Which Rig/Daily Driver Should I Buy?

79Mustang

Hey y'all, it's my first post so I thought i'd introduce myself and ask a couple questions while i'm at it. My name's Tyler, i'm 17 years old, a senior in High School, and I drive a nice 1979 Ford Mustang 5.0. I don't have a Truck/Jeep yet but I have about $1500 to buy one and I can't make my mind up on what I want so I thought you guys could help me out. I'm looking for a 4X4 that I can drive daily, get decent/ok gas mileage and play in the mud/climb some hills with on the weekends. I also need a rig that's going to be reliable. Here's some of the general years of trucks/suv's i've been looking at. Help me pick out which one would suit my needs!
  • 1984-1992 Jeep Cherokee
  • 1979-1990 Ford F150/Bronco
  • 1985-1990 Full Size GMC Jimmy/K5 Blazer
  • 1980-1990 Toyota Pickup W/ 22R
Also, throw out some suggestions of trucks I should look at if I don't have it listed. Most people told me to get a Cherokee! Thanks for the help y'all!!!

Dude I'd say get either the yota or the fullsize chevy, if you do get the yota make sure you get an 85 or before so you get a solid front axle otherwise it kinda defeats the low buck purpose of the rig when you have to go back and swap a solid axle in. Reason I say get the yota or chevy is the cheap aftermarket of parts for it, if you get a cherokee you end up havin to deal with all that stupid coil front end stuff and that can get expensive when trying to lift, also cherokee's rear axle's suck and will need to be replaced unless you can find one with a dana 44. Also id say stay away fromt the fords cause they got the ttb front end which is also expensive to lift and not very good for flex. Preferably id say get the fullsize chevy and cut the crap outta the fenders cause im not a fan of any vehicle w/o a v8 but thats just me, you want better gas milage go for the solid front axle yota.

x3 on the Toyota. The MPGs will be the best of all those, and the motor is easy to work on in teh rare event that it needs it. Maybe not as comfy as the Cherokee for a DD but I'd go for the MPGs and reliability first.

x3 on the Toyota. The MPGs will be the best of all those, and the motor is easy to work on in teh rare event that it needs it. Maybe not as comfy as the Cherokee for a DD but I'd go for the MPGs and reliability first.

Hmmm...I need something that's gonna be pretty roomy though. I'm a big guy! I'm 6'5" and I weigh about 210 pounds so yeah i'm gonna need some room. I fit pretty good in a Cherokee.

If you decide to go with the Cherokee, get one '87 or later. Those came with the fuel injected 4.0, as compared to the anemic GM 2.8L they had in there in the early years.

I vote for the Cherokee... If you can get one w/ a D44 that would even sweeten the deal... Im not partial or anything though... I even think its one of the most capable stock vehicles out there for wheeling..

First rig/previous rig was an XJ and I loved it. I'm also a big fella 6'5" 235lbs. and the Cherokee was a decent fit. Plenty of parts you can pick up fairly cheap too. my .02

didn't notice he included 79, that would be a good one.

I disagree with goin with the cherokee, i've owned two cherokee's myself, yea cherokee's are nice but you cant do any significant modifications too it w/o havin to spend a good bit. First off unless you luck out you gonna have to replace the rear axle, the dana 35 wont hold up to hardly anything. Then the fact that if you wanna get any significant lift outta the front its gonna cost you, a good bit.

The toyota fits what you're wanting pretty perfectly. With an 85 being the best of all worlds. That being said, you can't really go wrong with an xj. Even though it's basically a station wagon, it's the only jeep that I would ever own. (built after 1970)

I disagree with goin with the cherokee, i've owned two cherokee's myself, yea cherokee's are nice but you cant do any significant modifications too it w/o havin to spend a good bit. First off unless you luck out you gonna have to replace the rear axle, the dana 35 wont hold up to hardly anything. Then the fact that if you wanna get any significant lift outta the front its gonna cost you, a good bit.

If he ends up getting an XJ with the ChryCo 8.25, he won't have to worry so much about replacing the axle.

And truthfully, it's a lot cheaper to lift the front than it is the rear. Coil springs cost much less than leaf packs.

Hmmm...I need something that's gonna be pretty roomy though. I'm a big guy! I'm 6'5" and I weigh about 210 pounds so yeah i'm gonna need some room. I fit pretty good in a Cherokee.

Get a 4runner. Kinda like a Cherokee you can take the top off of. Except everything's metric, easier to work on, and lasts longer. Oh yeah, it has a frame, too. :flipoff2:
Or if ya want to be a little more Pimpin' get a 90ish Runner. No pop top, but nicer on the inside.

If he ends up getting an XJ with the ChryCo 8.25, he won't have to worry so much about replacing the axle.
And truthfully, it's a lot cheaper to lift the front than it is the rear. Coil springs cost much less than leaf packs.
While I agree with you on all counts there, and do believe that an xj is one of the best budget wheeling rigs you can buy... I also have a diff cover from an 8.25 in my garage right now that has a spider gear sticking halfway through it. :flipoff2:

:edit: Also, I don't believe the years of xj he's looking at had the 8.25 available...only the d44 on very few.

didn't notice he included 79, that would be a good one.

there's so many wrong facts in that statment its funny. there really not that $$$$ to lift. he can pick up one and lift it easily for 1500. also he can pile 4 friends in there and hit the hills! The D35 is crap so stay away from there!!!!! but a cry 8.25 are easy to find. also it gets better miliage than them big ole chevy's/fords/etc.....and the 4.0 is pretty reliable!

if your looking jut for a cheap rig to play in though its hard to beat the nasty 79 YOTA's!:beer:

Get a 4runner. Kinda like a Cherokee you can take the top off of. Except everything's metric, easier to work on, and lasts longer. Oh yeah, it has a frame, too. :flipoff2:
Or if ya want to be a little more Pimpin' get a 90ish Runner. No pop top, but nicer on the inside.

ahhhhhh forgot about this one. good suggestion:beer:

get a cherokee hands down .. find a high mileage 4.0 .. they will run forever, got good power, and get good mileage. thats what i started with for $600. they are easliy lifted . u can go 3 inches and go with some 31s

Tru you can probably find a cherokee cheaper than the others they probably are the best bang for the buck cause the 4.0's are pretty stout but . . . no it does in fact cost more to lift the front of a cherokee, sure coils may cost less but unless you don't care about trac bars, control arms, etc. your def gonna have to pay more to lift it.

Unless like 31's or maybe 33's is all you wanna go, if thats the case then yea it isnt more expensive, but I mean I consider a 35" to be hardly an entry level tire, but thats just me . . .

lol nah you can run through a mud pit with a 29" if you wanted too . . .

Just my opinion, but yea i don't think a 35" tire really doesn't do any good except on like a Samurai (mud, rocks, w/e), but I mean, in all reality he might not need a tire that's 44" or 42" tall like mine but yea IMO 35 is entry level, 38-40 is small 42-44 is normal getting toward the 50's is more realistic, and obviously you got the huge tractor tires after that but unless youre doin comp mud boggin you don't really need those.

Also id say stay away fromt the fords cause they got the ttb front end which is also expensive to lift and not very good for flex.
I disagree
102.jpg

100.jpg
this is a stock 97 ranger :beer:

Cherokee... plenty of room. decent mileage, easy to work on if you have a complete socket set, you can get 2" out of them with just spacers... And if you want to go bigger, theres plenty of second hand lifts floating around to save ya money.. and we all know u cant beat the 4.0 for power and longevity.

Back