The Dana 35 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. That is unless you are talking about the BW1339 Quadra-Trac transfer case used in the late 70s- early 80s. My tj came with a np 231, which can not do this.
Seriously? Here, let me google that for you:
"AMC's Borg-Warner 1339 Quadra-Trac transfer case included a clutch-pack limited-slip center differential for superior full-time performance, yet like the 203, the differential could be locked to provide equal power output to the front and rear for true four-wheel-drive performance."

So yes, the quadratrac could be "locked" so that there was no differentiation, but that was not even its standard state. The majority of transfer cases do NOT have a differential, and are, like the NP231, the equivalent of "locked" all the time. The "equal power output to the front and rear" is really misleading, because its not a 50/50 split, its an everything-turns-in-unison with the full torque of the engine available to the drivetrain at any point that offers resistance to that torque. So if 3 wheels are on ice, and 1 is on pavement, the full engine torque will be applied to the drivetrain, but there is practically zero resistance at the tires on the ice, so all rotational resistance will occur at the 1 tire that is on the pavement, and it will receive the full torque of the engine.

If there's no movement, there's no power.

That's physics, man.

I never said anything about using a super 35. It states exactly that in the very first post. Another person to lazy to actually read

Sorry I thought you wanted to actually polish the turd not just bandaid over the piece of shit.

Just do it and prove us wrong, you have already made up your mind.

Don't pay attention to all these douchebag haters,if you put in a full case locker like a Detroit it will replace the weak spider gears and side gears,add a set of alloy axles and you'll be golden.Should hold up to at least 37's fine.If your worried about the axle housing re-weld the tubes w a 7018 rod.

Seriously? Here, let me google that for you:
"AMC's Borg-Warner 1339 Quadra-Trac transfer case included a clutch-pack limited-slip center differential for superior full-time performance, yet like the 203, the differential could be locked to provide equal power output to the front and rear for true four-wheel-drive performance."

So yes, the quadratrac could be "locked" so that there was no differentiation, but that was not even its standard state. The majority of transfer cases do NOT have a differential, and are, like the NP231, the equivalent of "locked" all the time. The "equal power output to the front and rear" is really misleading, because its not a 50/50 split, its an everything-turns-in-unison with the full torque of the engine available to the drivetrain at any point that offers resistance to that torque. So if 3 wheels are on ice, and 1 is on pavement, the full engine torque will be applied to the drivetrain, but there is practically zero resistance at the tires on the ice, so all rotational resistance will occur at the 1 tire that is on the pavement, and it will receive the full torque of the engine.

I am 100% wrong about that transfer case. I was thinking the locking diff was an option, but it was the low range that didn't come in all the full size jeeps of that Era ( maybe the 1305?)For some reason, I was thinking of the np249, which does not lock, only has a vc

I apologize!

I don't understand your example. So you are saying that if a 231 equipped tj had 3 tires on ice, one on dry pavement all the drivetrain torque would go to the one tire on dry pavement?

I am 100% wrong about that transfer case. I was thinking the locking diff was an option, but it was the low range that didn't come in all the full size jeeps of that Era ( maybe the 1305?)For some reason, I was thinking of the np249, which does not lock, only has a vc

I apologize!

I don't understand your example. So you are saying that if a 231 equipped tj had 3 tires on ice, one on dry pavement all the drivetrain torque would go to the one tire on dry pavement?

What did I fucking say? I said you can't reply in this thread until you read the entire thing.

I apologize!

Assuming you have a locker in the axle that is contacting pavement, yes.

You know I already called you out for not fucking reading the responses in your own thread, right? It was back on page 4.

YOU MUST READ MY POST BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD AGAIN.

Funny, I didn't see a post from you when I looked back at page 4

This thread is full of awesome. I know nothing about how strong a D35 is, but I sure as shit know how a drivetrain works.

I have two vehicles in my driveway with center differentials, and neither of them are trucks.

Dana 35 ? So you wanna run 31s forever

I guess to phrase it another way, so maybe I can wrap my head around this....
Similar situation as the 3 tires on ice, one on dry pavement. Say going up a steep gully, the truck slips off and lays partially over on the bank. Only one rear tire is touching the ground, the other 3 are in the air, so 100% of the drive trains torque would go to that one tire on the ground?

Similar situation as the 3 tires on ice, one on dry pavement. Say going up a steep gully, the truck slips off and lays partially over on the bank. Only one rear tire is touching the ground, the other 3 are in the air, so 100% of the drive trains torque would go to that one tire on the ground?

I don't think you've read every post in this thread. If you had, you wouldn't be crapping it up with questions that have already been answered.

How much force can you apply to something that isn't there?

o_O

No, it's not a riddle.

No. Only 0.08543%^2 torque is not applied

I don't want to read 8pages of BS, so I will say this...I run a bone stock d35 will 44's and a LS swap....never broke any thing!!! I say build it!!!!

:poop::sniper:.....sorry just thought I would stir the pot a little!! Lol

I did the research and swaped in a 8.8 and never looked back. I am running 33's and a 4cy. The $600 it cost me for the 8.8 and the Half a day labor was WELL worth the peice of mind. The time and money to build the 35 is just not worth it when you can do a 8.8 LS for less then $800...

Having met and talked with more than a handful of yall on the trail, I can honestly say the way you treat people on this forum made me literally laught out loud.

I would guess saying assumptions are the brother of all fuck ups, might be lost on many of you, but I would still like to quote it.

I can't say this wasn't fun, but when yall personally attack someone for asking a question that a forum search doesn't yield one result, yeah not a great forum or community at large to be a part of.
Didn't make it down last weekend for opening weekend, though its always crowded anyway, hopefully I will have time next weekend.
See yall then

Your loss.

When you blow up that d35 doing as you intend, one of the vendors here will be glad to fix your fuckup. Discount rates will not apply. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back