Uwharrie...Someone needs help

Yup. Was a bad line on my part. I was on the harder portion and tried a couple times and thought it would be safer/more expedient to transition down to the easier portion. (backed down significantly from where I had gotten to before this video started) Limited visibility when headed uphill (large hood) yielded me not realizing just how large the drop off was. (ironically my choice to transition to the path where I ended up on my lid was made in an effort to avoid risk of damage) Big mistake on my part. Had a fun day riding up until that point though!!!

There was an initial recovery attempt that proved unsuccessful but then- thanks to the efforts of quite a few folks (OVERT team, Monkeys, and several others) we were able to get the Trail Whale upright and able to travel under its own power again. (including a run to get ATF (thanks Lou!!!!)) Given the weight of my rig, it was a very complicated recovery since it was maxing out winches even with snatchblocks and dual lines.

With a spotter, I was able to make it up the hillclimb and then drive the Wagon completely out of the trail and back to 109. Definitely a challenge with only one headlight (completely busted) working, a shattered windshield, and a caved roof! Got out and done at 1am. There were a goodly number of folks who stayed the whole time to make sure I got out!!!

Thank you to everyone involved in the recovery effort!!!! Much appreciated!!!! I have to say that I am truly impressed by and indebted to those who chose to stick around up there for nearly 9 hours total to get my truck off of the trail!!!! Really awesome folks, everyone that helped me out!!!! Thank you so much everyone!!!!!

Last edited:
Yup. Was a bad line on my part. I was on the harder portion and tried a couple times and thought it would be safer/more expedient to transition down to the easier portion. (backed down significantly from where I had gotten to before this video started) Limited visibility when headed uphill (large hood) yielded me not realizing just how large the drop off was. (ironically my choice to transition to the path where I ended up on my lid was made in an effort to avoid risk of damage) Big mistake on my part. Had a fun day riding up until that point though!!!

There was an initial recovery attempt that proved unsuccessful but then- thanks to the efforts of quite a few folks (OVERT team, Monkeys, and several others) we were able to get the Trail Whale upright and able to travel under its own power again. (including a run to get ATF (thanks Lou!!!!)) Given the weight of my rig, it was a very complicated recovery since it was maxing out winches even with snatchblocks and dual lines.

With a spotter, I was able to make it up the hillclimb and then drive the Wagon completely out of the trail and back to 109. Definitely a challenge with only one headlight (completely busted) working, a shattered windshield, and a caved roof! Got out and done at 1am. There were a goodly number of folks who stayed the whole time to make sure I got out!!!

Thank you to everyone involved in the recovery effort!!!! Much appreciated!!!! I have to say that I am truly impressed by and indebted to those who chose to stick around up there for nearly 9 hours total to get my truck off of the trail!!!! Really awesome folks, everyone that helped me out!!!! Thank you so much everyone!!!!!
Dang it boy, Glad you are ok. Thought you were smarter than that. haha

I Feel Morgan, on the Big Hood! The new or later style Chevy's are just as bad. Mine is 1500 4x4 stock, but I can't see the right front & have nearly hit ditches & curbs,making a right turn. You Just can't tell where your at. And even the stock mirrors & windshield post, are a BLIND Spot. When trying to pull out & looking right, if another vehicle is at a 90 degree from you, there in the Huge Blind spot! I have Much better vision out of my Dump Truck!

So when will it get posted on the take me on your buggy on its side thread? Indecently could you swap the cab? Or are the PW cabs unique?

I Feel Morgan, on the Big Hood! The new or later style Chevy's are just as bad. Mine is 1500 4x4 stock, but I can't see the right front & have nearly hit ditches & curbs,making a right turn. You Just can't tell where your at. And even the stock mirrors & windshield post, are a BLIND Spot. When trying to pull out & looking right, if another vehicle is at a 90 degree from you, there in the Huge Blind spot! I have Much better vision out of my Dump Truck!

Exactly, the lack of visibility can make things VERY difficult at times!!! I would always find myself needing to memorize the trail ahead due to not being able to see anything when I'd get onto an area.

So when will it get posted on the take me on your buggy on its side thread? Indecently could you swap the cab? Or are the PW cabs unique?

PW cab is the same. Frame is a different part number due to skidplate mount provisions. I would love to build it into a buggy but I don't have the finances to swing a build, the labor costs would be through the roof as I don't have sufficient skills to design and build a buggy myself. I will say, with a sectioning to shorten the frame, cutting away all the damage, adding tube, seats, and harnesses, it would make an awesome buggy!!!! Basically make a firewall and floorboard only truggy, would be amazing!

As for buying it back and replacing the cab, I don't know if I would be able to afford that either, I guess it would depend on what they give me for it, what they want for a buy back, what a replacement cab would run, and whether I could find a cheap dependable beater to drive whilst fixing the Wagon.

Main thing is- I don't yet know if insurance is going to pay for anything at all! I am going to have to see what happens there!

Damn Morgan sorry to hear that. If I'd have known I'd have come to help you out. Well if you do get it back maybe you could part it out and get your money back or use the parts on another trail rig.

FYI I just came into possession of a suburban body and frame I'll sell to you real cheap if you need it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know a guy that also got owned at the top of Daniel... :(
Yea your roll from the left hand turn was almost identical except the 9 times backwards endo down the left line.
That was a scary ass day. But at least y'all were buckled in and the exo held up.

Morgan, hate it for ya. RIP trail whale.
At least you guys were okay and wasn't super violent.
Now's the time to Truggy that thing.

Yea your roll from the left hand turn was almost identical except the 9 times backwards endo down the left line.
That was a scary ass day. But at least y'all were buckled in and the exo held up.

Morgan, hate it for ya. RIP trail whale.
At least you guys were okay and wasn't super violent.
Now's the time to Truggy that thing.
What was he wheeling that day

Back