Which Rig/Daily Driver Should I Buy?

lol nah you can run through a mud pit with a 29" if you wanted too . . .
Just my opinion, but yea i don't think a 35" tire really doesn't do any good except on like a Samurai (mud, rocks, w/e), but I mean, in all reality he might not need a tire that's 44" or 42" tall like mine but yea IMO 35 is entry level, 38-40 is small 42-44 is normal getting toward the 50's is more realistic, and obviously you got the huge tractor tires after that but unless youre doin comp mud boggin you don't really need those.

I pretty much disagree with everything you're saying. I mean hes looking to get into wheeling. I can run just about everything at Uwharrie in 2wd w/ 33's and locked. I just got back from tellico and heard the same crap you're saying that a cherokee on 33's is going to struggle w/ slickrock, lower 2, etc. Well that really isnt the case. I would almost say that I bet there are a lot more places I can get into that your 44's can..

And oh yeah, I drove mine to tellico at 75mph, wheeled it for 3 days and drove it back averaging 19mpg on the highway.

So, I say for your best DD / trail warrior you cant go wrong w/ a cherokee.

I vote for the 4 runner. You probably won't fit very well into a truck without an extended cab and then only 89 and up. It'll be more reliable than just about anything else out there in your price range. And in the event you do break it it's easy to work on cause it was designed to be worked on. Can't say that about the domestics.

yea im def not arguing on the reliability of the cherokee, the 4.0 is a stout reliable motor, and as I said before a cherokee may be the bast bang for the buck depending on what you're lookin to acheive, but, uwharrie is hardly wheeling, honeslty a stock vehicle can do just about if not all of uwharrie so I hardly consider it as something to compare off road capability at, tellico, yea def posses some challanges, and alot of times having traction is enough not neccesarily the larger tire size, just for what im trying to acheive as an end result in any any rig I build those tire sizes are what I consider, but for him, might not be what he needs

yea im def not arguing on the reliability of the cherokee, the 4.0 is a stout reliable motor, and as I said before a cherokee may be the bast bang for the buck depending on what you're lookin to acheive, but, uwharrie is hardly wheeling, honeslty a stock vehicle can do just about if not all of uwharrie so I hardly consider it as something to compare off road capability at, tellico, yea def posses some challanges, and alot of times having traction is enough not neccesarily the larger tire size, just for what im trying to acheive as an end result in any any rig I build those tire sizes are what I consider, but for him, might not be what he needs

ill stack a properly built cherokee on 33-35s against any rig out there unless its a buggy and heck i would still run it! the difference is i can drive my cherokee home under its own power at 75mph not on a trailer! and that sounds like what he is looking for....just my .02

uwharrie is hardly wheeling,

serious question..... but have you ever wheeled anything anywhere? (not including some mud hole or power line trail somewhere?)

who cares what you think is or isnt wheeling.... if i guy comes on here asking questions about what rig to buy to get into a little wheeling, chances are it wont be a terribly bad ass rig on 44 inch tires like you seem to think EVERYONE needs, and he will have a lot of fun in a mildly built rig wheeling uwharrie

and as for the comments on XJs being more expensive to lift, we have less than $250 in the suspension on my girlfriend's MJ, including a track bar, upper fixed and lower adj control arms, 4 inch coils and a spacer.......

get a cherokee. try for a 91 or newer. More power, cleaner wiring, more aftermarket support. Can't beat em for the size,price,reliability,wheelaility.
Somebody is always selling some used xj lift stuff, cheap.
I took my xj on 35" radials everywhere in tellico.

Yeah, a solid axle yota would be nice, but for 1500 budget youre gonna have a hard time finding one that isn't rotten/thrashed worn out.

Question for you, why are 1/2 the pictures on your site Uwharrie and the other half mud holes on power line trails.. Have you actually wheeled anywhere else?

Also on a serious note, what are you trying to achieve w/ 44's? Especially on a vehicle that you have to jack up 20" to fit those tires? I understand a LCG buggy running large tires but when I looked at your site w/ the YJ/CJ thing I just guess I dont understand what it's good for.

EDIT: 35xj are you bringing that buggy out to DPG on the 17th?

I'd bail on the Cherokee or 'Yota, given your size. I'm 6'7" @ 290 & my buddies Cherokee fits like a bad suit.....the 'Yota regular cab would flat out suck for more than a 10 minute ride.

The '79 Bronco or Blazer's would be more comfortable.\

Good luck!

the huge cj/yj thing is long gone man, I just havn't updated my website in a long time, im lazy :shaking:

my current rigs are in the truck gallery that green chevy and ford both have 4" of lift and one runs 44's and the other 42's, I'm hopin to have my jeep ready by the 17th for devils playground, it is srping over with some stock chevy 63's and 42's, big lift is cool but not great for anything other than mud.

Looks like a Cherokee is going to be my next purchase! And to answer some of y'all's questions...Yes i'm looking for a nice daily driver that I can drive to work, school, on the trails and back. And by daily driver I mean daily driver. I fit pretty good in the Cherokee's that I have went and looked at. I'm not looking at getting into hardcore wheeling. I've never wheeled before and i'd like to start off slow for now. At the most if I get a Cherokee i'd just put a 2" Budget Boost Lift on it and 30" Tires. Thanks for the help guys!

Go to www.naxja.org and search for 2 or 3inch BB and 31's or just look in the pics section. if your going the XJ route thats the best place to go for tech! theres some people over there that know there stuff on XJ's. days worth of reading on there

Another vote for the Cherokee. Seen my buddies old one with a 3" lift and 31's amaze me.

I have owned 3 Cherokees,

a 90 model, with the 4.0, when I sold it, it had 163,000 on it, and it still had the power of a new one, my sister borrowed it one day, driving from Asheville to Hendersonville she called and said something was wrong with it, when I got to her it had overheated and the block was GLOWING orange. I thought for sure that she had cracked the block, or at the very least blew a head gasket. neither happened we stuck a Radiator in it, and drove it another 20,000 miles.

I saw the guy I sold it to the other day, and he is still driving from Hickory to Charlotte everyday

It has over 250,000 miles on it now, and he says it never skipped a beat

morale of the long story is, get a Cherokee with the 4.0

one thing I hated on the 90 model was the vaccum system that runs the 4wd

If you need any help, I am local to Hickory, just ask

hey man I have an 89 mustang conv.GT
will deliver
today

Didn't you read his post fool. He already has a Mustang. He is looking for a four wheel drive.

ill stack a properly built cherokee on 33-35s against any rig out there unless its a buggy and heck i would still run it! the difference is i can drive my cherokee home under its own power at 75mph not on a trailer! and that sounds like what he is looking for....just my .02

I will take your challenge Linc! hahaha Lets go to Harlan instead of tellico though. I want to see that cherokee get a little body damage.:bounce:

And Cherokee is a great builder unless you are getting into 1 tons and cutting the body. Unibody sucks but cant be worked around.

I will take your challenge Linc! hahaha Lets go to Harlan instead of tellico though. I want to see that cherokee get a little body damage.:bounce:
And Cherokee is a great builder unless you are getting into 1 tons and cutting the body. Unibody sucks but cant be worked around.

sam,

put the body back on the cruiser like you bought it and drive it too the trail and back and ill run ya!! (yeah i remember when that thing was "mint" and Mac's Jeep was "mint") haha

get a 1st gen 4runner. I'm 6'9"/ 350 lbs, and fit fine in my 86. you'll dig the removeable top too. my current SAS rig on 33's runs 70 mph to and from the trails and wheels like crazy. if you don't go overboard on tire size you can have lots of fun in an IFS rig and not break it....too much.

sam,

put the body back on the cruiser like you bought it and drive it too the trail and back and ill run ya!! (yeah i remember when that thing was "mint" and Mac's Jeep was "mint") haha

I dont need no stinkin body. I still suggested and "old school" run to tellico or windrock and have everyone drive their junk and leave the tow rigs at home. For some reason no one jumped on that deal. :confused: :rolleyes:

If i had an overdrive on the TH350 and do over 70 then i would drive to uwharrie ect. I used to drive to all the trails at 65 the whole way on 38's :shaking:

I dont need no stinkin body. I still suggested and "old school" run to tellico or windrock and have everyone drive their junk and leave the tow rigs at home. For some reason no one jumped on that deal. :confused: :rolleyes:
If i had an overdrive on the TH350 and do over 70 then i would drive to uwharrie ect. I used to drive to all the trails at 65 the whole way on 38's :shaking:

i drove to tellico twice on full widths and 38" TSLs at 75 for 5+hours in none other than a CHEROKEE with a tired 4.0 with 175K on it!!! do that in the cruiser...haha

Back