Welder pre-purchase advice

taylor1

This might be something a few of you can help me out with. I'm narrowing down my search for a 220v welder. I'm looking for the additional inverter power and a few features.

I'm currently running an older northern tool 135 mig 120v with shieldpro CO2 argon mix. I purchased it around 2010. Its never had a problem with my intermittent use on sheet metal and random light fab.

Dialed in on a few candidates in the better budget range under $1000. Infinite current and feed control plus aluminum spool gun compatibility are the only must haves. The three below cover that in different varieties.

$649.99 Northern Tool Klutch 210 multi process
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631881_200631881
-Mig, arc and optional scratch tig
-includes Mig spool gun
-3 year warranty
-30%@160 Mig duty cycle

$650 plus shipping via fleBay: Everlast power imig 200 dual voltage
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/mig/power-i-mig-200
-Mig and arc
-Accepts spool gun
-5 year warranty
-35%@200A mig duty cycle

$799 -$1000 Thermal arc 181i fabricator
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...Pak-wFREE-Thermal-Arc-Small-Cart-P246007.aspx
-Mig, arc and optional tig
-optional spool gun
-30%@160A mig duty cycle

Hobart has a dual volt model that is just beyond this price range. Missed a used one on the craiglist a while back.

Did I miss any brands or models?

The favorite blue and red brands are not listed. Given my limited fab work, work space and experience, I can't justify paying double for something that will do the same thing at a slightly higher duty cycle. I may not even notice the difference when I weld so infrequently.
Someday that may change.

Any personal experience or opinions?

I'll add links to details above once I'm off tapatalk.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can purchase refurbished hobart welders and save a little money. They do have some warranty, but will have to read up on those details yourself. I purchased a 125 flux core (mig-adaptable) from them and saved a good bit over Tractor Supply prices. I'm satisfied with it so far, if I knew what I was doing I would probably want more machine....

http://www.hobartweldshop.com/servlet/the-Refurbished-Hobart-Welders/Categories

I did what everybody on pirate4x4 does and went out and bought a Hobart Handler 187 220v and started with flux core. I have absolutely no regrets buying it and over the last 7 years I've built 5 rigs and have used and abused it and it's never let me down. I paid the sale price of $550 (I think).

I did what everybody on pirate4x4 does and went out and bought a Hobart Handler 187 220v and started with flux core. I have absolutely no regrets buying it and over the last 7 years I've built 5 rigs and have used and abused it and it's never let me down. I paid the sale price of $550 (I think).
Thinking back that's what I should've done.

Strange, Thanks for the link on the refurbed Hobart. The 210mvp will be added to the list.

Check with the welding supply stores. Sometimes they get used machines in on trade. I got a Miller 210 for $900 about 6 months ago. It still looks new. Not infinate adjustable, but I can do what I need to.

Looked up the Hobart 210mvp, $729.99 reconditioned comes with 90 day warranty. 7 step current, infinite wire speed with transformer power supply.

75lbs Hobart vs a 35lb Everlast

Corrected the everlast mig duty cycle 35%@200 amps

What about the Eastwood units? I've never used one, nor do I know anyone that has one, but knowing the Eastwood company, it should be a decent product. I've been looking at their plasma cutters for a while.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html
I've looked at those. Low to average reviews on the welding web forum. At 175A I'm not gaining a whole lot there.

$499 includes the spool gun. Smoking deal for auto body repair where everything is less than 1/8"

Last edited:
If you are not in a hurry keep your eyes and ears out for a used machine. I picked up a nice Miller for just above your price range complete with a bottle. You will not regret having a bigger machine.

I would take a look for a used lincon/miller machine as well, can usually find good deals every once in a while. If not, I own an everlast imig200 and one of there multi-purpose machines. Have had them for a couple years now and not a problem out of either of them. I originally bought them for personal use, but have been using them in regularly in my shop for the past 2 years.

Both Cyberweld and Northern Tool has the Hobart 210 MVP for less than 900$, great deal in my opinion. That's by far the best bang for buck welder on the market....

Just spotted a used $800 Millermatic 212 on Greensboro craiglist. Includes a tank set up.
Looking at specs of the current 212 Millermatic autoset, it's a whole lot more welder than the others I'm considering. No moving this thing beyond my garage.

Guys recommending the Miller stuff, is Miller that much better than Hobart or everlast to give up new product mfg warranty?

I bought the hobart 210 mvp from Tractor Supply about 6 months ago, caught it on sale for $829.99, its the best shop tool I have purchased to date

they put them on sale from time to time

I got a new miller 211mvp about a year ago from a local welding supply store. I want to say it was around $1100-1200. Infinite adjustable, spool gun ready and auto set. Its the best welding machine I've used yet. I'd for sure jump on a used miller unit if you get a deal on it.

Just spotted a used $800 Millermatic 212 on Greensboro craiglist. Includes a tank set up.
Looking at specs of the current 212 Millermatic autoset, it's a whole lot more welder than the others I'm considering. No moving this thing beyond my garage.

Guys recommending the Miller stuff, is Miller that much better than Hobart or everlast to give up new product mfg warranty?
Better is relative. Is Craftsman "Better" than Snap On? Both ratchets go clicky, are reversible, apply torque, and fit a 1/2" drive. Which will you still have in 10 years and still have value? Do you have to rely on it to feed your family? Will the mfg replace the whole thing or just replace the chinese ratchet mechanism when it breaks?

Yes, the Miller is "better" but that value may or may not be important to you. Also, there are a lot of Miller parts in a Hobart (unless something has changed since i researched welders in 2002). I have a Hobart Handler 175 that I've had since 2002 and it still works great. I've also had a Miller Syncrowave 500 TIG that was fantastic, and a $150 Harbor Freight TIG that was great for the money and portability.

Well put jeepinmatt. That value quality balance is different for every person's scenario.

All prep, settings and user skill equivalent. Miller vs everlast vs northern vs harbour freight lay a pretty similar bead on day one?

Features adjustability and Performance after xx run hours will differ greatly.

I've been playing with an Eastwood 135 for a couple months now. I have to say, I'm impressed. Sheet metal to tube to 1/4", it's done everything I've asked of it, and I've put about 10lbs of 0.023 through it with no hiccups. I want to get my hands on a 175, too. If you were stuck in the $500 range, I'd recommend it highly. We tend to drag the Eastwood around rather than either big Miller because it's portable, easy to set up, you don't need a big extension cord to get the power to it, it works well, and we're really trying to put it through its paces. I honestly like it better than our Miller 185 or 210 for sheet. And I think customer service will be better than Everlast, should I ever need it.

All that said, if you can get a used 212 turn-key for $800, what are you doing here?! Go get it! If it's less than 3 years old, u think the True Blue warranty transfers. You probably won't need it, though. Parts for a Miller, should it fail, are affordable and easy to come by. Things like drive rolls, nozzles, and tips come in a wide variety, so you can dial it in should you start using it for more esoteric applications. As for the spool gun, I won't be cheap, but I know very few people who have had good luck with one. I've never used one, but they seem to be a pain to set up. If you see yourself doing a lot of aluminum in the future, learn to TIG.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00487 these just came out. Its at the top of your price range but I'd say it'd be money well spent. I learned a few month ago that all authorized miller repair shops get "kickbacks" from miller to put their warranty work ahead of all other work. My hypertherm plasma is the same way, that's how I found out. It was under warranty and needed repair. I was like number 200 on the repair list at the shop but because it was a hypertherm they next day aired the parts to the shop and had it fixed in two days. If it had been a lincoln or a esab unit I would have had to wait till they repaired the 200 machines ahead of mine first. That's worth it's weight in gold to me personally.

I have several local guys that I trust purchase both everlast and longevity machines in the last 18 months. Two mig machines and one tig. They have. I thing but good things to say about them. I worry about the durability of them in an industrial setting but for the home hobbyist, look like a great deal for the $$$. Most of the china made ones are all made in same factory and are just rebranded for retail. Find the brand with the best us support, if you go that route.

Normally I wouldn't recommend buying overseas junk but sometimes for 1/5 the price of name brand, it's hard to compete with.

If I were to buy another MIG machine right now, I would definitely buy the esab caddy mig 200.

It's inverter based and reads the arc voltage. Once you dial it in for the material and wire size, you can change stick out, change position and pull/push and it changes voltage to keep arc voltage consistent. You can run solid wire, flux core, alum, stainless, silbro, and high nickle wire through it all with no push pull gun.

All these features out of 200a machine, 27lbs, and usually is priced between $780-$850. I demo'd this unit last year and have been drooling over one ever since.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Noticed the Millermatic 190 is built to accept the 100 spool mate? Can anyone speak to the practical limits of that 100 series vs 200 series spool gun?

Last edited:
Back