Uwharrie National Forest - Art Lilley Memorial Camp Ground - Info

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger

When I was looking for information on camping there a while back. No one was able to point me to any pics or info about it other than it's open. So my last trip there I took some pics. I feel the pics best describe the place. Since I tend to arrive places at night, I took some shots of the entrance area to assist others in successfully navigating there in the dark.

This is a summary from the UNF web site please update if there are any corrections/changes.
* The campground is primitive.
* No additional charge IF you have a current/valid trail pass.
* Tent camping areas around the outside of the perimeter.
* Information board
* ATV/Cycle unloading ramp
* Trash bins

We miss you Art....
URE-NF-Art-Lilley-Memorial-Campground03.jpg

Pic Approaching the split:
LEFT = Falls Dam Trail Head parking lot
CENTER = Falls Dam Trail
RIGHT = Art Lilley Memorial Campground
URE-NF-Art-Lilley-Memorial-Campground01.jpg

Closer shot of LEFT and CENTER of the fork
URE-NF-Art-Lilley-Memorial-Campground02.jpg

Some more pics of the campground...

Driving in.. Pic of Left to Center
URE-NF-Art-Lilley-Memorial-Campground04.jpg

from my camper from center to right corner
URE-NF-Art-Lilley-Memorial-Campground05.jpg

from my camper from left to center
URE-NF-Art-Lilley-Memorial-Campground06.jpg

From my camper looking back at the entrance way.

To the LEFT is the exit path
To the RIGHT heads to the TRAIL (access to FALLS DAMN PARKING LOT via TRAIL also)

URE-NF-Art-Lilley-Memorial-Campground07.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for info on the Uwahrrie website and couldn't find anything, and then didn't see it while running the trails either.

Now with RestRooms !!!!

The rest rooms were all but brand new.

20090704-URE 001.jpg

On a side note, the outhouse building is made from a giant concrete form. Its all one piece ! The 'siding' on the outside is molded in and painted.. Was very cool and looked to be low maintenance.. Only bad part was there was NO vents up top to help let some heat out.. I used a rock while I was in there to prop the door open for the 1 min trips... Even that made a huge difference... Made the trip a little nicer..

Oh and watch out for the base ball sized hornets nest hanging under the sign board... I almost got it by not paying attention !!!!

We put those toilets in about 2 weeks ago and were really unsure if the crane was going to make it in. It was a tight fit for a 105,000 lb crane. Like yager said, there some pretty good primitive spots around the parking lot, but the grass is grown up pretty tall around it. Ill see if I can get out there and mow some of that grass next week. Its a great spot to park and is at least as big as the 553 parking lot but its not very popular yet because it is new. It would be a good place to park and not worry about traffic from a road spliting the parking lot too. We just out some grass mats out too so the place should start to look better in the coming weeks.

Art Lilley was a member of my unit. I had no idea this was even out here. Thank you for the posting. I will be putting some of these pics up in our Hallway at work.

For all of you out there when you see this sign, make sure you know what this guy really did. Though I didn't know him I've heard great things about him and what he did.

Art was a great guy and you missed your chance at meeting a REAL man. I am proud to say I knew him.

x2^infinity - He was the real deal, as I'm sure many good soldiers are.

Yes! Please take and use the pics any way you like...

I am so old I knew Art when he FIRST joined the military. LOL I was an Instructor at one of the courses he went through and he got me into the Zu thing.

Thanks for the pics, haven't made it back since the dedication. I got you all trumps on knowing him. I knew him from birth. Works that way with brothers.

You need to come back out. Lots of stories to tell:popcorn:
Its was on the list for the Spring Zu but the hospital stay kinda killed that. Possible Fall Zu this year but nothing in stone yet.

Edit:Just saw the dates for the Fall event. Little chilly to be riding the bike 1600 miles, looks like it may be spring before I head that way again.

As a co-founder of Zuwharrie.com and more importantly, a close friend of Art Lilley, I can honestly say that there are very few things I've done in my life that I am prouder of than my family's and Zuwharrie's involvement in the naming and building of this campground. I could type forever about the man and the effect he had on my life, the lives of my family and the lives thousands of other people, offroaders, military members and civilians. The best thing I can say here is I was and am proud to call him my friend. Thank you to the people who have helped improve this campground and keep it a nice place to honor our friend.
I'll try to get some fall pics of the campground while we're up there at our Zuwharrie event this coming weekend!
Dashek, I'll be looking for you in the spring!
R/T

Art Lilley was a member of my unit. I had no idea this was even out here. Thank you for the posting. I will be putting some of these pics up in our Hallway at work.
For all of you out there when you see this sign, make sure you know what this guy really did. Though I didn't know him I've heard great things about him and what he did.
Tell us.

I never knew Msg. Lilley, but it sounds like a lot of you did. And he sounds like a guy I would've liked to meet.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v639_Trebissky_Smilies_Military_armyguy.gif

Mike,

I'm part of the 752 family currently retired now, I was there at FOB Lilley next to him when he left all of us to eternal life. He loved the off road sport so much he’d always bragged about his Suzuki. I want to thank you for all what you guys have done to honor my Team Daddy, Friend and Brother Arturo. He is always remembered and it was an Honor serving with him!

From Afghanistan,
He's Never Forgotten
Abuelo

When I was looking for information on camping there a while back. No one was able to point me to any pics or info about it other than it's open. So my last trip there I took some pics. I feel the pics best describe the place. Since I tend to arrive places at night, I took some shots of the entrance area to assist others in successfully navigating there in the dark.

This is a summary from the UNF web site please update if there are any corrections/changes.
* The campground is primitive.
* No additional charge IF you have a current/valid trail pass.
* Tent camping areas around the outside of the perimeter.
* Information board
* ATV/Cycle unloading ramp
* Trash bins

We miss you Art....
View attachment 14551

Pic Approaching the split:
LEFT = Falls Dam Trail Head parking lot
CENTER = Falls Dam Trail
RIGHT = Art Lilley Memorial Campground
View attachment 14549

Closer shot of LEFT and CENTER of the fork
View attachment 14550

Thinking about camping here in a couple weeks if the shutdown is over. How is accessible is the campground /parking lot? I have an 05 dually 2wd towing a 32 ft weekend warrior 5th wheel so it's fairly tall (like 13ft). Just wondering if its feasible to camp here with my set up.

Jb

Plenty of room for it. Art Lilley should still be open since it's part of the trail sys. The only thing is the bathrooms and trash cans will not be serviced till the guberment is back open.

Thanks for the info. How's the road leading into the parking lot (ruts, low hanging trees, width, etc.)? That was my main concern.

Road is fine into there. It is 2 vehicle wide for most of it going into there. One stretch where it is narrow, and the ruts / tress are not bad. Might be a few low hanging branches but i have seen big trailers back there numerous times.

Awesome...sounds like I will be fine. Thanks for the info.

Back