Truck weight, tag price

Is there anyway to go online and add weight or do you have to go to the tag office?

Add the GVW of truck plus the GVW of the trailer. I.e my 05 F250 is 9,800 lbs plus 18 ft deckover of around 15,600lbs. My tags are for 2,6000 lbs, which keeps me under CDL of 26,001 lbs. My tags were $413! The problem if you get pulled over is not actually being overweight on a particular trailer, its when you don't have enough tags to cover the GVW of the combination. That's when the DMV will tear you a new one.

That's how it is in S.C.

The weighted plate on my truck has to cover my GCW. So if my truck weighs "X" amount and my trailer weighs "X" amount, then you have to be tagged to cover for the combination of both of those weights. For example my truck weighs 8,500 lbs. full of fuel with driver and passenger, and normal gear. My trailer weighs 15,500 lbs. with two jeeps on it. I have to have a weighted tag rated for at least 24,000lbs. I'm actually rated for 26,000lbs.; Similar to Ashton, that is the most I can legally weigh or operate without needing a CDL, so figured I'd rate for my max.

Your use in NC may vary, but I've checked this out further than most, and this has been the answer from every department head in the state. Again, I cant tell you about NC.

That's how it is in S.C.

The weighted plate on my truck has to cover my GCW. So if my truck weighs "X" amount and my trailer weighs "X" amount, then you have to be tagged to cover for the combination of both of those weights. For example my truck weighs 8,500 lbs. full of fuel with driver and passenger, and normal gear. My trailer weighs 15,500 lbs. with two jeeps on it. I have to have a weighted tag rated for at least 24,000lbs. I'm actually rated for 26,000lbs.; Similar to Ashton, that is the most I can legally weigh or operate without needing a CDL, so figured I'd rate for my max.

Your use in NC may vary, but I've checked this out further than most, and this has been the answer from every department head in the state. Again, I cant tell you about NC.

Sounds like he's talking manufacturer's gvwr that you read on the door and trailer tag and you and the state of NC are talking about actual gross weight. An f250 doesn't weigh anywhere near 9600lb.

If you tag to the max weight your state defines NOT needing a CDl, then you only have to pay a small ticket if you are over by a few hundred pounds. I had a F450 and stacker trailer that regularly went 28-30K. I blew right by the scales for 2 years. I finally got pulled after passing the scales coming out of Emporia VA and got a 132 dollar ticket and "Told" I needed a CDL. Drove it for 2 more years with no problems. I compared that to the crap you have to put up with carrying a CDL and decided the fine was money well spent.

My '05 Dodge 3500 weighs right at 9500 lbs. but it's a dually, 4x4, steel flatbed w/ a dump cylinder. Needless to say fuel mileage sucks. I'm tagged at 20k at a cost of $311. There's many days I roll down the road 22-25k lbs.

I've got an 01 2500 chevy with the 8.1 gasser and i use to have a 12,000 pound tag and got pulled pulling my yoda and i was weighed at a little over 15,000 and got a $60 dollar ticket then i bumped up to a 18,000lbs tag but probably go back down to at least a 15,000lbs tag soon since the yoda shouldn't get any heavier

I've got an 01 2500 chevy with the 8.1 gasser and i use to have a 12,000 pound tag and got pulled pulling my yoda and i was weighed at a little over 15,000 and got a $60 dollar ticket then i bumped up to a 18,000lbs tag but probably go back down to at least a 15,000lbs tag soon since the yoda shouldn't get any heavier

i have the same setup i guess; 8.1, 4x4, 4 door, short bed and mine weights in at around 6600 lbs, just the truck.
how much does your trailer and rig weight?
i would have never thought that a yoder and trailer would add that much weight.

to be honest i have no idea i just know after the trooper weighed me it came out to be a little over 15,000lbs all i can say is if you have a truck stop near you and you have time the next time you head out to go wheeling stop in and and weight truck trailer and rig all at the same time and then see if your weighted tag is in range

Where can you fund a cat scale? Is there a way to document your weight with a given setup? Just to show a trooper if he claims you weigh more.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Doesn't work that way, CAT scales will you give you a date/time stamped receipt with a truck number and trailer number-keep in mind this is designed for commercial trucks- if you get pulled on that day and the cops scales are different then CAT will go to court with you and fight the fine. I'm sure if you load up your junk and take a time/dated photo to go along with your scale ticket then you are well on your way to avoiding a ticket in the first place. I ran commercial overweight (150,000+ steel/equipment) for 20+ years and ATTITUDE is a good 1/2 your battle when dealing with a revenue seeking Trooper..............

I weighed my setup ( borrowed trailer) on a CAT scale and came in at 12360. The trailer I'm looking at buying is only a couple hundred pounds heavier than the borrowed one so i went with a 13000 lb tag.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I weighed the '86 K30 in my sig, a full tank of fuel, and me in it. Came in at 6400lbs. It's amazing that there's so much weight difference between my truck and these newer ones, but at any rate, I have 13K tags. I rarely haul anything, BUT I got a ticket one time in Lumberton for 6500lbs over. Had my truck on a trailer behind a buddy's truck coming home from SC and he has SC "disabled vet" tags...or something like that. It was something like 550 bucks, but like he said earlier, attitude was good and he cut us a break because he was training a fellow officer and knocked it back to about 225 or so. No arguements from me! The reason for pulling us was a dragging strap....so keep an eye on those too. The majority of the time, if you LOOK/ACT legal and safe, they won't bother you.

Also, I rarely haul anything with the K30, but when I do I'm usually at or above 13K it seems. I figured it was a chance I was willing to take. That's a good sized chunk of change to go above 13K for no more often than I need it.

99% sure that was the wrong figue. When I got my Tundra back in September, I tagged it at 13k. With the tag price and vehicle taxes, I was out the door for around $200.

Yep...that ^^. The tag itself is the same price, you just have your added taxes in there.

I am tagged at 13,000#. My tundra weighs 6000# (shipping weight on my registration card says 5445#). My rig weighs 4000# with my toolbox and spare tire. My trailer weighs 1700# (according to the title). That leaves me with 1300# to play with (beer, camping gear, spare parts).

That leaves me with 1300# to play with (beer, camping gear, spare parts).
So since an average backpacking pack is about 40 pounds, and you Toyota guys are convinced that your drivetrains are invincible, that leaves 1260lbs for beer. Thats 1680 12oz beer cans (ignoring the weight of the can of course).

So since an average backpacking pack is about 40 pounds, and you Toyota guys are convinced that your drivetrains are invincible, that leaves 1260lbs for beer. Thats 1680 12oz beer cans (ignoring the weight of the can of course).

Did you do the conversion from fluid ounces to weight ounces?

I do carry a spare tire, spare rear driveshaft, 4 spare CV axles for my IFS and a mayo jar of misc nuts and bolts.

Back