The future of cars

Self-Driving-Cars.png

Got this as a loaner today. Always wanted a continental…relatively base model, would be fun to drive if it weren’t for the adaptive cruise and lane assist. I know those things aren’t anything new, but I was having to muscle hard to change lanes on the highway…I’d put it on par with trying to parallel park bias fo’deez with manual steering. I reckon you can turn those ‘features’ off…but they make for a miserable driving experience for me. Something about auto hold brakes are a bit disconcerting for me as well. And I’m also not proud of how long it took me to realize how to change gears.

IMG_4307.jpeg
IMG_4305.jpeg

Wtf are auto hold brakes

Come to a stop, let your foot off the brakes, it holds. I could see that becoming an interesting part failure.

On our car, if you use your turn signal when you change lanes it turns the lane assist off.

Yeah…figured that out about half way home from work. Just irritating with no cars around. Or the adaptive cruise slowing you down 4-5mph because there’s a car in your lane a quarter mile up, then couple that with what should be a smooth lane transition, and then armstronging it until you realize you need to signal…just annoying and a reminder it’s not a path I’m fond of.

Come to a stop, let your foot off the brakes, it holds. I could see that becoming an interesting part failure.

Yeah…figured that out about half way home from work. Just irritating with no cars around. Or the adaptive cruise slowing you down 4-5mph because there’s a car in your lane a quarter mile up, then couple that with what should be a smooth lane transition, and then armstronging it until you realize you need to signal…just annoying and a reminder it’s not a path I’m fond of.
You can usually adjust the following distance for the adaptive cruise as well.

But I'm w/ you - I'd rather just not have all this stuff.
Although something that trains people to always use their signal is probably not a bad thing....

You can usually adjust the following distance for the adaptive cruise as well.
Every car I've ever owned or driven with this feature did not allow you to get close enough. It was a little conservative for open road driving, and useless with any traffic density because it would leave 100ft or more and every car on the interstate would fill that gap, causing you to constantly slow down and back off.

Every car I've ever owned or driven with this feature did not allow you to get close enough. It was a little conservative for open road driving, and useless with any traffic density because it would leave 100ft or more and every car on the interstate would fill that gap, causing you to constantly slow down and back off.
I love ACC. Makes road trips easier and it usually makes me pay more attention.

I saw the new Corolla had auto hold, and hill start-something on the manual. While that sounds nice, I can see it causing new drivers some pain when hoping in an older manual.

The Durango we had, was nice with ACC, as it would adapt fairly quick when merging lanes. It did not have lane-assist. Our Toyota, I turned off the lane-assist, because it was the same pain. The cruise can be swapped between standard and ACC. It will allow you to get to 4-5 car lengths to the car infront with ACC.

Is that car based on a Ford platform? I know they dont make sedans anymore. Honestly not sure I knew Lincoln still did.

I saw the new Corolla had auto hold, and hill start-something on the manual. While that sounds nice, I can see it causing new drivers some pain when hoping in an older manual.
My 6 spd Mazda3 has some kind of hill brake- assist thing. When in gear on a hill, if you let off the brake it doesn't release them until you hit the gas. It's pretty convenient. Confused me a bit the first time it happened b/c I was expecting a bit of a roll and it didn't happen. Has to be a reasonable incline to activate.
On the inverse side of things I could see somebody that learned to drive a stick with this feature being really freaked out driving an older car without it.

"Though EV sales are still growing, the pace has slowed. In the first half of 2023, EV sales rose 49% from one year before, a slower rate than the 63% increase last year"

So selling half again as many cars as last year is all gloom and doom?
Well in a growing industry that has a long way to go AND is being propped up by killing off the competition, if your growth rate decreases year-year that suggests you're plateauing way too early.
But at the same time it all depends how that % is calculated, as the total # sold is bigger every year, it is doubley hard to have inceeasing % because it takes a larger raw number just to match the same %. My guess is if that 2023 % were based on 2 years ago as the baseline it would look better.

"Though EV sales are still growing, the pace has slowed. In the first half of 2023, EV sales rose 49% from one year before, a slower rate than the 63% increase last year"

So selling half again as many cars as last year is all gloom and doom?
Considering how much hype and money is pumped into EV's, yes. It would be different if it were an issue of market saturation because most people already had one. But an emerging market player should see significant increase in growth year over year until it begins to plateau.

Considering how much hype and money is pumped into EV's, yes. It would be different if it were an issue of market saturation because most people already had one. But an emerging market player should see significant increase in growth year over year until it begins to plateau.
Wellll..
math comes into the conversation and the difference between relative increase and absolute increase.
(I know Matt knows the defintions being a degreed train driver - but for others)

If in year 1 you sell for example 1,000 units.
Year 2 you sell 1,630 units (63% increase - 630 unit increase)
Year 3 you sell 2,429 units (49% increase - 799 unit increase)

The % looks like it is slowing but you still actually sold more units in increase...

Wellll..
math comes into the conversation and the difference between relative increase and absolute increase.
(I know Matt knows the defintions being a degreed train driver - but for others)

If in year 1 you sell for example 1,000 units.
Year 2 you sell 1,630 units (63% increase - 630 unit increase)
Year 3 you sell 2,429 units (49% increase - 799 unit increase)

The % looks like it is slowing but you still actually sold more units in increase...

There are so many other factors involved in the whole mess too that a simple percentage just can't tell the story, we were just coming out of the pandemic at the quarter they are quoting, Ford suffered over a month's production loss on the Lightning due to chip shortages during that quarter, so if something is ordered, but not delivered, I'm guessing that wasn't counted?

Statistics and Damn Lies..

There are so many other factors involved in the whole mess too that a simple percentage just can't tell the story, we were just coming out of the pandemic at the quarter they are quoting, Ford suffered over a month's production loss on the Lightning due to chip shortages during that quarter, so if something is ordered, but not delivered, I'm guessing that wasn't counted?

Statistics and Damn Lies..

I have a green Controller that I’m polishing and training…one of her favorite rhetorical questions is ‘you really can make the numbers say anything you want, can’t you’. I’m fairness this PE group loves ‘adjusted reporting’.

can get a used utility SxS and put a license plate on it
Or one of the Jap mini trucks. But this is his DD year round, so needs something with decent heat and ac, and he hauls my kids often, so I'd like proper crush zones.

Back