Toy trans ID

skyhighZJ

Thanks for your taxes
9B8F1AE9-D0D6-495A-B2B2-76A9F8981165.jpeg
Looking to upgrade the four-speed manual in my 1980 Toyota to a five speed. Guy on the local for sale site has this but only knows that it is a five speed from an “early 80’s” Toyota truck. Can someone help me ID what model it is. He is asking 300 for the set up is that a fair price?

Last edited:
Probably a G series 52 or 54? If it' early 80's They aren't bad transmissions, but the w series seem to be more desirable.

I have been out of the Toyota world for about 15 years but bought a 1980 RN37 so I’m trying to get my head wrapped back around the good/bad/ugly of Toyota parts and try to flush out the dozen or so Jeeps I have had in the interim.

8D280157-8E01-40E8-A6E4-403D9A3D3CD8.jpeg
So talked to the guy some more and he had misspoke. It is from the late eighties. Based on the site that @Bhudgins posted and looking at the pics I’m leaning towards a w56b model. It seems to match the pic that Marlin has on their website. Most notably the top shift tcase not forward shift and also there are the hex plugs in the middle of the case halves. What say you? And, if it is a W series with the t case is 300 a fair price?

View attachment 260784 So talked to the guy some more and he had misspoke. It is from the late eighties. Based on the site that @Bhudgins posted and looking at the pics I’m leaning towards a w56b model. It seems to match the pic that Marlin has on their website. Most notably the top shift tcase not forward shift and also there are the hex plugs in the middle of the case halves. What say you? And, if it is a W series with the t case is 300 a fair price?
I’m with you. Looks just like my W56 in my 4Runner except mine is an A. I think 300 is alright as long as the case is good. I bought a W56C and case the other day for 40bucks. He thought it was locked up but it was actually the case. It looked like he ran it without sufficient lubricantion. Talk him down to 225.

Stab it in there and run it. The whole setup will be a few inches longer so you will need to Fab a cross member. Last one I'd did was down and dirty with some angle extensions drilled and welded. It worked fine.

Was planning on doing a different x member anyway to incorporate some form of skid plate. If I go with the W series behind a early model (1983 cause of single row timing chain) 22r which flywheel and clutch assembly do I use? Or are they similar amongst the 22r/22re Motors?

I don't know for sure but Toyota was good about overlap on parts. I've swapped 20r and 22r four speed to fives and all I ever did was swap transmissions. Maybe I got lucky but never had any hiccups.

Couldnt tell you toyota specific but i dont know how you can go wrong with a LUK clutch as long as they have been making them and as many different manufactures as they make them for.

If you use a w56 behind the 22r on a first gen a budbuilt crossmember will still bolt right up. The front holes of the crossmember will bolt up the the old rear holes, you can then run u bolts over the frame for the rear holes or weld on a bracket.

If you use a w56 behind the 22r on a first gen a budbuilt crossmember will still bolt right up. The front holes of the crossmember will bolt up the the old rear holes, you can then run u bolts over the frame for the rear holes or weld on a bracket.
That's the way mine is set up u bolt in the back holes never had a problem and I have the torque of duel cases so you should be fine with a single case

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Back