trailer build question

Are the tires touching the sides of the trailer? You wouldn't expect it but the decking of a trailer is absolutely a structural member, especially on lighter weight trailers. Osb was a bad choice for a lot of reasons and that's a big one. Either way won't have to worry about bearings or tires failing first now.

:Edit: put some sides on it would add a lot of strength and make a good landscaping trailer for sure. Maybe some linoleum too.
With guys like you I can't win lol, always gonna be wrong no matter what I do..that's ok you're entitled to your thoughts and negative criticism as always

Did you paint the OSB on both sides and all edges, or just the top?
Top sides, bottom will last plenty. This ain't my first rodeo using this same method on trailer floor and it lasts longer than I care for $100

That's pretty cool.
Never thought of using osb for flooring before.

Did you get it free somehow or what made it a better choice for you than typical boards?

upload_2020-4-9_18-9-58.gif

Yessir...but I'd still choose it over 2x for weight and cost.
Gotcha. Good luck!
It prefer 2x for strength but your thoughts may vary.

I built a similar trailer with my best friend (rip) in 01. I changed it to Dexter axles in 07...its about time to replace the 2x10 decking hope I can get 2 more years out of it. But yeah that's 200 I'm not looking to spend.

Gotcha. Good luck!
It prefer 2x for strength but your thoughts may vary.

I built a similar trailer with my best friend (rip) in 01. I changed it to Dexter axles in 07...its about time to replace the 2x10 decking hope I can get 2 more years out of it. But yeah that's 200 I'm not looking to spend.

Want me to find you some cull stuff? For a friend in need, I'll see what I can do.

What about longevity and strength?
Honest question
Ok honest answer...by the time this floor is no good, I know for fact I'll have a legitimate tow rig and weight of the trailer won't be an issue.

Have you seen the bow that a 2x12x20ft does?? It's a ton...7/8 OSB flooring not nearly ...just sayin
2x gets their strength vertical but laid down on a trailer, they're gonna bow with the trailer

Ok honest answer...by the time this floor is no good, I know for fact I'll have a legitimate tow rig and weight of the trailer won't be an issue.
How many square feet is the trailer?
May not be that much additional weight.
Not being critical, just informative

Have you seen the bow that a 2x12x20ft does?? It's a ton...7/8 OSB flooring not nearly ...just sayin
2x gets their strength vertical but laid down on a trailer, they're gonna bow with the trailer
Only an idiot would deck a trailer with 2x12. It'll cup like crazy.
Plus, 20' lumber is nearly 50% higher per BF than 8-16' lengths
There's a reason nearly all manufacturers deck trailers with 2x8 no longer than 16'.

Only an idiot would deck a trailer with 2x12. It'll cup like crazy.
There's a reason nearly all manufacturers deck trailers with 2x8 no longer than 16'.

Get that common sense outta here! You... you... smart man.

Just fyi a sheet if 7/8 weighs 90lb.
So you've got 350lbs of osb if it's 7/8
A 2x8x16 weighs 33 lbs.
Assuming half inch space between boards to get a true 8 inch for ease of math, you'd need 12 2xs you'd have 396 lbs of 2x...so you did save 40lbs...
Which means you can carry an extra 5 gallons of gas...

Good point... thanks

How many square feet is the trailer?
May not be that much additional weight.
Not being critical, just informative
Well right now it was cost savings like everything else. Soon will get back to more work and new axles, tires and different floor setup will be next along with a good truck

Cost-wise OSB is roughly 350 mbf whereas 2x8 PT is roughly double at 675 mbf. (Retail numbers)
But obviously the OSB is less than half as thick, so it works out mathematically.

Again, just being informative as you finish your build

Last edited:
Cost-wise OSB is roughly 350 mbf whereas 2x8 PT is roughly double at 675 mbf. (Retail numbers)
But obviously the OSB is half as thick, so it works out mathematically.

Again, just being informative as you finish your build
Thanks for all the info, I'm very happy nonetheless to have my own capable well built trailer to start with and down the road finish off with few extra beefy components.

Back