trailer build question

How many lugs on the wheel hubs?
theres 5, but these are the 7K mobile home axles with the 12" brakes...if that matters lol. not my ideal axles but they were free so should work for now

14.5 MH donut wheels?
If so run them at 100 psi and carry spares

Yep. They'll do ok at 80 psi too. It really doesn't matter, they will wear out or explode before you put 1000 miles on them. Unless they are the REALLY old ones that say "Mobile Home Use Only" and feel like plastic, in which case they pretty much last forever.

Yep. They'll do ok at 80 psi too. It really doesn't matter, they will wear out or explode before you put 1000 miles on them. Unless they are the REALLY old ones that say "Mobile Home Use Only" and feel like plastic, in which case they pretty much last forever.
Are you guys really serious or messing with me. I'm confused...14ply tires that will be carrying 1/4 it's intended weight and I'm having to worry about blow outs? I'm lost

No more jokes..I need real answers please..I can never tell when anyone is being legit...darn it

Are you guys really serious or messing with me. I'm confused...14ply tires that will be carrying 1/4 it's intended weight and I'm having to worry about blow outs? I'm lost
I was joking earlier in the thread, but I'm serious about the 14.5" tires. There is no such thing as a "good" one. They wear extremely fast. I'm also not sure if they make a radial version or they are only available in bias ply, but there's no need to spend extra. I always carried at least 2 spares. I often did not have to use them, but I got pretty good at changing them out ;)

They're serious. They're really crappy, Chinese, bias ply, mobile home only, tires. Movers are happy if they make it one trip...which is like 300 miles or so from the manufacturing plant, usually. They're disposable items. I wouldn't put them on my lawnmower trailer.

You can't really find them everywhere and usually parts for the axles are oddball stuff and sizes, likes the wheel bearings. Plus, open face rims suck to mount and true up.

Plus, open face rims suck to mount and true up.
Yes this sucked horrible today lol, I was mad as hell.
Well the tires I got are practically brand new...will they be ok for hauling local within couple hours of my house till I get the better normal axles?(y'all got me all worried as hell now).

I was joking earlier in the thread, but I'm serious about the 14.5" tires. There is no such thing as a "good" one. They wear extremely fast. I'm also not sure if they make a radial version or they are only available in bias ply, but there's no need to spend extra. I always carried at least 2 spares. I often did not have to use them, but I got pretty good at changing them out ;)

They only make them in bias ply and only two or three manufacturers make them. All Chinese. One of those things they make so they're almost barely just good enough.

We've always had better luck with the 8-14.5s than the 7-14.5s, and we run them at 80psi IIRC. But ever since we bought a brand new spare we haven't had any tire problems, which is about how our luck runs.

Duane

Dead serious and not trying to hate on them.
I ran them for several years because it was all I had.

I can’t explain why they suck because like you said they are rated for way more weight. Maybe it is speed? MH movers travel pretty slow.

But I can say I don’t think I ever made a trip longer than 20 miles without changing one. Of course for a long time I was running the $15 eBay ones..seriously you used to could buy 10 on eBay for 200 rims included ..then got tired of blowouts and went and talked to the Hudson brothers trailers guys out near Monroe. They built theirs with those axles back then. Paid way too much for tires from them and they last about the same.

Then I finally ponied up for some 6 lug dexters and haven’t looked back.

but totally this isn’t meant to be a pick on John post , but a serious I would have 2 spares post.

Last edited:
I have a VERY heavy and way overbuilt 5x8 utility trailer with a mobile home axle and the 14.5 tires. I got the trailer when I was 16 to tow my dirt bike. I never had a spare for it, and drove it all over the place. I had my first flat tire with it on my way to Brown Mountain when I was about 31 yrs old, so I got 15 yrs out of them. I pulled off the highway at the next exit, and found a tire store. They put on two new 14.5 tires. 15 more years later I am still rocking those same tires. I had 5,500 lbs of rip rap on the trailer a few years ago. I guess I am the odd ball who has had good luck with them. Maybe I just got really good quality ones by dumb luck both times. I thought about replacing the axle MANY times during the first 10-15 yrs I owned the trailer and getting standard wheels/tires, but I will probably never do it.

The main thing about the mobile home axles is lack of parts and tires available. I can walk into any Tractor Supply, Northern Tool or good hardware store and grab wheel bearings, brakes, or even a whole axle for that matter. And I'd prefer to have a common size radial tire that I could find in most towns easily.

Not saying those axles won't work for you for a while, but I'd be looking to replace them at some point down the road.

Don't use mobile home axles! they will fly apart going 70mph and you will destroy the family behind you !!

Well it's done, pulls amazing, doesn't feel too heavy empty. Got scales coming tomorrow to weigh the trailer and my rig finally.
IMG_20200409_150543.jpg
IMG_20200409_150516.jpg

3 thick coats of oil base Rust-Oleum on osb flooring for the floor. My rig will sit on the frame rails though lol. I like it.

3 thick coats of oil base Rust-Oleum on osb flooring for the floor. My rig will sit on the frame rails though lol. I like it.
Did you paint the OSB on both sides and all edges, or just the top?

Are the tires touching the sides of the trailer? You wouldn't expect it but the decking of a trailer is absolutely a structural member, especially on lighter weight trailers. Osb was a bad choice for a lot of reasons and that's a big one. Either way won't have to worry about bearings or tires failing first now.

:Edit: put some sides on it would add a lot of strength and make a good landscaping trailer for sure. Maybe some linoleum too.

I would expect no less.
Curious to see what it weighs. Any guesses John?
I'm guessing 1700 the way it feels empty behind a Tahoe which is the 7th one I've had lol so I'm pretty sure I'm close.

Back