The Possibility of a Rock Garden

Would You Like To See A Rock Garden at Uwharrie?

• YES

Votes: 117 98.3%
  • NO

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
My personal opinion is that if we have an opportunity to design and build a rock garden, then we should build one that is technically very difficult, but not dangerous. Kind of like the lower rock garden at Harlan, or Pull Cable at Callalantee. I enjoy technical stuff, but will not do something that can kill me if I mess up.

Damaging my vehicle is not a big issue for me and I don't mind flopping on my side, or even on the roof. I just don't want to flip several times down the side of the mountain if a tire slips at the wrong time or if chose the wrong line.

The best place for this in my opinion is on Dickey Bell. At the rocky hill climb section, there is an old alternate route up the left that is fenced off. I don't see any reason for that fence to be there in the first place. Dump a bunch of rocks down that alternate line, and open it up. I think a pile of rocks on a flat surface beside a parking lot is boring. The rock garden needs to be incorporated into the trail system as an alternate line to make it appealing and fun. Think 'Pull Cable' at Mtn City.

The rock garden needs to be incorporated into the trail system ...

I like the plan of a flat rock garden... couldn't they use rocks as erosion control? by putting rocks in the place of the dirt that has eroded away... the state uses rip-rap for erosion control so it must work...

Maybe the poll should be for "where do you want the rock garden?". We could come up with half a dozen possible locations or more from the suggestions of folks on this board, then vote on them. The results could then be passed on to the Forest Rangers for their approval. I imagine some suggestions will be denied by the FS for various reasons. If the top choice is kicked out by the FS, then we go with the second most popular choice from the poll, and so on.

I see the point of a rock garden on flat ground near a parking lot so that spectators can easily watch with out over crowding or even blocking a trail. Also for rig recovery when they break which if were thinking about the same type of rock garden rigs would break a lot.
I also see the point of the rock garden being part of the trail system. I like the idea of putting it on dickey bell on a hill as an alternate path. Spectators would probably over run the other paths up by parking so they can watch and rig recovery would be a little harder.
So I would like to see both types of rock gardens put in. One on the trail and one really extreme one by a parking lot. I have no intentions of running either one myself but would love to watch and film rigs doing there thing on there.

You got the spectators right. You know how congested Kodak Rock area gets. It is ridiculous. I think that is a good example of a trail rock garden.

If there is going to be one I with the idea of putting it near open spaces and parking lots.

The place on dickey bell which was spoken of is a bad idea. There is absolutely no where for a bunch of people to park. That section was fenced off also per the FS. And it seems like it is way too steep to put a 'rock garden'

You got the spectators right. You know how congested Kodak Rock area gets. It is ridiculous. I think that is a good example of a trail rock garden.

If there is going to be one I with the idea of putting it near open spaces and parking lots.

The place on dickey bell which was spoken of is a bad idea. There is absolutely no where for a bunch of people to park. That section was fenced off also per the FS. And it seems like it is way too steep to put a 'rock garden'
X2

Needs to be near a large parking area. Not just for spectators, but also for the equipment required to produce said rock garden. I dont know about you but I dont want to try and spot a backhoe/ crane up Dickey Bell ;)

Some people might remember Crawfords Campground outside of Murphy,NC. He made a great rockgarden in his campground, simple and very challenging to ALL types of 4X4's. I played on it for hours! I was asked to do a showing for the Rangers from a National Forest in Georgia, they took pics and measured the rocks! Steve (Crawford)and I couldn't beleive they were going to over engineer such a simple thing. Anybody else ever play on the rocks there?

How's this idea comming? Have you followed up on it?

I mentioned this in the other thread but I'll put it hare also. The rock garden was discussed on the July work day and we were told that the Forest Service was open to the idea of building one. Where previously whoever was in charge though there shouldn't be motorized vehicles anywhere near URE. It was also said this wouldn't happen over night, they are aware of the desire for a rock garden and it can happen, in the future.

I was there when it was discussed. It's hard to know what to tell and what not to tell, especially when talking to the FS people. So sometimes when you try to talk about what was discussed without getting specific sometimes things get left out.

Like at the past work day the new trails were discussed and they were trying tog ive us news but not tell us stuff we arent to know yet.

The Rock Garden is on the long list that the Forest Service has to consider right now. Currently the main focus is trail repairs mainly through contractors that will be needed to keep the trails open. This year the focus is Rocky Mnt Loop, Falls Dam, and the Saw Mill re-route. In addition to that they are also working on the new/re-opening of Big Branch, and all the other regular basic maintenance. And beyond that is the possibility of the Rock Garden.

Right now if we want to get the ball rolling we need to look into what all it will take to build a rock garden. Cost/materials/ etc. So when its time to sit down and lay the ground work we know what we are getting ourselves into.

Some people might remember Crawfords Campground outside of Murphy,NC. He made a great rockgarden in his campground, simple and very challenging to ALL types of 4X4's. I played on it for hours! I was asked to do a showing for the Rangers from a National Forest in Georgia, they took pics and measured the rocks! Steve (Crawford)and I couldn't beleive they were going to over engineer such a simple thing. Anybody else ever play on the rocks there?

That is funny. I wheeled it every year I went there and even broke on it! :rolleyes: Would love to see some more challeneing area at URE.

trash

We could make beer can obstacles... there's plenty on the trails to make one hell of a pyramid obstacle. :beer:

yeah and it's a shame that ppl cant find a better place for all there trash. just as all other garbage, if you cant carry it back with ya, you should not bring it on the trails.:rolleyes:

Just an idea,, fill the soup bowl full of rock and make a garden there,, easy acces,, lots of parking,, I would be glad to trade the bowl for a rock garden

^ plus 100000000 muds no fun anyway

it looked like they were filling in the mud holes with gravel on RML when we was up there last weekend. maybe they will fill the soup bowl with gravel too. lol

You never know there may all ready be some gravel at the very bottom. The gravel thing isn't exactly anything new. Back in 2006 I remember in quite a few of the mud holes you could hear gravel as you drove through them. :beer:

Back