Uwharrie 4x4Cross Questions & Answers - Old Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackangus01

We realize there are a ton of questions out there. We want to answer all of them. We can't do it all at once. Not all of the content is on the website yet. We didn't expect the onslaught of threads. But we're totally stoked. So be patient with us, we'll get to ya. I can't stress enough that if you want answers, email us @ events@americanwheeler.com.

Hey guys, I'm on the phone with Sean-D now. He will be collecting and answering ALL the questions that have been asked. I've asked him a ton myself and have been assured that will all be address.

KEEP THIS THREAD FOR QUESTIONS ONLY, ANSWERS WILL BE POSTED. (Any BS will be moved to the other thread)

Give him time to answer, I don't think he was expecting the NC4x4 mafia to unload on him.

First of all I want to say thanks for all the interest. It's AWESOME. But most importantly, this event is all about you guys! All of us normal dudes that don't have $200k crawlers. Everybody says they want more events. Real events. So here it is. We've done all the ground work (permits, insurance, medical personnel, staff,etc). Granted not all of the content is on the website but it will be soon. So from here, I'm gonna start posting answers in categories. and answering you questions. Realize, I do have a job, a wife and a 4 month old baby boy, so it won't always be lightning speed responses. Here we go.

Will there be any lee way on the tire size in the unlimited class? The 44" tire limit knocks out alot of local guys?

Are you working with the forest service on this? Will the trails be closed during, or what? What are you doing in the way of advertising?

This is a genuine question.
The $10,000 prize is definitely a BIG draw, as are all the other high-dollar winnings. That's just a snotload of cash!
It seems that a lot of work/thought has been put into this already. However, I wonder...
I assume the high entry fees are to cover these expenses.
Did you research/consider whether you might draw a larger entry crowd and interest by being able to lower the entry fees a bit to something more reasonable for us everyday guys who will be scrimping enough just to be prepared for the broken parts, at the expense of a lower top prize (e.g., "only" $5k)?
Saving only $5k could knock > $30 off each entry fee.

I'm just wondering if you will have a problem if 160 people don't sign up b/c they're scared of the cost.

Considering we-rock/uroc event entry fees are around $400 or more per event on top of your membership dues and a single event's class purse is typically much less than $10k (excluding supercrawl)...it would seem like something doesn't add up. Why not guarantee a percentage of the class entry fees rather than an actual number (that you may not even make for the whole event)?

i've got a question about the A-class, you say no large cut-outs, can you clarify? i've hammered up my rear fenderwell on my xj as well as cutting the front fender up. i'm on 32" tires and a 1" lift, i'd really like to be in the stock class so i can beat that thing to hell and actually have a chance

It is free @ Uwharrie. The festival is at Kings point and and all the vendors will be there along with food, music and other activities. That is what you are paying for. Along with the cost of insurance, the crew of dozens of people that will be running the event, the full time medical response team, and so on. This is a legitimate event and it costs a great deal of money to throw. Not to mention the national advertising in 3 of the best 4 wheel mags which we are slated to be in in April.
Where's this Kings point you speak of? Is this gonna be the base of operations for this event? Are competitors on their own for camping/lodging, or is the group camp @URE reserved?

Q) Where do I park my truck and trailer ? If for the day or over nite ? (ties in with below )

Q) Camping ? You mentioned trail side camping. I'd prefer to stay with my truck and trailer. Or if I drive my jeep down, I'd like a 'spot' other than trail side to put my doors, and camping supplies, other than setting out in the woods somewhere.

Q) You mentioned the camp sites. Typically on any given weekend they are 1/2 booked by boaters and other folks using UNF. Will there be fields or other 'open' camping areas available ?

Q) Day parking - If lodging is left to us, where do I park/unload for the day ? Will there be room for big trucks/trailers ? (Semi trucks/RVs/Campers etc.)

Q) On the phone you mentioned a shuttle bus type service for remote parking ? Can you elaborate on that ?

Q) You mentioned food - More details please ? Just during the event or for the entire weekend, morning-> evening

Q) You mentioned entertainment as part of the spectator fee. Details ? Also you mentioned it be at the staging area (Kings something or other)

Is the 44" tire limit by the markings on the side of the tire or by an actual measurement? Cause My tires only have 18.5-16.1 on them and if you take a tape measure to them it can be subjective . . . .

Why the 44" limit? just call it an OPEN class, run what ya brung.

I agree with above, but another question I just thought of, If I were to preregister and when the event comes around and by some unfortunate event my rig is incapacitated, am I still stuck paying the entry fee? cause thats a good bit of time from now and my junk breaks every other day, and I'm in college so the entry fee is quite a commitment for me especially if end up not being able to race . . . . .

btw, I can promote the event on facebook for you as well if you like, I do that for some of the larger events that I go to, and it seems to draw a good bit of college age people out to events, especially when I did it for the 4wparts grand opening a few months ago.

Questions:
1. Is this going to be timed like an auto-cross? with the intent to be hitting designated timing?
2. How'd you get away with doing something this big? (not just a question but a left-handed compliment)
3. How are you going to keep the trail fleas (ATVs) out?

Why no phone number or no name and contact listed on the web.
Most promoters want there name and numbers out so that people can call and get info or set up to be a vendor?
How do vendors get up with you and are you going to start a vender page and list.
What is your vender and sponsor cost what do they get.
Are you Bonded so if the show does not go on all venders and sponsors and entry money is repaid less fee for ads and other print fees, TV and so on....

Most promoters want there name and numbers out so that people can call and get info or set up to be a vendor?
How do vendors get up with you and are you going to start a vender page and list.
Are you Bonded so if the show does not go on all venders and sponsors and entry money is repaid less fee for ads and other print fees, TV and so on....
:popcorn:

Are you working with the forest service on this? Will the trails be closed during, or what? What are you doing in the way of advertising?
Definitely working with the Forest Service on this event. Can't make a move with out them. :)
Trails will not be closed during the event, since its goverment land. :( But we will be 'marking' the event trails.
Advertising will be local papers / radio / national mag's / internet... Definitely advertising. :)

This is a genuine question.
The $10,000 prize is definitely a BIG draw, as are all the other high-dollar winnings. That's just a snotload of cash!
It seems that a lot of work/thought has been put into this already. However, I wonder...
I assume the high entry fees are to cover these expenses.
Did you research/consider whether you might draw a larger entry crowd and interest by being able to lower the entry fees a bit to something more reasonable for us everyday guys who will be scrimping enough just to be prepared for the broken parts, at the expense of a lower top prize (e.g., "only" $5k)?
Saving only $5k could knock > $30 off each entry fee.
I'm just wondering if you will have a problem if 160 people don't sign up b/c they're scared of the cost.

We don't want a larger entry crowd than 160 and we are sure we will sell that many tickets based off all the advertising. Remember guys, this is not just a local event. we are activley promoting the event accross the east coast and inward. National advertising will be going out as well. The local guys are not going to be the only ones out there. We want to showcase this area, let the local business show off, put Uwharrie on the map. Either way we cut it though. If we lower the price and let more in, your odds get worse and the event gets sloppy because there are too many rigs and not enough time. We started out with 200 and cut it down to 160 for your benefit. I hope that helps.

Considering we-rock/uroc event entry fees are around $400 or more per event on top of your membership dues and a single event's class purse is typically much less than $10k (excluding supercrawl)...it would seem like something doesn't add up. Why not guarantee a percentage of the class entry fees rather than an actual number (that you may not even make for the whole event)?
percentages are messy, it will inevitably cause issues.

Where's this Kings point you speak of? Is this gonna be the base of operations for this event? Are competitors on their own for camping/lodging, or is the group camp @URE reserved?
Kings point is on the map on the website. We have reserved group camp and all other campgrounds are first come first serve and there will be a link to the reservation webpage from our site asap.

Definitely working with the Forest Service on this event. Can't make a move with out them. :)
Trails will not be closed during the event, since its goverment land. :( But we will be 'marking' the event trails.
Advertising will be local papers / radio / national mag's / internet... Definitely advertising. :)[/QUOTE

We can't close all the trails. We can block off the trail we are using. We have permission for that. We will also have staff with radios at every junction making sure no one gets on the trail that shouldn't be there.

I only have one response for this. HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY HITS THIS THREAD HAS GOTTEN? Would YOU want that many people calling you? Realize, this is a small business, running out of my home for now. If you are a business with a valid liscence, I would be glad to show you the vendor link with all that information. There is an email on the about us page for marketing information.

I agree with above, but another question I just thought of, If I were to preregister and when the event comes around and by some unfortunate event my rig is incapacitated, am I still stuck paying the entry fee? cause thats a good bit of time from now and my junk breaks every other day, and I'm in college so the entry fee is quite a commitment for me especially if end up not being able to race . . . . .

btw, I can promote the event on facebook for you as well if you like, I do that for some of the larger events that I go to, and it seems to draw a good bit of college age people out to events, especially when I did it for the 4wparts grand opening a few months ago.

I love your comment! We are not jerks here. I ain't gonna stiff you like that. There may be a cut-off though like the last 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back