Uwharrie...Someone needs help

Yea your roll from the left hand turn was almost identical except the 9 times backwards endo down the left line.
That was a scary ass day. But at least y'all were buckled in and the exo held up.

It was real scary, and my buddy has never gone four wheeling since. I am a huge advocate of seat belts worn at all times when in the rig (I only had stock seats and belts) and a cage around the driver/passenger compartment, these two thing literally saved our lives that day.

What was he wheeling that day

See the "White Noise" link in my sig. 93 ZJ with too flexy of a suspension and no sway bars. Thank goodness for M&M Offroad Exo cage

As for buying it back and replacing the cab, I don't know if I would be able to afford that either, I guess it would depend on what they give me for it, what they want for a buy back, what a replacement cab would run, and whether I could find a cheap dependable beater to drive whilst fixing the Wagon.

Main thing is- I don't yet know if insurance is going to pay for anything at all! I am going to have to see what happens there!
FYI the rule in NC is that, IF totaled, you can buy it back for 20% of the declared (paid) value. So if they declare it at $6k, you can buy it back for $1200. Generally that's just taken off of the payout amount. So you walk away with $4800 and a salvaged title.
They *have* to let you do it if you want, they just might not bring it up.

(I went through this a couple times)

It was real scary, and my buddy has never gone four wheeling since. I am a huge advocate of seat belts worn at all times when in the rig (I only had stock seats and belts) and a cage around the driver/passenger compartment, these two thing literally saved our lives that day.
Man thats not good to hear ya scared your friend off.

I don't think anyone has video of that but I do have a few pics of the recovery.
Sorry for the hijack.
Yep found a pic of your old rig. Your last roll dropped on the driver front tire so hard... I remember now.
-OWxS_-q_yYcyP_u_KvkEHcJu7wbkk9Yij6Aqviiv7Isu238hW012mvAjagN9fIFKEU7Sqvp2I7w3ERHdRWbhPeJLDKOn0Mv_BhzrO6I0S2deOop3ttCLmzrScXlj8UegaugpNb9Bj7gjFHx5lgiPc3CoryyQZd8ESYduT-AKQwZvurQ5gfBHjs21JirAYkKQ2zgqyKBcUHMUBPN5Ny63hArECAldoU2VJ-Y3aL2dsnKy9lISroGsKmjwIZ1p2hoid3Fcpu4zpi8Jf_m0Ax2l8xmprUPwho5NmgIq3aDRMA1dDuHd3XS0xpAnpamkzlaGuuCX1zj0FWjV3bOFC6nsMvBHf1FrCzehgGvmrDMP-YW3ETcocCYlWRnar4gkgOadBAmoQw5mzRXSX9v_YGk8bwBTWEYTC6xMpekR-NP2yuZmJBwX_88zdxnRQUtmaf5OGgCYpeuBvo8ZvLYJK4vEGVhpvm6SbMp7WMEh8x3pzlT0uH1X8ZrCZu-0--zrDBmnH7hobxIzlbQSsijloYXtwgAm-1TUyG3vegepy4DrYDYrJQYvHul78IkBgjWHElFXGxdB82yHfQ1blZuzgqNxc27h5UsqecPObUHobzzg9bfrDEgLmfYyPPkOfkviBLB_wmTWXbf8i_Xt1C0cRtVdHNeGm53BR-lmyoRCgAgU7R3kg=w1000-no

You can see how far you flipped down from where my brother's jeep is uphill with the winch cable.
that was one hell of a roll.

rXNeZbl8x4K_AOfwBEMauo-x9mL0xvgAFMpPQT75NowZj8_xzCSkboOS1v12h3mtqeedVDNvryBXmPn4TSFIBGmINpzrFGsHfmBK1huqhijhZF3j7GLdHaE3ZNwgu8cfHClJlV4bphA6FTFh6ZHxkrHdoBzIgcWEu5dE6AXog6eV_8z7-k2GxwMNpG-ozdxLXROWebgvlTMPEJiD8U53vNFeo7fRXgEhOs48xyoCEXVt8NvGu_bL2mc_K2kF0AxEZxjleS7gyeIfAjhilUh6rsy4aPX9mnpEcu0OWK158c2_bC7yQLOCMS8G8VM55Nc0iZytDC8FsBMbuXQEeDhvdyKPFC1vzLKGIGmW_LAGJleh7nLqiPeOKhsyQpVd8zguFlZrjC4VHgqXxfxZh-FN-t3AYPDnQVgoPYftDDRGhFe2PjrSDJLEJ_JAJa344u-udmFBhOj5eH4tYQko0GMWegceE9e4hqS7A6Tl-wlXdHtnR8wVwgt0JLBVGwdTThliHkogQAGecsrFS0fxAwuOPAyh1Y4qKPSLvY4LfpzsN0FHPO63HSIUc8LeORWmGNN6VMgGbxSXQ-kg8Moiy9bWRP_d3jaVnWlioNAk8V__uwAu4sNovs6wAnR9CSxStgG_IcaGzhIdOe3jtuOyZIYO_VMsqZBK2MWrt17TtpiY2K8a_w=w1000

Last edited:
@87GMCJimmy Glad you are ok Morgan!! That could have been really bad. Poor Trail Whale...

So you going to post pics of the wife's new minivan sitting in the driveway or what?? What color she pick out for you?:D

Glad everyone was okay during the rollover and recovery. My heart goes out to Morgan. I suspect he liked his truck as much as I do mine!

Morgan it's too bad we didn't get a chance to meet up on the trails. I've been wheeling my power wagon from day one also. There's nothing like seeing a power wagon on the trail especially trails like Daniel then driving it home. I must admit I didn't realize someone else's truck was being called the trail whale also? In any case good luck and Please PM me if you stick with the power wagon.

Crazy question but I hear the newer power wagon owners complaining about descent control. Any chance that played a part once you started to tip?

Last edited:
Dammit!!!! I just realized I know you as ram4rocks on the power wagon site! And we have met up a few times!

Yup!!!! Hey man, sorry I missed your post! Yeah, my Wagon also got the nickname Trail Whale years ago by my Jeep buddies. I actually didn't know until after I rolled it that yours had the same nickname, LOL! My Wagon did not have descent control, it's the 2014 and newer that do. I don't have the final numbers yet but, looks like insurance buy back is too high for me to be able to afford to buy it back and fix it whilst still buying an Accord or some such as a daily to make my wife happy, really makes me sad as I loved my Wagon!!! I've got an idea of how I'd want to rebuild it (regular cab swap and a custom flatbed) that would work out awesome for the stuff that I regularly did with it (trail work and event support) but, at the pricing they want for it and the pricing I am seeing on the body parts I would need, it's simply not in the cards for me $$$ wise. IDK exactly what I am going to do.

It's usually 20% of its value. Don't let them screw you! Hell, if it's paid for it's yours anyway.

Yup!!!! Hey man, sorry I missed your post! Yeah, my Wagon also got the nickname Trail Whale years ago by my Jeep buddies. I actually didn't know until after I rolled it that yours had the same nickname, LOL! My Wagon did not have descent control, it's the 2014 and newer that do. I don't have the final numbers yet but, looks like insurance buy back is too high for me to be able to afford to buy it back and fix it whilst still buying an Accord or some such as a daily to make my wife happy, really makes me sad as I loved my Wagon!!! I've got an idea of how I'd want to rebuild it (regular cab swap and a custom flatbed) that would work out awesome for the stuff that I regularly did with it (trail work and event support) but, at the pricing they want for it and the pricing I am seeing on the body parts I would need, it's simply not in the cards for me $$$ wise. IDK exactly what I am going to do.

Is your insurance actually going to cover it? I thought if I incurred damage due to 4 wheeling my insurance company would tell me to go pack sand.

Insurance did cover it! I bought a new Golf Sportwagen as a DD and am looking for a beater to wheel. (per agreement with my wife- had to buy a practical daily and cannot wheel another new vehicle) Looking at possibly buying a 96 Regular cab F350 as a trail rig. Have gotten used to the hauling capabilities of an HD pickup as a wheeling rig so, I think it’s the way to go. 460/ZF-5/BW1356/D60/S10.25 so, add a 4” lift and some fender cutting and it should allow the 37” Pitbulls I had waiting to bolt on the Trail Whale to go on. Has some hail damage so, it’s already pre dented for me, lmao!!! Hopefully be going to look at it the middle of November.

Buy back price for the Wagon was going to be too high for me to be able to afford to fix it to get it back on the trail.

Insurance did cover it! I bought a new Golf Sportwagen as a DD and am looking for a beater to wheel. (per agreement with my wife- had to buy a practical daily and cannot wheel another new vehicle) Looking at possibly buying a 96 Regular cab F350 as a trail rig. Have gotten used to the hauling capabilities of an HD pickup as a wheeling rig so, I think it’s the way to go. 460/ZF-5/BW1356/D60/S10.25 so, add a 4” lift and some fender cutting and it should allow the 37” Pitbulls I had waiting to bolt on the Trail Whale to go on. Has some hail damage so, it’s already pre dented for me, lmao!!! Hopefully be going to look at it the middle of November.

Buy back price for the Wagon was going to be too high for me to be able to afford to fix it to get it back on the trail.
please do tell how that conversation w/ insurance played out.

please do tell how that conversation w/ insurance played out.

Honestly, pretty uneventful (thankfully!!!!), just told them what happened, they asked where it was, told them where I had parked it, and they said they’d send an estimator out to look at it. Sorry it’s not a cooler story, lol!!! (though I’m glad it’s not a more dramatic tale!) Very simple and straightforward. Actually, everybody I dealt with was very pleasant about everything!

Good to hear. Standard cab will be shorter, but still Big! It will fit UWH! I understand the Haul mode.

It’s a tough balance to strike, I want the heavy duty aspect where I don’t have to worry much about what weight I throw in it and I like the full-size so I have plenty of space for things but, I don’t like the sacrifice to maneuverability that’s inherent to a full-size. But, my budget dictates that the only way I can afford to have one ton axles under a rig is to buy a one ton rig, lol! So, an F350 fits the bill. The regular cab will help out a lot in terms of ability to get through tight trails! I’ll miss being able to carry passengers with me but, 90% of the time it was just me or maybe me and one other person in the Trail Whale anyway. The larger bed (8’ instead of the Trail Whale’s 6.333’) is going to be awesome for doing trail maintenance and helping with events BUT, I may end up bobbing it or eventually swapping to a short bed and cutting the frame just to get a more manageable rig size to tackle harder trail systems. (or heck, who knows, may end up with a tube bed, full Truggy style, years from now, lol! (first, we’ll see how things go with the full 8’ bed though!!!)) Looking forward to having an off-road rig (and a pickup!) again, been almost two months without one already! I really miss the Power Wagon!

It’s a tough balance to strike, I want the heavy duty aspect where I don’t have to worry much about what weight I throw in it and I like the full-size so I have plenty of space for things but, I don’t like the sacrifice to maneuverability that’s inherent to a full-size. But, my budget dictates that the only way I can afford to have one ton axles under a rig is to buy a one ton rig, lol! So, an F350 fits the bill. The regular cab will help out a lot in terms of ability to get through tight trails! I’ll miss being able to carry passengers with me but, 90% of the time it was just me or maybe me and one other person in the Trail Whale anyway. The larger bed (8’ instead of the Trail Whale’s 6.333’) is going to be awesome for doing trail maintenance and helping with events BUT, I may end up bobbing it or eventually swapping to a short bed and cutting the frame just to get a more manageable rig size to tackle harder trail systems. (or heck, who knows, may end up with a tube bed, full Truggy style, years from now, lol! (first, we’ll see how things go with the full 8’ bed though!!!)) Looking forward to having an off-road rig (and a pickup!) again, been almost two months without one already! I really miss the Power Wagon!
Yeah, before I got to the end of this post I was thinking, why not remove the bed and/or bob it and just get a utility trailer for when you need to haul stuff.

Yeah, before I got to the end of this post I was thinking, why not remove the bed and/or bob it and just get a utility trailer for when you need to haul stuff.

For the time being, a big reason is $$$. (that reason currently rules out both extensive mods to the new rig AND the purchase of a trail capable trailer) Though the Power Wagon was paid off, I’ve still got a lot of stuff on my financial plate at the moment right now so (assuming I do get the truck), the bed is staying as Ford intended for the foreseeable future. Also, I hate being without the utility of a pickup. Although I agree that a trailer can recoup a lot of lost utility, IMHO it still cannot match the convenience of a pickup.

Ideally, I’d love to have two off-road capable rigs, one a pickup with full bed intact and one a truggy, that way I have a vehicle for any occasion off-road, lol! But, I don’t think that’s ever going to be in the cards so, my one rig will be a balancing act of utility vs capability.

My buddy text me a link to the ole trail whale on an insurance auction and said "well i guess they covered it". This confirms that theory lol.

My buddy text me a link to the ole trail whale on an insurance auction and said "well i guess they covered it". This confirms that theory lol.

Do you have the link to that auction? I am sure someone might want to buy it from here.

Back