The Dana 35 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not read this thread BUT real world experience. 84 xj on 33's in Crawfords rock garden 4.10 gears lock right running on 3 cylinders. D35 went boom! It was the non c clip version too. Yes 3 not 4. No that is not a misprint. I've seen an open D35 in dirt catch grass and go boom. HTH

Except you already stated your going to do a full carrier and a regear either way so neglect that cost because it is basically the same cost as a 35. True talk look it up maybe a 100 difference. You don't "NEED" a diff cover you want one but the best is still only around 100 bucks but also the same price for a 35 cover. You don't need a new drive shaft you need a 20 bucks flange adapter, or you can be a baller and buy a new yoke for 120 but both still use a stock shaft. The only cost difference is the axle itself and an adapter. I've seen bolt in ready to go alxes on here for 400. A set of 35 aftermarket shafts are 350-400. Your also getting disk brakes with an 8.8

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately you didn't read the supplied info.
The aftermarket shafts are a little over $200. The full Carrier locker I mentioned is under $350.
And yes, I would need a new driveshaft. It isn't a mater off attaching the drive shaft to the 8.8, I had a flange adapter, it was a mater of facthe that the extra length of the 8.8 would cause binding issue with the stock drive shaft. I promise, I measured this very carefully.

The aftermarket shafts are a little over $200. The full Carrier locker I mentioned is under $350.
And yes, I would need a new driveshaft. It isn't a mater off attaching the drive shaft to the 8.8, I had a flange adapter, it was a mater of facthe that the extra length of the 8.8 would cause binding issue with the stock drive shaft. I promise, I measured this very carefully.
I guess the me and others that have done it haven't had a problem. But it's ok you've got a master's in Google fabrication no need to ask us for help again cause you've googled it and now know more than anyone else on this site who has the been there done that trouphy.

Welcome to the club man.

We've just been initiating you.

You took it well. You are in.

We all run D35s. They are plenty strong enough up to 42s.

Rock on. Live life. Take pics. Share please.

If you *must*, you can shorten the driveshaft for less than $100. It's not hard or expensive.

Or just run the d35 and be done. No mods necessary other than bad ass parts for bad ass axle performance.

The aftermarket shafts are a little over $200.

30spl D35 shafts are $195/ea. You need both sides, so $390 for the pair.

The full Carrier locker I mentioned is under $350.

The D35 Detroit with 30spl side gears is $655.

Add bearings, gear oil, etc, you're looking at $1100-1200 to "super35" a Dana 35.

Add bearings, gear oil, etc, you're looking at $1100-1200 to "super35" a Dana 35.
Don't speak the logic to him! It will makes his head blow up

My math sucks. Turn-key, I'd bet it's a $1300 swap.

Lets just say 1st gear is 3.5:1. transfer case is 2.72 and now your dana 35 is geared 4.88:1. A 2.5 liter 4cyl makes 150 ft/lbs of torque.
150x3.5x2.72x4.88 =6968 ft/lbs

A 4.0 6cyl makes 225 ft/lbs and has an axle ratio of 3.07

225x3.5x2.72x3.07= 6575 ft/lbs
Still with me?
You have 4 wheels so, a 4cyl with4.88 gears is putting out 1742 ft/lbs to each wheel.

A 4.0 with 3.07 is putting out 1643ft/lbs to each wheel.

What does all that mean? Who fucking knows? I think im going to have country fried steak for lunch.

/\ that guy might know what he's talking about being a master tech for Jeep/Chrysler

And I heard he had even re-geared a D35 and an 8.8 once before as well.

Lets just say 1st gear is 3.5:1. transfer case is 2.72 and now your dana 35 is geared 4.88:1. A 2.5 liter 4cyl makes 150 ft/lbs of torque.

Still with me?
You have 4 wheels so, a 4cyl with4.88 gears is putting out 1742 ft/lbs to each wheel.

What does all that mean? Who fucking knows? I think im going to have country fried steak for lunch.
But if 4 tires are spinning, and then 1 grabs, all of the torque goes to that one tire/wheel/shaft/sidegear.

If you gotta buy a locker, and gears ,shafts for whichever rear you do the only difference in price would be the 8.8 housing ...or am I math wrong ????

Zoo City Sawz

Still with me?

That is an awesome number to show. There is a chart that shows axle housings and shafts on google image search and their ft/lb ratings. If i recall correctly, at stock wheel weight the d35 was already super close to that number. Ill see if i can find it but gotta get back to work.

Please, if you can't read even most of the thread jump up just 5 posts and read.
I am not talking about the parts you are referring to, at the prices you are quoting. But I guess on this thread it doesn't even mater.

Still with me?

You would run 3.07 gears in an axle built to run 35s?
That doesn't seem ideal to me, kinda like running a dana 35.....

Please, if you can't read even most of the thread jump up just 5 posts and read.
I am not talking about the parts you are referring to, at the prices you are quoting. But I guess on this thread it doesn't even mater.
Maybe were all the dumb asses and you need to post links to the parts your talking about because I looked and nothing is in the range your referring to

But if 4 tires are spinning, and then 1 grabs, all of the torque goes to that one tire/wheel/shaft/sidegear.

Wrong.
Unless your np231 can send 100% of the engine power to either the front or rear axle. Mine splits the power equally between the front and rear when in 4wd.

I must have a defective transfer case

I read every post in the thread. Either post a link to your imaginary $200 shafts and $350 locker, or STFU

Awesome! I can get some new hubs and it should be good to go!

I am young, and have very little experience with cars and trucks in general. I would be embarrassed to admit how many trucks I have driven off road.

Actually, I never asked about the overall strength of a dana 35, if you had taken the time to read and comprehend the original question I asked you would understand. And if you were able to read, again, I have stated that I don't want to hear anything but actual experience with what I asked about, which you obviously don't have.

And I will stoop to a level that I have criticized on this very thread, but having an axle that is wide enough that it pushes the inside of the tire tread out side of the fender flare looks like shit. I can't imagine anyone on this forum with any real world wheeling knowledge would say differently.

I just hope you aren't as young as me and have feeling that are hurt as easily as mine.
I don't have feelings... on another note you obviously don't know much about the 4x4 lifestyle since you admitted that, so how can you say what looks like shit really?? Btw the title of your post is "strength of d35" so maybe I'm just a slow minded hillbilly and had no need to read your book on plans to waste $$$ on a pos axle... but hey for what you'll probably do a 35 will suite you just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back