Uwharrie Trail Work Day #5, August 21st

Will you be attending the work day?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is a nice thing to offer ghost, maybe Brian can relay the info to Eli.

I am planing on coming up for some wheleing on this Saturday and was wondering. The hunt camp is at the base of DAniel or over by Art lilly? I was thinking about working with you guys for half a day then wheelinig. What time do you guys usually head out from the hunt camp? What does he need to be on the net again? I have a couple old pc's that might work as a temp fix.

I also have a PC for eli, but I went in the hospital for about a week and slowed me down quite a bit. I'm not sure I'll have my CB going by next weekend either, or have a replacement for the shovel.

Hunt camp is the first parking lot on the fs road southish? of the outpost.

That is a nice thing to offer ghost, maybe Brian can relay the info to Eli.

If I could get a message this weekend I could clean it out by next. :)

I also have a PC for eli, but I went in the hospital for about a week and slowed me down quite a bit. I'm not sure I'll have my CB going by next weekend either, or have a replacement for the shovel.
Hunt camp is the first parking lot on the fs road southish? of the outpost.

Oh yea. I remember now. I acquired a guest today so he might get drug up there to work half a day too. LOL!

unfortunatly I cannot make the trip out to URE for this weekends trail clean up. I have training for Civil Air Patrol All Friday and all Saturday. Kinda bummed since this is the first weekend I will be missing but my friend Tripp, who has never been to any might go this weekend. So he will be there in my place.

Sorry guys.

Gotta work Sat & Sun ... will try & make the next one if possible.

Has anyone talked to Eli?

gonna try him today.

Carolina K-5 will be there to help w/ trash clean up on Sat. morning, and we'll try not to be late like last time.

No word from fs terry yet.

Email I got from Terry:

Jeff Greene & Pete Powell will be working with you again this weekend. For the different trails here's the overall workplan. If you can't come this weekend or if you're only up for cleaning up trash that's ok just let me know so we can work out the coordination and supplies needed. If you're volunteering this weekend meet Pete & Jeff at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am. They'll have day passes for folks that don't have any and they'll have sign up sheets for you to sign in on. If your clubs is coming up but are going to concentrate on picking up trash, putting up trail markers, and using the hand tools to clean out the tail ditches then you can meet send folks to Janet's at Arrowhead to get day passes and to get trash bags, diamonds, & tools. Please let me know what your club plans to do so Pete & Jeff know who they are meeting at Hunt Camp.

Rocky Mt Loop - CROC -- There are sections of hog wire fencing still up along the trail. We'd like you to take those pieces down and haul it off to Dutch John Parking Lot where we'll take it in from there in the dump truck. Please bring wire cutters and if you have a trailer you can use on the trail to haul the wire fencing out with that would be great. Also, please pick up an trash and put up trail markers as needed. The contractors are still working on the trail. We need to have them fix a couple of things they didn't really block off the way we wanted them too but they won't be on the trails this weekend so you should be able to get the stuff taken care up.

Falls Dam - Zuwharrie??? & NC 4x4 - For this weekend we're again only looking at trash clean up at campsites and along trail, reblazing, clearing out the tail ditches with hand tools, and any tree clearing on the trail as needed. The contractors haven't started work on this trail yet so we're not ready to put the guardrail up that is flagged out. Zuwharrie folks are you guys still coming up for your volunteer time? We haven't seen or heard from you in while. Please let me know. If most of your clubs is on active duty and you guys need to take a break please let me know that so we're not left wondering what's happened to you. NC 4x4 has been helping a lot and can probably coordinate something with them to help you out. Thanks.

Dutch John - CORE & Carolina Broncos - If you're coming up you'll be working with Pete Powell. There are some sections of guardrail to put up. We need to get 2 pieces put up near the last corduroy crossing you guys worked on with us this past winter/spring. Folks have moved the trees and slash we used to block off an old road that goes along the creek that is not on the designated OHV trail system. If you'll be here this weekend please let me know about how many folks you'll have. If you have access to a pull behind auger or something bigger than a hand auger with a 9 inch auger that would be great. The area is rocky if you recall. You can contact NC 4x4 and see if they would like to work on Dutch John with you this weekend and test out their new auger. We'd also have you guys clean up any debris from corduroy crossings that aren't working and that we dismantled and we might have you tighten up some of the crossings we didn't get to in the spring. Jason - We haven't heard from you since your club signed up to be volunteers. Please let CORE & me know if your club will be coming up this weekend or not and if you are how many are coming. If you can't come up this weekend please work with your club and get ready to come up on the Sept 18th work weekend.

Daniel - Carolina Jeepsters - If you're coming up you'll be working with Jeff Greene. Let me know if you'd prefer to wait until it's cooler in Sept & Oct to do the guardrail work. I think it would be best to wait until then to do that work. There were 4 or 5 hazard trees that I flagged a month or 2 back that Pete said you weren't able to get to. I'd like those to be taken care of and reduce those hazards out there. The one's he can't fell off the trail I'll have him buck them up and then your club can move them off the trail. He'll need your club members to act as flaggers to stop traffic while he's cutting these trees because they're in the middle of the trail or right on the edge of it. Jeff - Please check out and see if there are any other hazard trees that should be taken down this weekend while you're up there.

Wolf Den - Olde North State - There are sections of split rail fence up that need to be reset and nailed back together. Bring hammers and crow bars and meet up with Pete & Jeff at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp and they'll give you nails and 2 hand augers to use for resetting the posts for you to fix up the fence sections. Also on Wolf Den we're looking for trash clean up at campsites & along trail, reblazing, clearing out the tail ditches with hand tools, and any tree clearing on the trail as needed.

Sawmill - Palmetto Jeep Club & CTB - We've flagged an option for the reroute of Sawmill Trail. If you guys come up this weekend the yellow flagging marks potential reroute. I'm hoping that we'll have a reroute finalized and decided upon this fall and then when it gets constructed we'd have you help us with cleaning up and restoring the old trail and blazing the new trail. This future work will need a lot of folks to help us out for a couple different weekends but unfortunately we don't have any big stuff needed for this weekend. For this weekend on Sawmill we're looking for trash clean up at campsites & along trail, reblazing, clearing out the tail ditches with hand tools, and any tree clearing on the trail as needed.

Slab Pile - CNC - This weekend we're looking for trash clean up at campsites & along trail, reblazing, clearing out the tail ditches with hand tools, and any tree clearing on the trail as needed.

Dickey Bell - CFSJC - This weekend we're looking for trash clean up at campsites & along trail, reblazing, clearing out the tail ditches with hand tools, and any tree clearing on the trail as needed.

I will not be at URE this weekend. Got a call from my parents that they are in AIken. So since they are from FLorida and we don't get to see them that often I'll be taking the boys to go see them instead this weekend.

CFSJC will be there with 4-6 folks.

Eli, make sure you have room for a Dell Tower.

It'll have a gig of ram and like a 2.8 or 3.0ghz cpu and an 80gb hard drive. It'll have XP on it and get on the net.

I think it even has PCIe on it.

I can't promise it'll last forever, but it should get you going for a while.

Your voicemailbox is full.

See you Sat.:beer:

I don't think I'll get my CB installed before Sat.:shaking:

Thanks JC. I also have my SWR meter loaded in the burban, please bring with you what it takes to adjust YOUR antenna and make sure your antenna is grounded please. Hope to be a good group this weekend.

Thanks JC. I also have my SWR meter loaded in the burban, please bring with you what it takes to adjust YOUR antenna and make sure your antenna is grounded please. Hope to be a good group this weekend.

Terry, it was me that asked about the swr meter. I don't think I'll get the cb installed in time. I hope your meter is a small one and not one of those big honkin ones since you have everything loaded up including a sink.:lol:

I dunno where the time goes.:confused:

I am going to come down and help with the work day. This will be my first work day so be easy on me.

Eli, make sure you have room for a Dell Tower.
It'll have a gig of ram and like a 2.8 or 3.0ghz cpu and an 80gb hard drive. It'll have XP on it and get on the net.
I think it even has PCIe on it.
I can't promise it'll last forever, but it should get you going for a while.
Your voicemailbox is full.
See you Sat.:beer:
I don't think I'll get my CB installed before Sat.:shaking:

If that hd isn't big enough I got a Maxtor 320gb hdd ide connection if you want, just let me know, just collecting dust cuz all my stuff runs sata now

ncsutj, welcome to the group. I'll be at the Outpost for breakfast at 8:00 am. Join us for a handshake and a chat, just ask for me at the cash register.

I made it just before 9AM so I missed out on breakfast, but at least I made it out. Thanks to everyone that showed up, we had a turn out of about 7, which isn't bad at all. The Forest Service was amazed at the overall turn out, which is great. We only picked up trash and put up trail diamonds but it was a nice sized work load. Trash total including the metal stuff we had approx 10 bags worth of trash if not a little more.

Big thanks to Brian for getting me a PC and back online here. Sorry for my extended absence but my other dead PC is still that, dead. Thanks again to everyone that showed up and make this hot summer work day a success. Can't wait to see everyone at the next work day. :beer:

the only picture i took of the group
ai900.photobucket.com_albums_ac207_Hammockman_IMG_6069.jpg

We had a great time and picked up about 4 bags of trash.
ai205.photobucket.com_albums_bb135_lisacraig1296_URE_20August_202010_100_2304.jpg

Back