The Hornet. 96 S-10 2wd to 4wd

Fighting with Vinyl.JPG

I picked up this vinyl kit online and already I'm regretting my OCD. I should've just went with truck bed coating instead.

Vinyl Done Driver.JPG
Vinyl Done Passenger.JPG
Vinyl Done Rear.JPG

Finished product. Only took 3 hours off my life.

ARB Bag Straps.JPG
ARB Bag Straped.JPG

Also couldn't resist drilling a few holes in a new floor. Located the ARB compressor and my Snatch Pack behind the drivers seat.

AR Belly Pan Template.JPG

And here's the last piece to my puzzle. I've got my holes drilled in my crossmembers and my cardboard template made for the belly pan. All I need is for my schedule to line up with my buddy's so we can use his plasma cutter to make it a reality. With any luck, I'll be on a trail breaking my first axle shaft in about 10 days. Here's hoping.

IMG_3737.JPG

Reality! Got my 4 bolts welded in. She's ready for paint.

IMG_3743.JPG

While the paint was drying I got the last of my wiring done. I scored that ARB compressor off eBay pretty cheap because the harness was butchered. Took a minute and several Google searches, but finally got it functional.

IMG_3741.JPG
IMG_3740.JPG

Required the tractors help to get it lifted into place, but that made it way easier than expected. All the nuts are protected from damage as well.

IMG_3745.JPG

Had a few minutes to spare this morning so I went ahead and fab'd up the cover for that u-joint access in my floor. Little angle iron and some 20 gauge skin. Drilled and tapped holes for the bolts.

IMG_3748.JPG

All done. Definitely time for a nap before night shift starts back again.

wow. that turned out nice.

I appreciate it. Your fancy bed gets more attention than any other part of the truck. Time to get the old girl out and show off our hard work.

Wish I would of never let it go now. I had good reason and high hopes but it all bombed out. Looks great though.

Wish I would of never let it go now. I had good reason and high hopes but it all bombed out. Looks great though.

TURD.jpg

Maybe it's time to bring this beast back to life.

Chance Proud.JPG

Proudest kid on the block. He finally put his "DONE" stamp on it after he got to pose for some pictures and drive it around the farm a little. Hopefully, I've created a monster and I'll never see the end of this hobby.

Just gonna put this out there.. if that thing ever ever ever ever goes up for sale...

I got your number. I definitely have to keep it as long as my kids stay interested. It's the only thing keeping them from staying on the electronics 24/7. Not to mention, my wife knows how much I've spent on it and she'll end my life if she doesn't see a return on the investment.

One last finishing touch. I had a few gift cards to burn and my boys thought it would look cool. Rigid Industries rock lights. Now I'm gonna have to go on a night wheeling trip.

Rock Lights 1.JPG
Rock Lights 4.JPG

For everybody that warned me about running OE shafts, here's your "I told you so".
Birfield 1.JPG

Birfield 2.JPG

Birfield 3.JPG

I'll admit I wasn't ready for all the collateral damage. I roll with a set of trail spares, but they wouldn't have helped me here. I lost the brass spindle bushing, inner axle seal, and the lower pinion needle bearing. Long story short, big thanks to @Oliver's for getting me a set of RCV axles on the way. Hopefully I can have her back together in time for my next ride at Big Dogs Offroad Park end of the month.

IMG_3943.JPG

Goodies arrived. Now I've got to clearance the inside of the knuckle balls. I've already test fit the passenger side and of course they hit.

@HGSR He actually bought those stock driveshafts you sent with me to make trail spares for his. He joked that they might've come off of his truck anyway.

Back