Uwharrie Trail Work Day #9, December 18th

Will you be attending work day #9?

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
WORK LOAD:

This is the HEAVY WORK LOAD day that most of you have been waiting for. We will be putting up a LOT of guard railing. If you have been on the fence about attending a work day this is one to attend. The TRAILS WILL BE CLOSED so this will be an opportunity to be out on the trails when no one else is.

We will need a crew to run the 2-man Auger, plus a crew to work with Bobcat/Auger combo. We still need to take care of the Bobcat/Auger rental. We have $255 to go to the rental, so money wise we only need a little less than $100. But the main thing we need is someone to transport it. PM me for details or check the equipment schedule.

SCHEDULE:

8AM - OUTPOST BREAKFAST
9AM - MEET AT HUNT CAMP
1PM - 1:30PM - LUNCH ON THE TRAIL (TYHDG UNCONFIRMED)
3PM - RETURN TO WORK PENDING AMOUNT DONE

LODGING:

As always there will be free camping offered for the volunteers. There are Cabin rentals available in the area for those not interested in camping.

FUTURE/OTHER WORK:

To my knowledge there may not be a January work day. So this December work day will be your only chance to get on the trails and get some work done until February. Which will probably be another heavy work load day. The FS tries to get as much of the heavy work done during the off-season as possible.

Weather permitting, I'll be there for all who shows up! One last farewell till next year!

I talked with Terry (Hotdog Guy) on the phone, and he will be out there. I just have to work with Terry (Savery) where would be the best place to do lunch. Because depending on which clubs show up the Double Parkinglot may not be the best venue with the trails closed.

Lets end the year with a great turn out. The $255 donation to help cover the skidsteer loader rental was handed to me today. So we have a large majority of that cost taken care of. So as long as we line up someone to transport the loader, we will be set. This will make for a very productive work day. And that means we will need as many people to show up as possible. With the Bobcat plus the 2 man auger there won't be any such thing as too many people. :beer::driver:

Work Day E-Mail, From Terry Savery

Hi Everyone - Please let me know if your club will be coming up for the work weekend on December 18th and if they'll need campsites. I know it's close to Christmas so if you can't make it this work weekend you can do this planned work later in the winter. We plan on installing several pieces of guardrail on Falls Dam Trail now that the maintenance work is complete. We haven't seen the Zuwharrie folks up this year much so I don't know if they'll be here that weekend or not. If they are not coming up I was wondering if the CNC and NC 4x4 folks would like to work together to install the guardrail on Falls Dam. Slab Pile Trail doesn't need much heavy duty work on it at this time and I know you guys have tractor and auger available too.

For Rocky Mountain Loop, Dickey Bell, Sawmill, Wolf Den, Daniel & Dutch John Trails we have a combination of repairing split rail fencing, cutting hazard trees and installing some pieces of guardrail.

I know the CFSJC will be coming up on December 11th for the bridge ceremony so let me know if you guys are planning on doing a work weekend after that ceremony or coming back on the 18th or later in the winter. Thanks..

We'll be having our chainsaw certifications this winter. One session in January, February & March. Rodney Smith & I will confirm the dates next week when he returns from a fire training and we'll send out a schedule so you can get your 2 club members signed up. We can only have 6 students per class and they will be probably Friday & Saturday sessions. I'll also send out the winter work weekend schedule so your clubs can get signed up for some of the heavier duty work.

Thanks a lot for the hard work you've done this year. We REALLY appreciate it!!! Have a great holiday season!

Rodney, Pete, Jeff, Kelly & Drew - Let me know if you are able to work on December 18th with the OHV Clubs. I plan on working that weekend. Thanks. Bye - Terry
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)
District Recreation Staff Supervisor
National Forests of North Carolina
Uwharrie National Forest
789 NC Hwy 24/27 East

Hey, I don't know if you are still looking for volunteers, but I only live 45 minutes away and would like to help out. The only thing is, I'm not part of a club in NC yet.

Hey, I don't know if you are still looking for volunteers, but I only live 45 minutes away and would like to help out. The only thing is, I'm not part of a club in NC yet.

No problem, I doubt anyone will ask for your membership card :lol:. Many hands make light work...or something like that

As of yet nobody has realized that I'm not in a club yet! We 'll stand together on this!

Man i hate to say, but i aint gonna make it, my girlfreinds son has a grand that i have to work on sat, replacing 3,4 shift selinoind and governer presure selinoid.. i was going to buy them local but i got them for half the price online, i apologize guys

I can pick up beer bottles like no one's business. I'd like to offer my trash pickup skills if someone could haul me around.

My one wheel drive van hardly makes it up the main road. I could meet someone at the Outpost or at one of the trailheads.

I hate sounding like the new guy, but does someone have the address or coordinates to the outpost breakfast?

I hate sounding like the new guy, but does someone have the address or coordinates to the outpost breakfast?

Here is the address to plug into google maps, etc:

4021 Nc Highway 109 North, Troy, NC

The breakfast itself is of course held inside the Outpost, at the very back of the store is usually were we sit.

Another Workday email from Terry Savery:

Hi Everyone - This is the friendly reminder that this Saturday, Dec 18th is our last work weekend for 2010!!! We'll meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am. We'll be working on installing hay bales on Saw Mill Trail and installing guardrail on Falls Dam Trail and taking down some hazard trees on Rocky Mt Loop near the ledge downhill from Kodak Rock. We'll see how many folks come on Saturday and I think we'll break up into 3 or 4 groups to work on the trails. I will be asking some of the clubs to work on trails that they haven't adopted just so we can concentrate on getting the heavy duty work done. Thanks a lot everyone for volunteering this year. We really appreciate it. We'll be sending out the weekend work schedule for the off-season by the first week of January for you all to pick a weekend that would work for your club to come up for one work weekend in the winter.

Rodney & Pete - Please bring chainsaw gear for hazard tree removal. Thanks.

Take care. Bye - Terry

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)
District Recreation Staff Supervisor
National Forests of North Carolina
Uwharrie National Forest
789 NC Hwy 24/27 East
Troy, NC 27371-9332

You can stop in later in the day, only problem is trail passes for the off-season work days are limited. And unlike during the regular season your season pass etc doesn't count. We would have to either see if we could save you a pass (if any are left over) or get you parked and have you meet up with someone that has a pass. Because that trail pass is your key to getting on and off the trails when they are closed. And who knows what color passes they will use this time, they just use old left over passes from years before.

Eli, is there any idea where you need me to set up yet? For anybody coming late this might help them locate the others. I'll set up and cook wherever and when for the workers! Also I will have a Celebrity with me to sign autographs also!

Bobcat is secured, loaded and ready for the trails.

IMG_0225.jpg IMG_0228.jpg

Back