Where are my metal guys?

Cherokeekid88

So I have a couple Aluminum key chains/etc that I have gotten over the years that I really like and most of them are all aluminum in a raw finish. What are my options for changing the color or adding some sort of patina to them?
I know that I can have them powder coated or anodized, but looking for something that maybe I can do at home with some sort of chemical or something that will change the color/patina? Not looking for any specific color, just don't want it to be raw anymore.

you can get a do it yourself anodizing kit. Cerocoate is also an alternative.
Yeah, thought about doing the Anodizing, just thought maybe there was something that I could let it soak in that would add some patina to it. And I am correct in assuming that heat will NOT change the color of Aluminum?

Yeah, thought about doing the Anodizing, just thought maybe there was something that I could let it soak in that would add some patina to it. And I am correct in assuming that heat will NOT change the color of Aluminum?
Heat will change the color, but if you get it hot enough to really have a noticeable effect, it will also change the shape ;)

Anodizing is likely going to be a failure unless you can figure out a good cleaning/pretreatment process and have some idea of what the alloy is. There's a lot of process experimentation for anodizing (both for the oxide process and for the color dye/seal process) and some alloys just don't like to anodize depending on the alloying elements. Starting with an old keychain versus a fresh, shiny new keychain is also going to throw some fun variables into the mix.

If you want to add patina, maybe something like a black oxide and then remove/buff off the exterior surfaces to leave the crevices? This is similar to what people do with thinned-down paint for patina washes, etc. There are black oxide chemistries that are made specifically for aluminum instead of steel.

Bolt them to your front wheels for a couple of weeks and get brake dust patina

I'm over here just trying to figure out what is so great about a key chain that it's worth putting any effort into changing.
I have a couple of pretty cool bottle openers/multi tools that I have gotten over the years and have always thought would be cool to patina or change the color. Little things like changing the color of the hardware on a knife or something alike has always been something that I love to do.

I actually read that bleach will sort of "etch" aluminum and create a darker color, so that's what I did. Soaked one in bleach over night and gave it a bit of a stone wash look.

Same....was hoping for Slayer tickets for cheap
I could get down with that! Also I hate that I missed the 70,000 tons of metal cruise ship tour that took place a few months ago. As far as modern day metal goes, this is the sh't!!

Just alodine them. Spray them with alcohol, scrub it with some scotch brite, alcohol again, then let it dry. The alodine will turn it a goldish yellow color.

Back