my rig then upgrade. i'm still having fun learning how to wheel and fix my stock parts. also my budget is very small.

ok so now to continue with this axle debate. which i don't mind cause the more you guys talk about it the more info i have to ponder on what i'm going to do.

on another note. this is my DD/trail rig. i don't plan on going any bigger than 37's for a while. right now i'm staying stock 30/8.25, gears and all/no lockers. why waste my money on polishing a turd. i'm just going to take that money and put it towards the new axles/gears/locker/tires and then when i have it all, install it. i don't want to jump into the major leagues when i'm still learning about the minor leagues. i want to be able to out wheel my rig then upgrade. i'm still having fun learning how to wheel and fix my stock parts. also my budget is very small.

With all of that being said, I would keep everything you have and don't bother lifting it any more. A cherokee on long arms and 35s locked is VERY capable. Being a dd you wil want to regear. I went over kill on my cherokee just because I got it for the right price. 4.56 gears on 30" street tires when I drive daily is beautiful. I can boast 20mpg all the time. Lift does not mean your jeep is more capable. Traction, tires and lockers, will make a world of difference. I feel a hp44 and 9" are unnecessary as long as you stay at and under the 35" tire range

Did you miss read my post in what I want for my rig?! maybe i should've said i'm going to go 37's when i go full width. if i wanted to go 35's i would've already done that and planned on polishing a dana turdy. but since i WANT to do a axle swap i'm going to go 37's and i'm going to need the lift (8" was a estimate) to fit them with some more trimming. i'm building this so i can wheel harder stuff than just URE. i know that having lockers and regearing makes it more capable*facepalm*. I know this is my first jeep and am new to it but don't mistake my noobness for uneducated towards jeeps

my budget is very small.

i WANT to do a axle swap i'm going to go 37's

These 2 things do not go together.

i'm going to need the lift (8" was a estimate) to fit them with some more trimming.

No you don't. Is this your dd? Here is mine when I finished my swap. (looks nothing like this now, man it sure was pretty) TSL 36's which measure taller than most 37's.

I have about 5.5" of lift.

ai85.photobucket.com_albums_k51_hadfield4wd_finalassembly009.jpg

Then you have to take into account steering etc.

For 90% of the trails on the east coast 35's will get you there. You'll have more fun and less money invested.

Sometimes I wish I had a yj on 31's.

i had 35s and ive been everywere in my xj. but i also droped a 383 sbc with tubro 350 trans in it with 14bolt and 12 bolt 455s......
ai248.photobucket.com_albums_gg193_Ramoyer1_0621091609.jpg

I think you are completely on the right track. XJ's are great for beginning wheelers to start with. They are capable rigs, have good inexpensive part availability, and lend themselves well to dual duty (DD/wheeler). Your story is a very common one that is seen a lot. The progression w XJ's goes like this: 3" lift and 31's, have fun, want to do bigger stuff, then break, upgrade to long arms and bigger tires, have fun, want to do bigger stuff, then break, upgrade to 1/2 tons and bigger tires, have less fun, then break, try to do one tons, realize its not worth the investment of time and money on a unibody rig, try to sell the now beat up unfinished project and sit around wishing you had the money you invested back and the jeep back the way it was. Some people try the big lifts and all that but it usually doesn't end up working out right.

I think folks who have been through this progression are just tossing you a word of caution. No one is doubting you've done your research and homework, just trying to save you some heartache in the end.

XJ's are great rigs up to a point. There are those out there who have taken them to extremes with success, but I bet if you ask anyone of them the same thing they'd tell you. They honestly work best with around 4-5.5" of lift w/ LA's and built up stock width axles and 35's or less. Departure from that formula opens up a whole new can of worms and expense. You just end up throwing a lot of good resources after bad.

If you really love the jeep, great! Enjoy it for what it is. Keep it within the confines of what its meant for and use it for that. If at some point you want a full width rig that is capable of going after the hardcore stuff, build one. Keep the XJ to use as a mild to medium family type wheeler/camping rig. Or sell it to fund the next project.

For rigs running over 37's and full width axles, there are much better choices to start with that will end up giving you better results. Its much more budget friendly to take this route. I know it doesn't appear that way, since you already have the XJ, but trust us, it is.

There is NOTHING wrong with what you are doing. Its great to learn, wheel, break, and gain experience. Your rig is nice and appropriately built. It looks like you're enjoying it and the sport. That's awesome!! Keep it up! Just keep in mind that when you want to go bigger, it might save you some time and money to switch gears to something else.

Examples are something with a full frame, preferably a fully boxed full frame. Something with larger wheel wells, or something easier to clearance for larger wheel wells. You want to keep it low and wide. The amount of width, height, and suspension travel can be tough things to balance, so this is where it comes down to a matter of individual taste. It all depends upon what is most important to you. Some would rather be lower and wider for safety, giving up some wheel travel. There are ways to find a good balance of all of those things, but much of that starts to depend on budget. I.E. not everyone can afford a buggy. No one is saying you have to have a buggy to go big, there are plenty of ways to be more hardcore w/o one. I will say, that for most of the wheeling around here, folks are beginning to understand that having a ton of flex is less important than being stable. While ground clearance is important, its strongly related to wheel base and break-over angles. Clearance under the axles is the biggest gain. Under the rig itself is less important if your wheel base is shorter.

I'm sure you understand all of this, just laying it out there so you, and others who may follow your thread, have something to keep in mind when selecting a rig to build.

Sorry for rambling so long in your build thread! Keep up the good work on the XJ! It looks awesome! Makes me miss the one I had so many years ago lol :beer:

I

As much as I hate to admit it I think NC is right. I have several friends that have successfully done tons in an xj, however you need frame stiffeners and a cage or else it will tear itself apart. Most of my friends are basically buggy's now, no way street legal. Some have kept a full body.

I think one of hte best ways to go to 37's and keep a family rig is go 4 runner. Pre-86 is best due to it has a solid axle from the factory, but the swaps are pretty easy on the later ones. Throw in Longfields and your good to 39's.

As much as I hate to admit it I think NC is right. I have several friends that have successfully done tons in an xj, however you need frame stiffeners and a cage or else it will tear itself apart. Most of my friends are basically buggy's now, no way street legal. Some have kept a full body.
I think one of hte best ways to go to 37's and keep a family rig is go 4 runner. Pre-86 is best due to it has a solid axle from the factory, but the swaps are pretty easy on the later ones. Throw in Longfields and your good to 39's.

x2

I think one of hte best ways to go to 37's and keep a family rig is go 4 runner.

if i wanted a family rig i would've gotten a mini van.

also having this as a DD still wouldn't be a problem once i go full widths considering my drive to work at most sometimes is like 4 miles away.

if i wanted a family rig i would've gotten a mini van.
also having this as a DD still wouldn't be a problem once i go full widths considering my drive to work at most sometimes is like 4 miles away.

I have a minivan too.:bounce2:

Well legallity and inspections would be the issue, not if you could drive it on the road.

Back