Tell me about your new 1-ton rigs

I passed four broken down Fords this weekend. Three 6.0s and a 6.7. The 6.0s were all on the side of the road (one already loaded on the rollback), the 6.7 actually had the common decency to limp into a rest stop.

I didn't see any broken down trucks, so they are all reliable! :D

My co-workers 05 lly duramax is pushing 400k with him putting over 200k of if using the truck for auto transport. In four years I've only seen it fail us once and that was just a loose injector plug that was corrected with the ice pick mod. I just sold my 05 ford lariat dually because even with head studs, egr cooler, new ford heads, and religious maintenance intervals it still blew on me and I tow about 1/2 as much as he does and he has a bully dog where mine is mostly stock. I bought a 01 ford 7.3 dually but will probably buy a 2010 or newer dodge or GM in the next year once I recover from the loss I took on the 05. Here's a pic I sold it for 7,000 broken
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369771088.490424.jpg

Well, I saw 5 broken down Dodges :flipoff2:

Right... says the guy that poor mouths the shit out of his Ford in person, but can't find anything wrong with it when he writes about it on the internets. :flipoff2:

Right... says the guy that poor mouths the shit out of his Ford in person, but can't find anything wrong with it when he writes about it on the internets. :flipoff2:

LOL. Its wore out and I abuse it. It ran like crap with bad injectors. Its been rode hard and put up wet many, MANY times. Eventually it will give out on me but its taking a beating to my surprise!

I may talk shit about it, but its been reliable and worked great for me especially since i've abused the crap out of it. Never even had to do ball joints or unit bearings to my surprise. It may fall apart on me on my way home from the airport if it finds out how bad I talk about it but in all reality, its been really good to me considering what I've done to it! :D :flipoff2: :lol:

My 2003 6.0L F250 CC 4x4 April 11 rolled over 400K miles. No deletes, no head bolts or any of the internet fixes. 100 % stock. Runs like a top pulls hard and without issues. I have replaced one injector. I have had to do regular maintenance and replace things that have worn out like the radiator, HPOP, Turbo, rear main seal, seal between transmission and t-case, rebuild the rear end, rebuild front spring mounts at frame, no transmission problems, still running the original front wheel bearings, third set of ball joints. This has been a great truck and still is. It is getting the best fuel mileage ever at 21 on the interstate below 2000 rpms. I am on my 56th oil change, and 13th transmission service oil plug is good for 25 oil changes (on the third one). It now has 405K miles headed for 1/2 million.

I was going to buy a new one but this one is still very good and reliable. I decided to buy a 2013 JK Rubicon for a DD. I still drive the truck most of the time and tell the 6.0L haters to pound sand and bark at the moon!.

Attachments

• 088.JPG
    088.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 089.JPG
    089.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 264
My 2003 6.0L F250 CC 4x4 April 11 rolled over 400K miles. No deletes, no head bolts or any of the internet fixes. 100 % stock. Runs like a top pulls hard and without issues. I have replaced one injector. I have had to do regular maintenance and replace things that have worn out like the radiator, HPOP, Turbo, rear main seal, seal between transmission and t-case, rebuild the rear end, rebuild front spring mounts at frame, no transmission problems, still running the original front wheel bearings, third set of ball joints. This has been a great truck and still is. It is getting the best fuel mileage ever at 21 on the interstate below 2000 rpms. I am on my 56th oil change, and 13th transmission service oil plug is good for 25 oil changes (on the third one). It now has 405K miles headed for 1/2 million.

I was going to buy a new one but this one is still very good and reliable. I decided to buy a 2013 JK Rubicon for a DD. I still drive the truck most of the time and tell the 6.0L haters to pound sand and bark at the moon!.
As much as I internet dislike the 6.0, that is as solid of a testimony as you will find. Nice to hear firsthand accounts instead of 3rd hand internettism.

Low mileage 06 model for the win.

Interested in the trans service....13 times. WOW
IS that a drain and fill or are you changing the filter as well?

trans service??? Whats that? :lol:

I'm at 290k and have checked the fluid like 3 times. Still good to go! :D

56 oil changes and 13 trans services, cost of that could have bought ya another whole truck!

That's pretty damn impressive. I'll echo the above comments about nice to hear first hand stuff rather than internetisms. Very hard for someone like me that is trying to become informed to separate the bull from the reality on simple google search results so the info you posted is appreciated. One thing that's impossible to factor out is often people posting on forums about their trucks are posting because something went bad, you don't hear anything from the ones that didn't have trouble.

So I was reading a bit today on the 2013 dodge 3500. It seems this Aisin tranny is a new upgrade/option for 2013 over 2012 and getting good reviews. Is that a meaningful improvement over the 2012 transmission in the dodge/cummins dually set up does anyone have any insight. I'm not quite ready to pull any triggers just yet so may as well keep asking questions I guess.....this part is free!

i dont guess ford did a reprogram on your 03 truck if your still getting that mileage. they did mine at 7500 miles and i went from 21 mpg on highway to 15 only on good days. plus a loss in power. i would like to find someone to fix that. my 06 250 now has around 48k on it. no other complaints than that. the local dodge dealership had a leftover 12 white dually i kept my eye on. I almost checked to see what kind of deal i could get . but mine is paid for. just couldnt think about going back in debt right now

Last edited:
i dont guess ford did a reprogram on your 03 truck if your still getting that mileage. they did mine at 7500 miles and i went from 21 mpg on highway to 15 only on good days. plus a loss in power. i would like to find someone to fix that. my 06 250 now has around 48k on it. no other complaints than that. the local dodge dealership had a leftover 12 white dually i kept my eye on. I almost checked to see what kind of deal i could get . but mine is paid for. just couldnt think about going back in debt right now

The fuel mileage will get better actually on those a they get more miles on them....crazy but it's pretty widely confirmed.

If you want to get the power back have ficmrepair drop the atlas tune into your ficm the early program EATS /ficms because of the way the alt doesn't feed it.

The fuel mileage will get better actually on those a they get more miles on them....crazy but it's pretty widely confirmed.

If you want to get the power back have ficmrepair drop the atlas tune into your ficm the early program EATS /ficms because of the way the alt doesn't feed it.
are you saying ficmrepair can put mine back to the original specs from when I bought it? like I said when I bought my truck it was getting around 21 mpg on highway. and had good power until ford messed with it. I was pissed .

Interested in the trans service....13 times. WOW
IS that a drain and fill or are you changing the filter as well?
Ron, every 30K put it on the machine, change the fluid, change the external filter. Every 90K pull the pan and change the internal filter. Number 13 was at 390K which was one where we pulled the pan, the next one will be at 420K. all done by Dickerson in York or Killians in Clover. If you happen through York and have a minute stop in the Ford Dealer and ask one of them about my truck.

Yep, several times. I told the Dealership in York that the more miles I roll up the better the mileage. This sure seams to be the case. I think the secret to the 6.0L is to drive them. When I start mine in the morning many days it will run hard for 8 to 10 hours without a break. Keep them serviced and clean and they will be trouble free. This truck had 3 miles on it when I picked it up at the dealer in York in April of 2003.

FICMRepair can put several different tunes on it. If you have EGT and other monitoring, you can go with the Atlas 80 or even the Hurcules and get good power and better fuel mileage.

I have the Atlas 40 and it does pretty good.

what kind of mileage do you get out of the atlas 40? I have an edge. i havent installed my egt probe yet . been waiting to install a turbo back exhaust

I still get around 17 with the Atlas 40 tune. I have a Banks 6-gun but I'm hesitant about putting it on as I don't have head studs and haven't had time to install the EGT probe.

Keep in mind, 80% of my driving is on the highway and usually the bed is full of race gear. If I was empty on the highway, I'm sure I could get it up to 18 or 19. Also, I always drive the crap out of my truck (read=lead foot). So, that doesn't do me any favors either :D

I have the Atlas 40 tune in mine and only chance Ive had to check it I got 17.5 running 75-80 down the interstate with an ATV in the bed.

No FICM will not reload the original tune,and you dont want it. FICMs wont last more than 50k with the original tune. Period. It was a 94% failure recall.

Yellow, I know Danny and Bobby very well in York. I'll have to ask 'em about it.

If you dont mind me asking what are they charging to do the tranny service...Want to see if I want to do it there or the driveway. Mines got 180k on it now and its never been serviced. I checked the fluid this weekend and its a little dark...not bad burned just a little dark. So its probably time.

Ron

I think an oil change and tranny flush/change is north of $300 at Dickerson. Yep, Bobby or Danny can tell you all about it. Filters and fluids is over half of this amount. Another option for you is Killian's in Clover, see Dan. They are a little less.

Flint

I think an oil change and tranny flush/change is north of $300 at Dickerson.

$300 x 13... maybe Rob has the right idea after all. Just keep driving, maybe check the engine oil level every 25k. Cheaper that way. ;)

Back