The Hornet. 96 S-10 2wd to 4wd

that looks good fits well in there. So does the swing arc of the bar provide the foward and back movement needed for your springs to compress and relax without needing a little shackle on it?

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m an amateur at this kind of stuff. In my “world”, this bar combined with my limit strap on the passenger side will only allow up travel on the front passenger side. Think huge Bandaid to hide other underlying issues (really steep front driveshaft to accommodate my flat belly and super flexible front springs to achieve desired ride height). I also chose to mount my antiwrap bar forward of the axle because I have shackles on the rear eyelets (to clear frame interferences again for ride height). All that being said, IMHO, this bar will allow slight movements in spring flex while maintaining my pinion angle. I built the bar with threaded heims so I can make adjustments to its length after trying it out. Hopefully I’m drawing some kind of picture, but let’s be honest, I’ve never been accused of being the brightest Crayon in the box.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m an amateur at this kind of stuff. In my “world”, this bar combined with my limit strap on the passenger side will only allow up travel on the front passenger side. Think huge Bandaid to hide other underlying issues (really steep front driveshaft to accommodate my flat belly and super flexible front springs to achieve desired ride height). I also chose to mount my antiwrap bar forward of the axle because I have shackles on the rear eyelets (to clear frame interferences again for ride height). All that being said, IMHO, this bar will allow slight movements in spring flex while maintaining my pinion angle. I built the bar with threaded heims so I can make adjustments to its length after trying it out. Hopefully I’m drawing some kind of picture, but let’s be honest, I’ve never been accused of being the brightest Crayon in the box.

Toyota ran a wrap bar very similar to what you built.

steering-straight-factory-torque-rod.jpg

steering-straight-original-push-pull-steering.jpg

Since the wife is medicated after getting her appendix out, I decided to hit the garage and address my biggest demon with the S10. Steering... or lack there of! Decided to go with West Texas Offroad for a hydro assist setup. Today I yanked the steering box off and got it and a new power steering pump boxed up to ship out tomorrow. They’ll tear the box down, drill & tap, and rebuild the whole thing. They’re also gonna bump up the pressure on my new pump. Then they’ll ship it all back to me with a ram, hoses, heims, tabs, and all the fittings to install the kit. I opted for the 1.75” ram over the 1.5” for that extra push. I’ll sacrifice speed for power. Supposed to be a 3 week turnaround including all the time spent with UPS. Hope to be back together in time for the Vet Ride coming up at URE.

6202DDD0-FFAF-4BB3-AC47-AF338FDC7AB2.jpeg

Goodie box showed up today. Hopefully I’ll start plugging away at it tomorrow.

Just over 2 weeks to get it done before the Veterans Ride.

I think I’m in good shape barring catastrophic failure if I hook up the lines backwards. Don’t rule that out, I’m not always the sharpest tool in the shed.

That’s why you hook the lines up but leave one end of the ram loose and check it before you button it up. I thought it through and when I did mine I found this to be the easiest way to make sure I didn’t brain fart my hydro assist into a metal pretzel.

New power steering pump, steering box, and the hydraulic ram are all installed. Fill and vent will have to wait until after night shift this weekend AND when I have a minion to cycle the steering wheel several dozen times. Gotta get a nap in before work.
8595797A-B33F-49D0-B0CE-F3B3D53DC3D6.jpeg

Happy to report that the hydro assist is fully functional and easy enough for an 8 year old to cycle at idle. The Aisin hubs are a huge improvement and let’s just say... 40mph never felt so good. A couple 4K rpm pulls blew out all kinds of carbon buildup. She’s a spry chicken again. The boys wanna wash and shine her up for the Vet Ride.

Not every day you watch your blood, sweat, and tears get hauled away and know it’s headed to a better place. Bumping this thread back up for the “new” original owner.
B8CC94B1-AA4E-45C2-93B5-0B337D3DC5E4.jpeg

Thats exactly how I felt when I watched it leave the yard heading to your house.

It’s time to inventory my hoard and find some front axle parts.

371B75E6-F2E1-47ED-B201-342307EE026F.jpeg
Well it’s nearly back in the same spot Brian loaded it on his trailer. I just can’t stop looking at this damn thing, I liked it before but Brian and Matt really took it to the next level. It was supposed to have been a way way back burner project, no idea when I’d even get around to it. I really have more irons in the fire than ever before and the last thing I needed was another black hole to pitch money into. It’s just too badass for me not to mess with and it’s really not that far from being a complete truck again. My dads health situation brought along some unsettling news in the last week, so that’s inspired me to get after this build. It be nice to see him beat on the truck, not to mention it would be even better to see him wheel the truck he drove off the Chevrolet lot, washed, waxed and rarely ever let me drive.

Soo current game plan is to leave the 4.3, put the Toyota axles back together, and go back with a 4L60E. Iam kicking some transfer case ideas around. I still have a 205 case and I like the NWF ecobox idea. Maybe a dana300/ecobox combo to save some weight Or some other lighter dual case combo.

I do currently need knuckles and spindles for that front axle if anyone has/knows of Some

Found a good low miles transmission yesterday, $400 for a complete running s10. Best part was the four miles round trip to drag it home. I picked up this texas offroad built Astro van box, it was local too. Lol.

Attachments

• 97728936-DEB3-4EB8-87B7-FB03E097446C.png
    97728936-DEB3-4EB8-87B7-FB03E097446C.png
    564.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 06D921C9-50A6-4A94-B236-3D13DD4132EC.jpeg
    06D921C9-50A6-4A94-B236-3D13DD4132EC.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 357
Straight dumb luck score at LKQ. Snagged the 60 Sunday. Had to rip it apart so I could load the damn thing on a cart. Cash offers wouldn’t even get me any help. Went back today for the 14B, went ahead a carried the 205 case home too since it was 40% off today. Ditched the 14b brakes to save me some money and mostly to save weight. I had plans to stay with yota axles under the S10 and I’ve even bought several yota axle parts but how can I not put tons under it now.

F2D7D12F-1CE3-4EED-8BDE-A6933FA1734F.jpeg
E2DA62AA-2857-4372-8E9A-DADA42E5E27F.jpeg
6D62DA8E-9CB2-4548-A330-D47A40FF87A1.jpeg
A7A875F1-0BB1-40F8-9CC4-1AF55A9C1097.jpeg

BE38C2B1-3FFB-4095-B76B-54161A464555.jpeg
Well it’s finally sitting on tons, iam not sure how much progress it will see since my Tacoma is my main focus. I did need to move the s10 so I can cut a few trees and do some grading work done before the carport ppl come.

87B3BF3B-5075-4DED-BC81-A2610D566BB3.gif

Back