Work truck build

I'm short 3 cross beams but the basic frame work is done, minus the underside welding. I'll do that at the same time I stitch the floor in.

Overall dimensions are 9'at the longest and 8'3"at the shortest length. Width is 94" (just a tick more than outside of tires) with rub rails still to come.

Will be adding a double tube headache rack and removable tube side rails. There will be 1 (each side) 18" under bed boxes at cab.

All my lights are here as well. Entire system is led. I'm taking the vision x spots off my buggy to use as work lights in headache rack. Also purchased a 20" light bar from Rides for the front bumper. (Will buy another single bar for buggy also. )

few pics

uploadfromtaptalk1395787304180.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395787321794.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395787338265.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395787353588.jpg

Nice work my brother!
:beer:

Sweet I just bought a 99 f550 6spd, pretty low mileage but been sitting since '10 so I was gonna check the tank out when I get the service bed off. May end up building a flat bed like yours vs buying one. What size steel did you use?

I got lucky with having the 4.30 limited slip Dana 110 rear. I hope you got the 4.30 gear and not 4.88. Talked to a guy today with the tall gears, 6 spd, 7.3....2600 revs at 70mph. I'm going to go up a tire size (from 225/70 to 245/70-gain just over and inch) to have an effective ratio of 4.10.

The main rails, head, and siderails are 2x4x.188. Crosses and tail are 2x3x.125. Intend to use .125 tread plate and crosses will be 12" on center. Have a few tricks up my sleeve for headache rack, rails and spare mount as well.

Last edited:
Mine is the 4.88 limited slip, as far as I know in the 7.3 trucks came in 4.88 and 5.XX I have brand new 225s now but will go to the taller 245s when I need a new set.
Sweet I will probably build my own bed they want a lot for one.

Yep I got quoted $4138 I could but the materials for less than $1500 I think

awesome build. and i also debated when i was shopping for a tow rig of just building my own from an old school body and the cummins also. not to hi jack or lead your build thread off track. but reading your post. it looks to me you have done more than your share of homework and have alot experience with some of these diesels. so if you dont mind iwant to see if u can help me out. trying to figure out what to do with a huge investment im not happy with. at the time i bought my truck. i worked for a dealer where we had several franchises and ford being 1 of them. and i talked to several techs and supposedly n 06 when i bought my truck everyone was convinced they had the bugs worked out of the 6.0. so i ended up buying an 06 f250 6.0 auto. so at 7500 miles developed a squeal which sounded like a bearing in the alt. so i took it in. and it was just a belt but they flashed my comp. they deny it. but had too. lost power and 5 mpgs. so i have been trying to figure out what to do with this thing now that its out of warranty. just wondering if you have any knowledge of this turd? any help would be appreciated. Ive read on cummins swap to all the other bolt ons and everything else. just recently found some info on ficm repair having good results with what i want. but after having close to 50k in something that turned out to be not what u spent that money on. i dont want to spend anymore unless im pretty sure of the results. and I dont need a play toy. just want a good dependable, decent power and fuel mileage tow rig. and we can delete this mess out of your build thread if need be. again, seemed you had really done alot of homework so i figured u wouldnt mind helping a bro out. thanx. and hopefully we will b out on the trails soon. another reason i would like to get this sorted before we get to hauling all over wheeling

Really nice work. :beer:

That bed looks good but why not put a dump kit on it while you are doing all that work? In your line of work I would think that would be real handy to have.

@cardude

The 6.0 can be a good motor. I didn't do any extensive research on it in particular. But the just of what I know about it is roughly the same upgrades as the 6.4, dmax, and cummins. Delete emissions; egr, dpf, headstuds, intake and programmer. I did all my research on forums; powerstroke army, powerstroke.com, competition diesel. ...etc. Those guys are to Diesels as we are to off roading... and I mainly lurked, the questions had already been asked and answered multiple times. If be happy to help any way I can. But there will be a substantial investment any way you do it, be it build the 6.0 or a cummins swap.

@shawn

Thanks my friend

@jeconn

I really almost did do a dump and I'm sure it would be useful. But as far as my business goes, I have a dump trailer that I rarely use for scrap. The goal is handle the materials as few times as possible.... when it's dumped on the ground it's really just more work. Once I bring the stuff home it goes in gaylords or is palletized for shipment by freight. ... generally.

Plus with the size of my trailer and a regular pick up bed is very easy to get overweight by my tags. So even though I wanted a strong/heavy bed; still need to haul as much commodities as possible at once.

Those welds will never hold up. The design just absolutely sucks. Are you serious? why do you put this crap on here?
But since you are a good friend, I will give you $.10 a pound above scrap, and get it out of your way!
Yeah I know, what am I smoking?
Looks great Matt, can't wait to see it in person!

Looks good and like said by @novacayne75 i've been debating building a flatbed for mine and have a few ideas for built in toolboxes, and your thread is making me want to spend money I dont need to spend. Good job so far, waiting to see how it ends up.

That's badass! Fabbing it and coming up with a design that you like it fun and all, but once I get to tack it all together and then lay some welds, I get really happy. I bet that's been a pretty fun project! It really makes me want to build a bed for my K30. The way the rear came together is just awesome!

I know I could make one with all the tools and equipment I have access to at work....I could even blast it, paint it, and pull test it :D

Any plans to add in a gooseneck hitch? I'm guessing not, but it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea. Never know when you'll need one or come across a nice trailer at a steal!

Back